Author Topic: Well done Kulyok  (Read 5912 times)

Varel1

Well done Kulyok
« on: July 21, 2008, 07:53:38 AM »
I played Icewind Dale about 5 years ago and was frankly bored, but your mod has transformed a dull game into an immersive, interesting playing experience. You have created believable characters with their own strengths and vulnerabilities. You have suceeded in giving Icewind Dale a "replayability factor" - no small feat.

Prior to this game, I played Mass Effect and I believe your characters are more detailed and finely drawn than those to be found in that game, - with the possible exception of Ash.

Some of your dialogue caused me to laugh out loud - e.g. "Icewind Dale more like Icewind Caverns".

One query, why no "morning after talk" - or did I move too quickly and miss it?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Well done Kulyok
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:17:52 AM »
Thank you! If you're planning to (re)play Icewind Dale 2, I recommend Domi's IWD2 NPC Project - it's very good.

I wish I could include a morning after talk(all my "spend a night together" talks for Xan/BG1 NPC romances have one), but, unfortunately, the game's engine does not allow that. So, no, you didn't miss anything.

Offline Abigail

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 07:38:01 AM »
Let me join in with congratulations :) You made me finish IWD I for the first time and it was a pleasure. Still, as enjoyable as it was, I don't think I'd want to play the game again anytime soon, so I'm glad you had written the romances the way you did, so that the player doesnt't have to choose until it's almost over. I chose Korin, but I really liked Holvir too, even though paladins are usually not my thing. At first I was a little bit dissapointed that you couldn't romance Severn too, but his relationship with Teri was brilliant :) BTW, if you could give me a little spoiler - what happens when male PC romances Teri? Does she choose him over Severn and what does the poor guy do?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 01:35:26 PM »
Oh! It is a spoiler, but...

(spoiler!)

Teri: ~<CHARNAME>, imagine you are in love.~

Teri: ~...So, you're in love.  Imagine that you don't know how she feels about you.  You'd like to know - you are ready to steal and use the Heartstone Gem, no less! - but you don't.  And you are wondering, wondering and wondering, but you are afraid to approach the subject of your feelings.~

Teri: ~And maybe there is some other bard, who says openly he... er, she... is in love with you, but you are still wondering about your - about the other, so you just don't know what to answer!  Because from the start, you've been thinking about someone else.~

Teri: ~So you decide to talk openly and to learn about his - damn, I meant her! - feelings, because you think it's the only way.  What do you think she will tell you?~

++ ~She?  You mean, he?  That is, you mean, me?~ + t11.pc4
++ ~She... er, he... will answer that he is in love with you, and that he is grateful to you for this confession.~ + t11.yes
++ ~He will say that he is sorry, but he does not feel this way about you.~ + t11.no
++ ~Teri, I really do not understand what you are talking about.~ + t11.pc4
++ ~What about Severn?  I thought he cared about you.~ + t11.pc3severn
END

IF ~~ t11.pc3severn
SAY ~He does, and I care for him, but I also have feelings for someone else, stronger feelings.  Which is why I want your advice.~

... and so on. So, the choice is Teri's - but it also belongs to the player.

Offline Cal Jones

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 04:27:27 PM »
Wanted to add my appreciation for this mod. I've just reached the Severed Hand and am impressed thus far. The quality of the portraits and voicing is excellent. Nice one.
(And damn, which man to choose? I thought Holvir at first, but the way Korin says "command me" is so hot!)  :P

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:58:59 AM »
Heheh. Well, as for Korin, you're in for some hysterics - it _was_ elven land, after all. But it may end well... or not? I forgot.

Offline Angua

• Werewolf
  • Planewalker
  • Grrr
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 06:19:00 AM »
the way Korin says "command me" is so hot!

Oh god yes it is.  ;D
The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.

Offline Cal Jones

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »
OK, well I've finished now and I have to say this was an awesome mod. I liked how the characters interacted with the various areas and how their own stories tied in - as a whole, it was very well thought out.
I chose Korin in the end, though I was torn, but I had no regrets (I did quickly reload a save to see what would happen if I chose Holvir and I think I made the right decision, heh). Props for making two appealing romanceable males when Bioware couldn't even manage one.

Right, back to playing with Xan for the first time.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 12:53:54 PM »
Thank you! Have a great weekend. And if you have a game with a male fighter protagonist who's just done de'Arnise Keep quests, hang on to it.

Offline Cal Jones

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 03:59:17 AM »
Oooh unfortunately not... Last time I played with a male was before the problem that lead to my HD being reformatted, so I don't have any of those saves. I'll have to make a new one (once I've done with Xan, of course).

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 09:58:55 AM »
No problem, I got you a save and some instructions via PM at G3. Do check it soon, though, because if you'll spend the next few days playing Xan instead, I'll be flattered as a modder, but we'll be left without a RE release!

Offline lightsfantastic

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 01:26:30 PM »
I joined just to say how much I love this mod.  It really is like playing BG for the first time.
Any ideas for say an evil, or less goody-goody group?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 01:58:22 PM »
Thank you! I've done some evil (I think) stuff for The Broken Hourglass, and when the Evil Overlord is editing it, it tends to become even *more* evil, so... yeah. Wait for it.

With Icewind Dale, it's pretty impossible to gather an evil or even an "I-don't-give-a-damn" group, because the game is built upon altruistic motives - the party doesn't have _any_ incentive to wander forth, there is a total absence of evil choices, so maximum you'd achieve is either a Xan-like group of whiners "Oh, Bhaal, why do we keep saving all these kittens?" or a group that looks very, VERY silly: they'll keep talking about doing Crazy and Cool Stuff, but in reality they'll just keep saving kittens, 'cause that's what the game offers.

(And, sure, I prefer Good Guys. Or Good Sarcastic Guys. We click. )

And welcome to PPG!

Offline Daulmakan

• Comfortably numb
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 09:08:47 PM »
I just finished the game with Icewind Dale NPC installed.

This mod is sheer brilliance. In fact, I think this one is your best mod yet (and that's saying something!).

Thank you.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 12:37:24 AM »
Thank you for saying so! I very much enjoyed making the mod, too.

I have to echo Domi's words and say that IWD mods are less popular than BG2 ones(just saw the dl stats today, thanks to Jason: while they were very-very goodfor IWD NPC in the first month, now they dropped around... well, around. I mean, Tiax got more downloads!), but it just means that every comment becomes that more precious to me.

(Aaaand yesterday I saw a post in LJ saying that the magazine with my short story finally got published! Well-done-me! :) )

Offline Cal Jones

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 06:15:02 PM »
I guess it's because the IWD games are (generally) less replayable than BG2, but this, and Domi's IWD2 NPC mod, make them a lot more fun. I'd say the one disadvantage this mod has is that there are just the five NPCs, so, romances aside, you'll see most of the content on one playthrough. On the other hand, this mod has a lot of nice touches - I particularly liked the beginning and end talks where everyone introduces themselves, and the numerous scenery-related dialogues. Overall it's really nicely done and very polished.

Edwyn

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 01:30:18 AM »
Wanted to let you know that I'm having a wonderful time playing this mod. Having talkative NPCs along make the game so much more enjoyable & immersive. For example, having Nella in your party, who deeply cares about & mourns for Arundel, makes the story so much more interesting & personal.

Speaking of Nella, I totally love her character. She's what I always envisioned a Female Druid to be like. I also love her voice, it fits her perfectly and is very well done. If Nella was in BG2 I wouldn't even bother letting Jaheira out of her cage.  ;D

Teri makes me laugh & I love her voice as well. Its so cute & playful & makes the character a lot of fun. I'm actually enjoying all the characters & their voice work but in particular the 2 ladies. You've created some interesting characters & certainly picked voices that match their personalities.

The only critique I would have is that they all seem to get along just a little too well. I realize they're suppose to be good heroes, but I think a little more arguing & bickering between characters would have spiced it up a bit more.

Anyway, a big thanks to you & all who helped you create another Great mod.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 08:11:05 AM »
Good to hear it worked for you! I am very happy with IWD NPC voice work, too. It took some time and effort(from their side; me, I was mostly sending around hopeful e-mails), but the result is worth it.

I guess some bits of the mod reflect my own preferences at that time - I wanted to summon a spirit of friendship, so that everyone in the group would be comfortable with each other, and it seems they did. "For some things to live some things have to be sacrificed," so possibilities for conflict were limited. Although Teri-Holvir banters make me smile. :)

Again, glad you enjoyed. I find writing for (different) female characters rather difficult, so compliments are doubly appreciated.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: