Author Topic: Arcanum of Steamworks & Magick Obscura  (Read 8553 times)

Offline MrFrost

• Throw Back Dungeon Master
  • Planewalker
  • All Your Base Belong To Us
Arcanum of Steamworks & Magick Obscura
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:35:33 PM »
I am a big fan of this game, it is very much like the Baldurs Gate series in it's game play. A mix between fantasy and the 1800's with a fantasic world to explore and all sorts of strange quests and such. A very deep character creation system and plot, and the by far the most open ended game i had ever played to date. I believe it has close to 10 endings (few were unused but unlocked with a patch that can be found on the net). Aside from the VERY buggy game play it is a game worth playing for fans of these types of games (a dying breed, might i add) but again as said before there is a patch found on the net that fixes and unlocks just about everything. I would say this game ranks on my top 10 role playing games.

Anyhow i more or less wanted to find out if anyone has ever tried to mod this game as did with BG.

An i would also like to hear what your thoughts are about this game.
"I can kill with a single word. I can hurl a ball of fire into the midst of my enemies. I rule a squadron of skeletal warriors, who can destroy by touch alone. I can raise a wall of ice to protect those I serve. The invisible is discernible to my eyes. Ordinary magic spells crumble in my presence."

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: Arcanum of Steamworks & Magick Obscura
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 07:00:21 PM »
There was some Arcanum modding in the early days of its release, but I gather (from casual observation) that it never really caught fire, and that some of the people who started to develop skills in Arcanum modding ended up moving on to ToEE, whose engine is an outgrowth of the Arcanum engine.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:18:21 PM »
Terra-Arcanum probably has links to mods to other sites out there or you can visit their Downloads page as well.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 04:59:38 PM »
It sounds like a great game, but unfortunately the graphics are a major drawback. It's just plain awful. :(
Hang in there. I'll try to make you glad you did.
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Three mods you shall make - one too bad and one to dread and one to love.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 07:36:57 PM »
It is a great game. Play it a while and you'll get used to those sucky looking characters.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Bookwyrme

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 12:24:58 AM »
I keep telling her that, and she keeps not believing me.
Stop by my blog over at Bookwyrme's Lair, my collection of reviews, pictures, and general ramblings. I also review comics and books over at FanboyNation.

Offline MrFrost

• Throw Back Dungeon Master
  • Planewalker
  • All Your Base Belong To Us
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 02:50:54 PM »
alittlew late on this one cus i forgot ever posting it but there is a graphics update you can get at the website dark raven left. makes a big difference!
"I can kill with a single word. I can hurl a ball of fire into the midst of my enemies. I rule a squadron of skeletal warriors, who can destroy by touch alone. I can raise a wall of ice to protect those I serve. The invisible is discernible to my eyes. Ordinary magic spells crumble in my presence."

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: