Author Topic: Wall-E  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Wall-E
« on: July 07, 2008, 01:23:56 PM »
Short summary: not a must-go-and-see, but a reasonably nice way to spend the time. NOT an early date movie(see below).

+ Beautiful graphics.
Really beautiful; much better than Shrek 3 or Ratatouille, even.
+ Interesting, up to "Over already? It was too short!" syndrome.
(Six or seven people left, though, and the theatre was half-empty. Some people didn't like it.)
+ Inventive jokes.
Sure, there were some bland ones(a robot trying on a bra), and one or two "Ewww!" moments("John, it's time we thought about kids!" line was horrible) but most were funny and/or sweet.

- Sexual side of Wall-E/Eva relationship was off, off, off.
They should've gone with friendship, especially since both behave like small kids. Friendship(plus a little romance) was perfect. Hells, he's *constantly* been trying to grab her. I call it strange, hence the "don't go if you've just started dating" warning: the movie encourages these little guy-grabbing-girl situations(yes, if you watched carefully, even the intimate parts), and after the movie the girl may feel obliged to comply, which sucks.
- It's possible you won't like the soundtrack.
Thomas Newman's score is perfect(even though the opening theme is soooo borrowed from "Sweeney Todd"), but "Hello, Dolly!" grates on my nerves.
- No naked Ivanova.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Wall-E
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:04:47 PM »
- Sexual side of Wall-E/Eva relationship was off, off, off.
They should've gone with friendship, especially since both behave like small kids. Friendship(plus a little romance) was perfect. Hells, he's *constantly* been trying to grab her. I call it strange, hence the "don't go if you've just started dating" warning: the movie encourages these little guy-grabbing-girl situations(yes, if you watched carefully, even the intimate parts), and after the movie the girl may feel obliged to comply, which sucks.

Wow... you make wanting to hold hands sound like being felt up in the backseat of a car. 
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Western Paladin

• You're not fooling me, 'cause I can see, the way you shake and shiver.
  • Planewalker
  • Jeepers!
    • Gibberlings Three
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 08:58:37 PM »
There is, though, something weird and unsavory and a little bit sexist about the way dating and relationships are presented in Hollywood right now, and not just in this movie. Normally I'm the first to discourage people from reading things into movies about cute little robots, but it was very noticeable.
"What was that? I couldn't hear you over the STREET JUSTICE!"
-- Stan Smith, American Dad!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 01:04:52 AM »
It was noticeable, yeah. Holding hands bit was okay(though a little repetitive); the moment when the cute insect jumps from her palm to his was lovely, and dancing in the open space, incredible; but there were other things, and there were *many*. Being felt up was one of them, by the way.

(When he was dragging her around strapped in garlands, we turned and chanted "how about a little sado-mazo?" :) )

Offline hidrogeno

• Newbotron
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 03:13:28 AM »
It was noticeable, yeah. Holding hands bit was okay(though a little repetitive); the moment when the cute insect jumps from her palm to his was lovely, and dancing in the open space, incredible; but there were other things, and there were *many*. Being felt up was one of them, by the way.

(When he was dragging her around strapped in garlands, we turned and chanted "how about a little sado-mazo?" :) )
Huh? I'm one crazed feminist who usually picks up on every sexist moment in media, but I didn't notice any overtones of particular relationship-inequality. I think they did a good job of portraying that all of his emotional cues has been shaped by years and years of watching "Hello, Dolly!" If he didn't have anything to guide his emotional development, I'd definitely be skeptical of his old-world methods of picking up a girl.

As it is, I think it's a masterpiece.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 04:54:53 AM »
I was not talking of inequality, I was talking of an obsession with things physical.

Offline Eleima

• Planewalker
  • Be warned! Stickler for spelling & continuity =*)
    • My Fanfiction.net
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 03:30:42 AM »
Okies, I know, I'm super late on this, but I just saw the movie, and I wanted to chip in my own two cents now that I have actually seen it.
I generally agree with Kulyok on the points she's raised, especially regarding the romance part.  I had a similar reaction when WALL·E was dragging Eve around with the Christmas garland (except my thoughts were more along the line of "sure, why not take a girl out and show her a good time while she's incapacitated!" ::) ).  Like Western Paladin, I have this tendency to notice the way Hollywood presents relationships recently.
*But* (and this is a big one), the movie is still cute, the graphics are gorgeous, I shed my little emotional tear towards the end (what can I say, I get choked up movies sometimes,  :P ) and one of the morals of the story is "don't rely too much on machines and try and think (not to mention move) for yourself".
Personally, I gave it a 9/10 on IMDB.
Check out my DeviantArt account<br />as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net[/font]