Author Topic: Bugs for v1  (Read 13652 times)

Offline Jazhara7

• Loony Empress of the World and Pyromantic Magpie
  • Planewalker
  • Bean Nighe on holiday
Re: Bugs for v1
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 06:02:15 AM »
(Okay, second attempt. I shouldn't be posting late in the night while having IWD running in the background. I had accidentally posted this in the "Quick reinstall question" thread.  :o )

A mistake in spelling and use of a word I've spotted just now:

In the conversation with Severn about his rotten performance in Baldur's Gate, he mentions getting to perform for the "Creme of the City". That should be "Cream of the city's (society)". "Creme" is what you might put in your face in the sense of cosmetics. "Cream" is what you find forming on top of milk and whip to put on top of cakes (the forming on top of milk part is why upper society is referred to as "cream".).

The "society" is optional, but it would be better if you used it, since just saying "Cream of the city" feels...odd. It might be just that when leaving the "society" part out, it rings too close to "Scum of the city", which is usually left without the "society" part, not even wanting to *associate* scum with society. (Incidentally, scum is also something floating on top something, namely water. However, it's always dirty water, or at the worst case, cesspools, that it forms. So better not refer to the upper class as scum, just because of this small similarity with cream. ;) :P :D )

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
I like fire. 'tis pretty.

P.s.: I have just learned that mixing fire with other things I like leaves me with less things I like.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 01:29:35 PM »
Thank you. It's a short version of "crème de la crème", of course; I'll think of expanding or changing it. On the other hand, Severn speaks with bitter sarcasm here, so if you hear "scum", you may be sure that's what he wants to say. :) Thanks again, I'll see what I can do.

Offline Jazhara7

• Planewalker
  • Bean Nighe on holiday
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 06:35:57 AM »
Kulyok, I've found a problem when first entering Wyrm's Tooth glacier. It's not a show-stopper, but rather a bit of a spoiler.

*EVERYONE WHO HASN'T PLAYED YET, THIS IS A BIG STORY SPOILER FOLLOWING. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.*

*SERIOUSLY, I AIN'T KIDDING.*

*DON'T BLAME ME IF YOU'RE SPOILED. BECAUSE I WARNED YOU!*

When entering Wyrm's Tooth, a new chapter starts, as far as I remember (Chapter 5, I think...). At the beginning of each chapter I checked for new dialogue, and when talking to Teri, I discovered I could ask her about one Brother Poquelin, and she says he's a bastard for killing you know who, and making Nella cry. Now, that's correct, but I don't remember his name being specifically mentioned in relation to this event by that point. Sure, the person who was killed did describe him (bloody arms and the like), but never actually said a name. There's hints, but we only later (chapter 6, I think) hear what Poquelin looks like, apart from the symbol he is carrying around. So when Teri exhibited such prescience, it was a bit of a hit in the face. I hadn't made the connection myself, though I had played the game before, a few years ago. So you might place this conversation in a later chapter, as it kills the immersion.

*SPOILERS END HERE*

Just a suggestion, of course. If I missed something that would make this conversation have made more sense at the place it is, please forgive me, but the way it was, it did kill the immersion in the game and mod a bit at the time.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

P.s.: I have just learned that mixing fire with other things I like leaves me with less things I like.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 07:01:50 AM »
When entering Wyrm's Tooth, a new chapter starts, as far as I remember (Chapter 5, I think...). At the beginning of each chapter I checked for new dialogue, and when talking to Teri, I discovered I could ask her about one Brother Poquelin, and she says he's a bastard for killing you know who, and making Nella cry. Now, that's correct, but I don't remember his name being specifically mentioned in relation to this event by that point. Sure, the person who was killed did describe him (bloody arms and the like), but never actually said a name. There's hints, but we only later (chapter 6, I think) hear what Poquelin looks like, apart from the symbol he is carrying around. So when Teri exhibited such prescience, it was a bit of a hit in the face. I hadn't made the connection myself, though I had played the game before, a few years ago. So you might place this conversation in a later chapter, as it kills the immersion.

Ah, yes, Chapter 5 may be a little too early. Of course, during Chapter 4 the player finds various documents that mention his name and expose him as the man-behind-the-black-curtain, but nevertheless. Thanks, duly noted.

Offline Seil

• Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 05:04:40 AM »
Just a minor typo I noticed when playing that made me snicker like mad:

In the mines of Lower Dorn's Deep (where you find Guello) I talked to a gnome who told me that I shouldn't be poking my nose in there. Korin responded to the gnome by saying something like 'Unfortunately, picking our nose is what we do'... I think he meant poking?  :P

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2008, 05:19:44 AM »
Possibly. :) Thank you for reporting.

Offline Jazhara7

• Planewalker
  • Bean Nighe on holiday
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 05:28:39 AM »

Ah, yes, Chapter 5 may be a little too early. Of course, during Chapter 4 the player finds various documents that mention his name and expose him as the man-behind-the-black-curtain, but nevertheless. Thanks, duly noted.

They do? I don't remember that. Which documents do you mean?  :o

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 05:45:17 AM »
All journals and notes, especially those two found in the cave where you find the first badge. Look them up in the IWD walkthrough(there's a link in the FAQ).

Offline Cal Jones

• Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 02:04:06 AM »
Bit of a bug in the Burial Isle section of Lonelywood.
When you speak to Mebdinga (Wylfdene's virgin), Teri has an interjection if she's close enough (something about morals). Mebdinga's next set of speech options are out of place (something about someone called Tiernon, something about porting the group out of there and a third about remaining to look around). Clicking on these options results in a CTD.
I reloaded and Teri wasn't near enough to Mebdinga to interject the next time so all went normally.

I have TOLM installed and no other mods other than the NPC pack.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 02:16:20 AM »
Okay, thanks a lot - I'll certainly fix it in the next version.

Offline Blizzard Beast

• Overambitious Drunken Lout
  • Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2008, 12:58:28 PM »
Heya everyone. New poster here, so be gentle with me...

Well, I have to report that despite being an ACE mod, IWD NPCs has several rather nasty bugs in Lower Dorn's Deep.

For the record, I'm only using four of the characters - Nella (as fighter/cleric), Holvir, Korin, and Teri (as thief/mage). The other two characters I have are Ravn, a human male fighter, and Koshchei, a necromancer (I arseholed Severn because I'm not a bard fan, and with Heart of Winter bards are a wee bit too good IMO.)

I also ought mention I'm using Vista and running the game administratively (because if I don't it shits its pants whenever I try to load a saved game.)

It's all been playing fine to now, except the following:

1. Talking to Guello the gnome in the mines for the second time, but before killing all the salamanders in that area, crashes the game.

2. After I'd beaten Marketh - or actually, let him off if he gave me his badge - Korin would keep trying to talk to me (Ravn) whenever we were all standing still. A bit like a phantom player was clicking him repeatedly. Even after other banters this persisted.

3. Having beaten Malavon, Nella said how she went weak at the knees when Malavon threatened to kill off all the slaves. I clicked Continue, and the game carket it with that "spang" noise.

While here, I think I'll make a few comments on the mod in general. I like it. Although I think there'd be room for a few other choices of NPC. For instance, what would a dwarf think about the ongoings in Dorn's Deep and suchlike? Or what about a barbarian, who could chip in in Heart of Winter?

Romantic prospects - Spoilt for choice really! Teri isn't as annoying as I feared she would be, and Nella's pretty cool.

That's about it really.
"Xanathar the Elder Orb swore that he would never again use vacuum-powered airline toilets."

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2008, 01:31:54 AM »
Hello!

Welcome to PPG, and thank you so much for reporting: I'll check these out, and hopefully they'll be fixed for v2.

Glad you liked the mod!

Offline Fatal Error

• Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 04:50:06 AM »
 In Kuldahar as the group enters the airship a conversation concerning the craftsmanship of weaponry occurs between Holvir and Nella. It's a discussion meant for the blacksmith, isn't it? If this has been mentioned already... my bag.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2008, 09:52:19 AM »
It's the engine limitation mentioned in the readme: if you don't stop for a second or two in new areas, banters are delayed - until the group enters the airship, in your case. Sorry about that; there's not much I can do, except for the "stop often" advice.

Offline Fatal Error

• Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2008, 06:31:51 PM »
OK thanks... it did seem odd to me that no one had reported it.  ;) I do wonder now if I have encountered an actual bug though in that Teri will no longer banter with my character. The last banter I had with her was when my character winked at her - her response was to ignore my character. OK, but this was shortly after we first got to Kuldahar and now we are about halfway through the Vale of Shadows. The other characters continue to respond as they have throughout the game. Anyway, I hope this isn't another "bug" of my own design. Is it a design feature for her to be noncommunicative at times or has something odd happened in my game? And thank you for your mod - Icewind Dale has previously held little interest for me.  EDIT: One more thing - Teri has been a 20-magnet and has died twice. I know it can affect area-specific banters but a character dying does not kill the overall interactive aspect of any character, does it?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 06:37:38 PM by Fatal Error »

Offline Fatal Error

• Planewalker
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2008, 11:19:20 PM »
Just ignore any future "bug" reports from me... everything's working fine now.  ;)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2008, 04:09:51 AM »
Okay, glad to hear it.

Jeroen

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2008, 09:09:18 AM »
From what I know, it is not possible to assign subtitles in the game's engine: if it were(and I knew it), I'd have gladly included them into v1. But if I am mistaken, and it is possible, please, tell me about it, and I'll add them for v2.

Without having tested anything much, it always seemed to me that CHARSTR.2DA serves exactly this purpose. Is this just something you haven't tried yet, or is there a reason why it doesn't work?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »
Unfortunately, I do not know how this file works - and whether it exists in IWD at all(I don't see it in my files, for example).

PINKPANTER

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2008, 04:40:19 PM »
Hi Kulyok and thank you so much for this mod! Loving it.

Just had a problem that I can´t seem to get resolved no matter how much I search the Net. Don´t know if it is related to Your mod in any way but...

When I try to enter the main tomb in the Vale of Shadows the game saves but then crashes when it starts to load...

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2008, 03:12:59 AM »
I think it may be a problem with your game - the area is corrupted, perhaps?

Try this: kill all your party members and try to enter alone. If the area loads for your PC and everything is all right, it may be mod-related. If it still crashes, then your area files are faulty.

I can only advise getting a "good" installation - cleaning your CD's(re-downloading the game via torrent files like thepiratebay.org is illegal in most countries, so, clearly, I cannot advise that), or buying a new game, or reinstalling.

PINKPANTER

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2008, 04:46:51 AM »
OKay, I have the CD`s so there is no problem if I have to re-install. Can I store my savegames somewhere else and still play them after reinstalling? I tried killing everyone but my PC and it still crashed...

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2008, 05:09:56 AM »
You can store your savegames, sure, but you need to do exactly the same installation - you have to store your Weidu.log(not in your game directory, somewhere else) and use exactly the same mod installation order after reinstall.