Author Topic: Bugs for v1  (Read 13654 times)

SMichelle

Bugs for v1
« on: July 05, 2008, 07:12:57 AM »
Perhaps I've messed something up during the installation process.  After the characters introduce themselves at the start of the game I speak to a random "townsperson" about the town.

He mentions a messanger.  The PC asks "What did the messanger say?"

Townsperson: "I don't know blah blah (can't remember what he said)   ::)

Nella interjects: "No it cannot..Kuldahar needs our help....It must be no small matter indeed."

Townsperson: "You go ask Hrothgar then"

*Nella repeats*:"No it cannot...blah blah
*townsperson repeats: You go ask Hrothgar...

This converstation just keeps repeating with no way (that I can see) of escaping.  I have IWD and HoW installed and no other mods. 

As no one else seems to have this problem I figured it was something I did during installation.  I thought about uninstalling and than re-installing the mod but was unsure if this would cause more problems.  Or I can just avoid the above conversation with random townspeople. 

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Bugs for v1
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 07:52:42 AM »
I just tried to re-create it, and, yeah, if worked for me, so I think(I'm almost sure) it's a reinstallation issue. No worries, you'll be all right in a minute. Do you have a clean backup of your override directory and your dialog.tlk, like the one I was writing about in the mod's readme? If you do, please, delete your override directory, your mod directories, and Weidu.log, and restore the backup. Then instlall IWD NPC, and you are ready to go. If you don't have a clean backup, it's a reinstallation(+15 minutes), not so nice, but still fast enough.

Offline Aftiel

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 11:27:44 PM »
First, I love what I've seen of the mod so far. Congrats to both Kulyok and everyone else involved on the wonderful result. This has been the first time I've played the game past Wyrm's Tooth, all previous attempts given up out of boredom. I definitely look forward to seeing the rest of it.

I've got a recurring crash right after entering Malavon's Dome (AR8010) in Chapter 6 immediately following this line:

Holvir: Teri, have you checked the traps yet?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 01:05:35 AM »
Okay. First, welcome to PPG, and second, I'll try and test it tonight one more time.

I know it worked for me, so for now I can offer
0) if you don't have a clean backup(you should!) - kill Holvir(or both Holvir and Teri), do everything in Malavon's Dome, then bring them back outside and watch the banter
OR
1) uninstalling the mod, installing it again and reloading
OR
2) restoring a clean backup(see the readme as to how it's done), and installing the mod anew.

Offline Kitana

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 06:25:22 AM »
I'm up to Chapter Four - this is honestly my first real runthrough of Icewind Dale, as I never got past the Vale of Shadows before. I'm wishing I'd remembered to install TotL beforehand, but ah well. I'm very impressed.

Just after defeating Yxonomei, I forgot to pause when I went into my inventory screen, and was inside a scroll bag at the time that the combat ended (I'd been waiting for the cloudkill/stinking cloud/whatever she uses to clear). At this point, when I can assume a dialog would have triggered, the game crashed to desktop.

I reloaded, played through the fight again, and was careful to stay out of my inventory when I beat her, and this time the dialog worked just fine with no problems at all.

As far as I know, if you're just in the inventory screen and unpaused it'll go back to the main game window and trigger the dialogs without a problem; I'm not sure if it was being inside a scroll case/gem bag/potion case that caused the crash. If that happens for anyone else, it might be something to warn people about.

I'm worried about accidental loss of progress/possible saved file corruption (this is the first time I've gotten this far in the game), which is why I haven't tried to replicate the crash to see if it happens regularly.

Other than that - like I said, I'm impressed. I haven't run into any other bugs at this point in the game, and I'm really growing rather fond of the characters.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 06:33:29 AM »
So, when the game is unpaused, the inventory is open(perhaps a gem/scroll bag), and the banter is due to trigger, the game may crash? I will test it tonight, as well: thank you for sharing! And glad you're enjoying it, naturally.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 01:55:57 PM »
Okay, from my computer the banter seems to trigger fine both from the inventory screen and from a container screen. Maybe something else played a role - anyway, I hope it doesn't happen again.

Once again, a reminder: if you don't have Tales of the Luremaster, please, download and install the latest HoW patch.

Installation order: IWD - HoW - TotL (OR the latest patch for HoW) - backup your dialog.tlk+override folder - IWD NPC.

And, just in case, please, save often.

Offline Aftiel

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 10:02:24 PM »
Ok, after reverting to the backup and reinstalling the mod, the problem persists. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling all aspects of the game, and am running no other mods but the tweak pack.

The same issue also occurs with Teri/Severn's talk about the bearskin rug in Old Dorn's Palace (AR8007), and all talks with the freed priests of Ilmater, (including speaking with Brother Perdiem even when Holvir has been "removed" from the coversation  :'()

Any help would be appreciated, I'm so close to the end, that I hate to think I'd never be able to see the ending.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:22:27 PM by Aftiel »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 01:08:39 AM »
Yes, I understand, and I will do my best to help. Is your game patched? Do you have TotL installed? Have you tried (repeatedly) "dispel magic" on your party members, including the protagonist - it may be a curse?

Offline Aftiel

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 06:03:52 AM »
The game is fully patched with ToL installed. I'll try playing with the in game effects, but the different places it happens make me wonder if it's really something like that.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 06:26:27 AM »
I know, it might be something else, but just in case, try dispelling - perhaps it will help. One more thing: do you have group AI on(I think it's a button in the bottom right corner)? Also, it may be that one of your characters lost his/her banter file - you're sure you haven't used Dale Keeper?

Let's try and debug your saved game: please, e-mail me with your saved game and your Weidu.log: kulyok, at yandex.ru.

Offline Aftiel

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 03:03:26 PM »
No luck with either dispel or disabling the AI.

I hadn't broken out the Dale Keeper yet, I wanted my first full playthrough to be mostly honest (with the occasional use of ExploreArea() and ctrl+J).

The files should be in your inbox.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 03:06:37 PM by Aftiel »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 01:21:35 AM »
Got them, thank you.

Please, check your mail: first, I'll need your entire saved game folder, zipped(.sav is not enough, unfortunately - sorry for that); and second, I suspect that installing IWD NPC after other mods(just like FAQ recommends) is a good idea - just like with BG2 Fixpack and BG2 NPC mods, it's better to install assorted fixes and the like first, and NPC mods - afterwards.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 10:30:15 AM »
Got it, finally! For some reason, Teri's dialogue file was missing(not the file itself, but your saved game's reference to it). I don't know how, and I don't know why, but I restored it anyway. Check your mail - it should be working now.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 01:27:51 AM »
For those watching: yes, the issue's been solved. It appears that Teri's dialogue file disappeared around the time she's been petrified(possible, but not certain). So, watch out.

Sable

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 05:57:18 AM »
First of all, I *adore* this mod!  Props to you for creating the first paladin (or paladin-esque) NPC I didn't want to dropkick and might actually want to romance  ;D

I'm not sure if this little glitch was caused by IWD NPC or something else; the only other thing I have is the TweakPack, which I installed before the NPCs.  I got to the chat with Mebdinga and when she asked me to leave the tombs, I got the option of asking her to teleport me to Tiernon--the same option you get while talking to the Seer.  It's not a game-stopping bug, but it certainly was a little weird.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 06:21:18 AM »
Oh, yes, my fault. Thank you - will be corrected in the next version; I hope it didn't inconvenience you much.

Sable

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 05:00:54 AM »
One more: sorry to bother you again.  I think the Transition Area in Chapter Five might be bugged; it's letting me access the cave to start Chapter Six before I get Joril's Badge (or even set foot in the Frost Giant Caverns)--don't you need the badge first?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 05:27:32 AM »
I agree, I don't like it, either, but it's vanilla game behavior - it's got nothing to do with the mod.

Offline KIrving

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
Not a bug, just a typo, (which makes it my bad for not seeing it during the proofreading :-[ ),

(First, I think, Severn initiated talk with the PC where he talks about the rotten performance in Baldur's Gate.)
Severn - It was my first, so I was nervous and sober.  And that's far worse than being nervous and drunk, let me tell you.  My nervousness mostly stemmed from the part that I've been invited to entertain the creme of the city: (etc)
I'd
Look at the stars.
Listen to the rain.
Walk backwards.
Talk to a rock.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 12:28:17 AM »
Ah, yes. Thank you!

Offline hidrogeno

• Newbotron
  • Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 03:15:55 AM »
I've found something that is not exactly a 'bug,' but definitely something to remedy in the next versions. Apparently the voices of the cast do not have set subtitles. It's definitely not the highest priority, but it would be nice to be able read the occasional inaudible word.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 03:29:39 AM »
From what I know, it is not possible to assign subtitles in the game's engine: if it were(and I knew it), I'd have gladly included them into v1. But if I am mistaken, and it is possible, please, tell me about it, and I'll add them for v2.

Offline Kenji

• Planewalker
  • Yield and Repent!!
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 10:40:19 AM »
Dunno if this is spamming, but I just wanna be impressed and shocked by how much Kulyok has to test every day...

Heh, there should be a specifically "Thank You" forum for all the guests and members to show their gratitude towards the hardwork of the team ;D

well, I need one to post since all I can say on this forum is: "Thanks PPG!!"?
Quote from: George Lopez
Asians are just Mexicans with sun in their eyes

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 11:32:45 AM »
It's not that much work, honestly: writing it was more time-consuming(though that was the pleasant part :) ). Did you like it? If yes, that's really all I need.

(And, yes, "Thanks PPG!!" is nice, too.)