Author Topic: BG2010  (Read 3285 times)

Alyssa

BG2010
« on: July 23, 2010, 11:11:19 AM »
I played BG2/ToB back years ago, but I never touched the first Baldur's Gate.  I started playing NWN and the PW I was in was rebuilt from the Sword Coast area, complete with the Friendly Arms inn, Candlekeep, and Durlag's Tower.  I loved the area, but always felt that I was missing something because I never experienced the first Baldur's Gate.

Since there's been a lack of quality RPGs with character story focus, I've went ahead and bought a copy of BG1, which should arrive in the next couple days.  I've already installed BG2 and TOB, and they're modded.  When I read about Tutu, it sounds great, as I'd like to start as a Wild Mage.  Which brings me to my dilemma.

There's a copy of Tutu and EasyTutu.  From the readme, it states EasyTutu should be the correct install, yet on clicking it, the readme states it hasn't been updated for over 3 years, which worries me.  I've also seen a post or two saying certain mods are not compatible with EasyTutu, but are with Tutu.

So to make it simple so even I can understand, I have a few questions.  To give an idea of mods I use, I've included a couple I use currently.

1) Should I install Tutu or EasyTutu?  I've read the Tutu directions and it looks straightforward, but if Easy is better/updated/etc, I just assume use it.  Which is better?

2) What are the core mods that are must-haves?  (Eg. BG2 Fixpack, BG2 Tweaks, BG2 Questpack, Unfinished Business, etc), and what are some suggested optional mods? (Kelsey, Imoen Romance, Dungeon-B-Gone) mods?

Thanks for the help in advance, and kudos for PocketPlane for keeping BG2 alive and well!

--Ali

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: BG2010
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:30:09 AM »
EasyTutu has one advantage: it keeps your BG2 installation intact and adds a Tutu installation, so you're able to play both EasyTutu and BG2. With Tutu, you have to uninstall Tutu first to be able to play BG2.

I advise BG1 NPC, Widescreen mod for widescreen monitors, Level1NPC and BG2 Tweaks. Other mods are optional - NPCs like Gavin and Finch, Coran/Xan/Ajantis friendship, miniquests and encounters by Jastey, and so on.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:03:31 PM »
Just a point to add: most mods that are compatible with Tutu will say so. As far as I know, there is no mod that is compatible with Tutu v4 that is incompatible with EasyTutu. EasyTutu is not Tutu Lite. You get all the features you want, but as Kulyok says, you avoid having to alter your BG2 installation just to play BG1. That is a huge advantage.

It has been a while since EasyTutu has been updated, but that may be because there has been no need to update it. EasyTutu has been stable for years on a variety of platforms, so the age of the download should not discourage you from using it. Of course, if you play a non-English edition of the game, you will probably need to use Tutu v4, but I can think of no reason to recommend it to a player with an English installation.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 11:29:35 PM »
2) What are the core mods that are must-haves?  (Eg. BG2 Fixpack, BG2 Tweaks, BG2 Questpack, Unfinished Business, etc), and what are some suggested optional mods? (Kelsey, Imoen Romance, Dungeon-B-Gone) mods?
Most of those are mods for BG2, but you can install BG2 Tweaks on (Easy)Tutu (use whichever tweaks you want - any for BG2 only should be auto-skipped by the installer) and there's an Unfinished Business for Tutu (make sure you get the BG1UB rather than regular UB). See the Tutu mod list in my signature if you really want the full rundown (probably too much information if you're just getting started).

Alyssa

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 08:29:10 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses!  I received BG1 today, installed EasyTutu as directed, and everything works perfect.  Installed the mods and so far I think I'm good to go.

On a separate note though, I wasn't expecting to start at level 1.  With only 4 life (14 CON), I've already found that standard BG2 playstyle don't work, and only 2 spells makes ranged combat very hard.  My group of 4 (Mage/Imoen/Xav/Mont) seem to have problems with just the starting area outside Candlekeep.  I play on Core Rules.

Is it typical to have difficulty at first, or is a mage simply not a good starting class to play?

--Ali

Offline Daulmakan

• Comfortably numb
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 09:47:52 AM »
Is it typical to have difficulty at first, or is a mage simply not a good starting class to play?
Yeah, it's fairly standard, specially with that party. Mages are particularly frail at low levels. Once you get some meat shields (fighters) and level up once or twice, dying becomes a lot less likely.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 05:14:16 AM »
Although I'm late to the party, I just wanted to make a few quick points.

• EasyTutu was last updated 15 months ago - not three years.
  • The drop-off in updates is because I consider it to be essentially finished.  I'll most likely roll in A64's Beregost fix at some point, though.
  • Almost every mod that works on Tutu will work fine on EasyTutu.  The only exception are mods which are intended to be applied to vanilla BG1 and then converted via the Tutu converter.  These are practically non-existent.

Anyway.  Enjoy your game. :)
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: