Author Topic: Greenstone amulet and chromatic orb  (Read 2768 times)

Offline frabjous

• Planewalker
Greenstone amulet and chromatic orb
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:41:45 PM »
In my EasyTutu game, the Greenstone amulet is not protecting against the stun caused by the 5th level version of Chromatic Orb. (I haven't tested to know whether or not it protects against other forms of stun.)

In Fixpacked BG2, the greenstone amulet does protect against it, and the description suggests that it should, so I think this is a bug.

I think I have the most current version of EasyTutu, but I'm not sure. (One thing that annoys me about EasyTutu is the lack of version numbers, or any convenient way to check.)

Other mods installed: Degreenifier, BG1NPC, BG1UB, 1PP, Level 1 NPCs, some stuff from G3 BG2 Tweaks, and SCS. I don't think the mods are responsible, however, since I get the same effect on another install with different mods installed. (Including no BG1UB or SCS, which would be the most likely culprits, I think.)

Anyway, I've no lost two solo "No Reload" attempts in chapter 5 on top of the Iron Throne from this, so it's a sore subject. (Darn you Naaman!)

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Re: Greenstone amulet and chromatic orb
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 04:13:25 PM »
Hi -

In my EasyTutu game, the Greenstone amulet is not protecting against the stun caused by the 5th level version of Chromatic Orb. (I haven't tested to know whether or not it protects against other forms of stun.)

Noted, thanks.

In Fixpacked BG2, the greenstone amulet does protect against it, and the description suggests that it should, so I think this is a bug.

Even though EasyTutu includes the fixpack, it necessarily does not include item-based fixes, because Tutu uses distinct item resources.

I think I have the most current version of EasyTutu, but I'm not sure. (One thing that annoys me about EasyTutu is the lack of version numbers, or any convenient way to check.)

I date-stamp all of the files.  I suppose I could start using a version specific stamp.  In any case, the presence of MACELMIN.BCS in your override will positively identify the latest and greatest.

Anyway, I've no lost two solo "No Reload" attempts in chapter 5 on top of the Iron Throne from this, so it's a sore subject. (Darn you Naaman!)

Sorry!  I sympathize with this -- playing these sorts of games as if death was final is one of my own peculiar tendencies as well.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline frabjous

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 09:34:53 PM »
Many thanks for the reply!

Even though EasyTutu includes the fixpack, it necessarily does not include item-based fixes, because Tutu uses distinct item resources.

Well, I don't know whether it works the same way without the fixpack; I just mentioned the fixpack because that's what I tested it on. (I don't see any mention of this in the fixpack documentation, but they don't document everything there.)

I date-stamp all of the files.  I suppose I could start using a version specific stamp.  In any case, the presence of MACELMIN.BCS in your override will positively identify the latest and greatest.

That's the version I have, then. A date-stamp would be welcome: or even just an inclusion of the version history (from your website) as a textfile in the game folder or something similar would make it easy to check.

Sorry!  I sympathize with this -- playing these sorts of games as if death was final is one of my own peculiar tendencies as well.

Yeah, at the moment, I'm just trying to figure out a way to keep it from happening again next run-through. I guess potions of Freedom protect against stun? (But the Free Action spell doesn't? Is that right?)

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 07:52:36 AM »
Hello -

Yeah, at the moment, I'm just trying to figure out a way to keep it from happening again next run-through. I guess potions of Freedom protect against stun? (But the Free Action spell doesn't? Is that right?)

I worked on all of the Free Action components (spell, items, potion), and my versions do protect.  Subsequently I took the spell itself from a Fixpack'ed install, so its behavior should mirror that of the fixpack (I'm not sure if fixpack has stun immunity or not).

Offline frabjous

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 08:00:39 AM »
Hello -

I worked on all of the Free Action components (spell, items, potion), and my versions do protect.  Subsequently I took the spell itself from a Fixpack'ed install, so its behavior should mirror that of the fixpack (I'm not sure if fixpack has stun immunity or not).

I think it depends on which fixpack version you used. The Fixpack has an "Optional But Cool" component called "Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun". With this component, obviously, it does. Without it, I think it doesn't.

I've heard that the original BG2 version didn't protect against stun, but does remove it from someone already stunned. The Fixpack core fixes makes it so it does nothing with stun, but the OBC component undoes that "fix" and adds stun immunity too. However, I haven't tested any of that for myself.

My own "interpretation" is that Free Action ought not protect against stun, which I interpret not as a form of paralysis or movement-restriction, but as a mental incapacitation, and hence ought to be covered by things like the Greenstone amulet and Chaotic Commands instead. But I'm not sure there are any "correct" or "incorrect" interpretations here.

All I really want is clarification, so that I know how to protect myself from getting killed again!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 08:02:25 AM by frabjous »

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 08:29:37 AM »
Greenstone amulet not protecting against stun is fixed locally.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: