Author Topic: Eurovision 2008  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Ana Christina

• Planewalker
Eurovision 2008
« on: May 24, 2008, 05:45:02 PM »
So, Russia has won. Congratulations!

However, if anyone but me has seen the actual entries in the contest, did anyone else feel that the song wouldn't have been so successful without the magnificent swoon-worthy awesome*... great ice skating skills of Evgeni Plushenko? Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to single out the Russian song with regards to quality, for I thought that, apart from Israel and Albania, all the songs were utterly boring (especially Romania's - GAH! Why, why, why do they allow people to vote by SMS? It always leads to good artists being voted out, and mediocre artists making fools out of themselves at Eurovision). I just want to commend whoever had the excellent idea to combine an otherwise dull song with the skill of such a brilliant skater. It was absolutely amazing to see him skate again. So, yeah, congratulations! I was totally shocked when I saw him there and, while not one of his truly breathtaking performances (how could it have been, considering the circumstances?), it was still grand enough for me not to notice how ordinary the song was (which I did, eventually, after the magic was over). For the curious, the performance in question can be found here (well, it's technically from the semi-finals, but it will do).

*yes, yes, Plushenko fangirl here, nothing to see.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 05:58:28 PM by Ana Christina »
Truth! Justice! Reasonably Priced Love! Freedom! And a hard-boiled egg!
--Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
Re: Eurovision 2008
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »
I stopped paying attention to anything after that Latvian pirate stuff. Genius.

Offline gertjanvh

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 08:06:04 PM »
Lost it's charm after it became a mostly political affair and some really, really awfull performances last year. In the Netherlands, only the most devoted fangay's seem to follow it.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 01:37:46 AM »
Wasn't watching - was reading Jane Austen and sleeping instead, but glad that Russia won.

I'm a horrible prude, though: I know Plushenko divorced his wife before their kid even turned a year old, so - meh.

Offline Ana Christina

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 08:20:35 AM »
The show isn't what it used to be. It may be that I have rose-coloured glasses, but 10 or so years ago, I remember watching it was a pleasure: so many original songs, and some of them good, at that! Nowadays? Meh. It's like all the contestants have some checklists handed to them before the show:

- make sure the song is in English;
- make sure that it touches on a "hot/popular topic", like love, freedom of speech, etc.
- make sure the coregraphy/costumes is where the effort actually goes; bonus points if your team dresses as "original" as possible.

...And so on. Hence, my boredom. :(

I'm a horrible prude, though: I know Plushenko divorced his wife before their kid even turned a year old, so - meh.

It's understandable. Me, I am indifferent, as his skating ability is all I care about.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 08:49:17 AM by Ana Christina »
Truth! Justice! Reasonably Priced Love! Freedom! And a hard-boiled egg!
--Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

Offline Ascension64

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 08:45:05 AM »
Hmm, yep. Eurovision 2008 didn't excite me all that much. Song quality has definitely dropped, at the expense of stagecraft. I thought the costume changes that occurred in some of the performances was quite a nifty trick, and the getting grey skin using only lights was pretty cool. But then, it's the music that you listen to when you buy the CD not the visuals.

Offline Eleima

• Planewalker
  • Be warned! Stickler for spelling & continuity =*)
    • My Fanfiction.net
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 08:50:57 AM »
The show isn't what it used to be. It may be that I have rose-coloured glasses, but 10 or so years ago, I remember watching it was a pleasure: so many original songs, and some of them good, at that! Nowadays? Meh. It's like all the contestants have some checklists handed to them before the show:
- make sure the song is in English;
- make sure that it touches on a "hot topic", like love, freedom of speech, etc.
- make sure the choreography/costumes is where the effort actually goes; bonus points if your team dresses in white.

And don't forget!!!
Either have:
a) a young, sexy girl in skimpy clothing with guys dancing all around her.
OR
b) a young, sexy guy with his shirt open and a figure skating champion dancing around him in circles.

Gosh, now I'm being mean... :( sowy...
Check out my DeviantArt account<br />as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net[/font]

Offline Lysan Lurraxol

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 03:21:35 PM »
Wasn't watching - was reading Jane Austen and sleeping instead, but glad that Russia won.

I wouldn't describe that as prudish. I'm very liberal ,and I think that that kind of behaviour makes the skater a d**k