Author Topic: Cloakwood Mines Bug  (Read 15530 times)

Offline Thelastros

• Planewalker
Cloakwood Mines Bug
« on: May 05, 2008, 11:40:55 AM »
Echon, I absolutley love this mod. I did fix the NE section of Baldur's Gate bug, but I have encountered a different one. When I tried to enter the 2nd level of the cloakwood mines, the game crashed. I re-installed the mod, and tried to enter the 2nd level twice more and the game crashed both times. I have no idea what the problem is.
Thank for your help, dude!

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Re: Cloakwood Mines Bug
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 09:32:33 AM »
That sucks. Unfortunately it does not happen to me so I do not know what is wrong. Are you using any other mods together with FotD?

-Echon

Offline Thelastros

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:25:02 AM »
the only other mod i have installed is the BW herbs and potions add-inn. i tried re-installing the mod and got the same problem when i tried to enter level 2 of the mines. you don't think the problem is with who i have in my party right now do you? the 2 times this has happened i have had faldorn with my group. the first time i played thru the mod i didn't take faldorn and i didn't get this error.
thanks!

Offline Thelastros

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:11:33 AM »
i went back to my archive save, before i added faldorn to my party. the mines were no problem after that.  ;D

is anyone else experiencing a game crash if they try to take faldorn past level 1 of the cloakwood mines?

thanks.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 03:33:46 AM »
This bug seems very random. Neither the area nor Faldorn have a script which might trigger something like this. I added her to the party and went to the area without problems so I cannot even reproduce it.

Offline Shadowblade

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 04:53:09 AM »
Same here. Had the same trouble in 2005 as well - the whole of level two was missing and I got an assertion error.

An Assertion failed in
D:\Dev\Baldur\ObjCreature.cpp at line number 8786

Couldn't teleport in with a cheat code, either. Level 2 has Yeslick and Rill, so is quite important if you want to rescue the miners. I think Echon made a new copy of AR1802/04 available.

The funny thing is, is that this time through my Good party got to level 2 with no problem (Imoen, Coran, Jaheira, Faldorn, Garrick, Elf F/T) but my Evil party gets the assertion error - perhaps it's something in the save game file. The only difference is that the protagonist is CG in the Good party and NE in the Evil party. Plus the Evil party has Jaheira, Shar-Teel, Kagain, Viconia and Edwin. I can teleport to the 3rd level and complete the mine, but I can only flood the mine with the miners still in it. OK for an Evil party...

Bizzarre things like this happen with FotD. One time the Wyvern head description was replaced with that for a longbow. This time, the Cloudkill spell is replaced by the Ankheg plate armour description. There must be some unstable, randomised bug in the installation.

You also get assertion errors on the Gibberling map with the injured Samuel - this is one of the few maps Echon hasn't changed much as you still get the ring of fire resistance in the cliff face. I don't know if this is a corrupted install, though. As you go east towards the edge the game often CsTD with a creature assertion error

I love the "True AD&D 2nd edit rules" aspect of this mod. It makes you realise just how much Edwin really sucks, despite his bonus spells, and how a few invocations really make a difference. Next time, I'm taking Xzar.

~

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 08:20:08 AM »
Unfortunately there are a still a couple of random bugs that I cannot reproduce, such as these assertion errors, but I hope they will be fixed with the current WeiDU update. I have already found several bugs that have never been reported.

As for the "Gibberling" map, I believe it crashes because of something I did with the spawn points or whatever. You could try deleting AR5500.ARE from the override, load a game from before you go there and see how it behaves.

Item descriptions will be fixed in the coming update.

Offline Shadowblade

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 07:17:54 AM »
Since last posting, my party is level 7 (multi-classes mostly 6/7) and I've finished every wilderness area except Durlag's Tower, Ulgoth's Beard (and the islands), the Zombie Field and Fields of the Dead. I got into Baldur's Gate, bought some enchanted bullets and arrows and Wands of Monster Summoning and went back and killed D'rzzt.

I got round the mine problem by CLUAConsoleCreateCreaturing Yeslick and Rill and talking to them on the top level - hope I didn't miss any interesting characters or worthwhile items.

But now I've got the Baldur's Gate NE sector assertion error (I think it's 10806, I didn't write it down). I have never had this before and I've played through several times in the last few years.

So how do I fix this, as Thelastros says he ahs?

I'll search the forum, but in case I can't find it I'd appreciate some pointers.

~@

Offline Shadowblade

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 07:24:02 AM »
It's OK, I found the link to the fixfile surprisingly quickly.

~

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 09:49:32 AM »
At least that works now. I am not sure why I never mentioned that fix here on the forum.

Craftnburn

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 11:47:45 AM »
I got round the mine problem by CLUAConsoleCreateCreaturing Yeslick and Rill and talking to them on the top level - hope I didn't miss any interesting characters or worthwhile items.

I couldn't find a CreateCreature() code for Rill, so I had to find another way..  Here's what I did (and the plus is I didn't miss any content):

1. Go to the tunnel that leads from level 1 to level 2 ans save.  
2. Used Gatekeeper to alter my saved location to be on Level 2.  
3. Completed the level as normal, including Yeslick (Goodbye Branwen) and Rill.

BTW, I don't know if anyone's ever found out WHY this bug happens, but if it helps, I installed FotD After I'd already started the game (I'd already done Durlag's [without going to U's Beard] in fact) and got the Assertion error, but another character I have doesn't get error (when I MoveToArea there).  Among the differences between the two is that char1 has done bandit camp and char2 has not..

p.s. to get FotD on my map, I pasted the FotD worldmap into my save folder, and then did MoveToArea to every area I'd already visited.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 01:57:06 PM »
BTW, I don't know if anyone's ever found out WHY this bug happens, but if it helps, I installed FotD After I'd already started the game (I'd already done Durlag's [without going to U's Beard] in fact) and got the Assertion error, but another character I have doesn't get error (when I MoveToArea there).  Among the differences between the two is that char1 has done bandit camp and char2 has not.

The source of the problems with this area has not been identified but I am positive it has to do with something I have moved. I am also positive it will be gone in the next update. There is some connection between assertion errors, and actors and spawn points that have been moved, but that is all I know. Most of these relocations have been ditched in the WeiDU update.

p.s. to get FotD on my map, I pasted the FotD worldmap into my save folder, and then did MoveToArea to every area I'd already visited.

Battle of Bones should be in the upper right corner of the map from the start of the game. If you want to visit it, go to Ulgoth's Beard and then leave that area to the east.

Craftnburn

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 03:48:31 PM »
Battle of Bones should be in the upper right corner of the map from the start of the game. If you want to visit it, go to Ulgoth's Beard and then leave that area to the east.

Yes it is now.  Since I installed FotD after I'd already begun and my party was already levels 6-8 (and I didn't want to have to wait till I started a new game), I copied in the new map and did all the MoveToAreas in order to have it show up.  However I'm saving exploring it until just before I'm ready to enter Baldur's Gate itself.

Craftnburn

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 03:52:12 PM »
did all the MoveToAreas in order to have it show up.

Just realized I wasn't very clear.. I copied in the FotD worldmap to have the new area appear, but since it was an in progress game, all the other areas I'd visited Disappeared, hence all the MoveToAreas in order to put all the OTHER areas "back" on the map.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: