Author Topic: Your impressions on Assassinations  (Read 47483 times)

Offline Ryuken87

• Planewalker
Re: Your impressions on Assassinations
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 05:30:44 AM »
I've done the first 9 missions and really enjoyed them overall. Nothing was forced upon you like some other mods who put themselves at the centre of the game and I could take things at my own pace. The dialogues with Lynn were pretty good too. I would say the only thing I would have liked was a couple of missions where the target just didn't know they were being attacked before they were dead.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 06:19:16 AM »
Yes, I agree it would make a lot of sense. On the other hand, then I wouldn't have been able to tell a story(which was my major motivation in making this mod), so I'm not sure "sneak and kill him" missions would've worked well for me. Though I recall it's possible to do so with the Harpers or the inspector, at least.

Offline Abigail

• Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 05:12:14 AM »
Finished it :)
You released it in a perfect time for me as I decided to play with a neutrally-evil party and as everyone knows, being evil in BG II usually isn't easy. Doing something in evil way generally meant "receiving less experience" or "not doing it at all" (which still leads to "receiving less experience" :P), so this set of missions was like a blessing. I enjoyed all of them, they gave me a reason to stay in Athkatla a few more days :)

However, I do agree with some points made by nks aka maidros -  something even more evil would add some spice. More extensive dialogues with victims could make the decision a little bit harder too. AFAIR only a servant girl tried to explain herself and beg for her life, others didn't really leave me much choice - except for the officer, but I didn't want the adventure to end, so I killed him anyway.

Well, I'm definitely going to play this mod again :)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 05:50:48 AM »
Thank you for taking time to post your impressions!

I enjoy reading the dialogue with the victims, myself, but, unfortunately, at some point, it cannot be stretched any further, or it turns into "Please, please!" - "No, NO! Myahahaha!" - at least, for me. Melyin's dialogue and Amara's dialogue do stretch a little, and they do beg.  However,  with others, it is mostly "Mercy! - No? - Very well, then, you will not find me wanting!" It is deliberate, and it is a part of the original design: most targets are not entirely helpless, otherwise it would be a slaughter.

As for more evil missions... I admit it may be partly my fault: I view things somewhat differently, and my "really evil and morally indefensible"(if there is such a thing) may be a complete opposite of someone else's, which doesn't help. I certainly agree that you and maidros both have a point.

Offline Abigail

• Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 05:25:14 PM »

As for more evil missions... I admit it may be partly my fault: I view things somewhat differently, and my "really evil and morally indefensible"(if there is such a thing) may be a complete opposite of someone else's, which doesn't help. I certainly agree that you and maidros both have a point.

Oh, don't get me wrong - it's not like I would kill any of those people in real life :D I'm not an expert when it comes to D&D or Forgotten Realms, but moral standards in BG do seem to be rather... different. Or, more accurately - standards are fine but their implementation is a completely different story. During the game you kill a lot of people, not always simply in self-defence (like in that mission for Edwin when he's still in Mae'var's guild etc.), so I think some of the missions in Assassinations just don't appear THAT evil in relation to the usual game.

Offline ardek

• Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2008, 08:40:19 PM »
I've been stalking here for ages, thinking about actually giving my thoughts on the PPG mods that I've played (it's the least I can do after all the work that everyone's put into them) although it was my first impressions on the mod made me decide to actually make an account... Then I remembered that I'd already made one aaaaggggeeessss ago  ;D

If found the start of the quest chain to be extremely well paced, "Mysterious note - Awesome! ... Simple test of trust - Ooh nice touch ... And now the first mission ... Excellent!"... Unfortunately that's when the problem began.

I could only make it as far as coming face to face with my target during the first mission - I tend to play as "good" characters and the moment that that man starting begging and pleading for his life I realised that I wouldn't be able to go through with it  :'( ... (well, I did kill him, twice in fact, but I felt bad and ended up reloading to before I murdered him and just let him go). Long story short: I love what little I've seen and consider the fact that the mod caused me to feel that sorry for that man as nothing but good modding.

I feel that I need to try and find something I didn't like about the mod, just to be proper.  I was going to say that it felt like an age before it tocked round to the time when I could be murderous, but then realised that this was my fault since er... I only just realised that you can use the pendulm to check what hour it is, so I ended up waiting far longer than I would have otherwise.

I guess I would have found it nice if the barman had been a little more specific about when my target would probably arrive since upon finally finding out what time it actually was I waited until the evening and then was surprised when the barman told me that it wasn't time yet, my first thoughts were that maybe I hadn't managed to intall the mod correctly and so the timer might not be working (Although upon checking the spoilers section in the readme I realised that the target wouldn't arrive until later), although if I'd known about how to check the clock sooner and not been waiting prior to the start of the evening I may well have been more patient and stuck around for long enough rather than start worrying about whether I installed the mod properly or not.

Also it occurs to me... do we know that we have to talk to the barman (I don't remember there being any hints in the missions briefing, although I admit that I might have missed it), or might it be possible to not realise that this is what you should do and just end up waiting in the bar all evening for the target to show up?  Upon entering the inn I had a moment of confusion as to how I was meant to achieve my aims.  Whilst I did think that talking to the barman for infomation was a good thing to have put in I didn't find it immediately obvious that I would need to be checking with the barman to see if the man had entered the bar (and subsequently left), I kept on looking around the bar for when my man arrived and outside its entrance in case he actually spawned outside the door.  Having said that I admit that had I not checked the readme I would have probably ended up talking to the barman at the right time anyway since the desire to see if the barman would say that it was the right time for the assassination to take place would need to be quenched at least once within the period of 3 game hours.

I feel that it's worth pointing out that even though I managed to spin out my "criticisms" more than my compliments, my positive feelings for this mod dominate any of the less positive feelings that I had for it, especially since I admit that my criticisms may well be down to me not noticing the obvious and being impatient rather than anything with the mod.

Looking forward to my evil playthrough (where I will force myself to kill all comers and kick puppies, even though it's not very nice of me) so that I can finally enjoy this mod the whole way through.  :pirate

Edited: a comma
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 03:53:11 AM by ardek »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 12:39:16 AM »
Heh. Thanks a lot.

(I *was* curious if I was the only one who had qualms about killing Lord Melyin! Now I know!)

Offline ardek

• Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 03:53:45 AM »
Any time.

;D I find it amusing that you had qualms about killing someone that you yourself created.  Glad to see that I'm not the only one who felt guilty.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 04:29:16 AM by ardek »

Offline PrincessSuzie

• Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 03:38:48 AM »
I'm really enjoying this mod! Thank you for yet another awesome mod, Kulyok!  :)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 04:59:17 AM »
Thank you. :)

lulz

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 05:31:57 PM »
:-ban

Offline DeathKnight1728

• Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 11:53:59 AM »
Hi everyone, I just started playing the Assassinations mod. I beat the 1st quest and I am completely obsessed with it. I even think it's better than the Dungeon Crawl. Though I will admit I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Other than that:

Congrats to Kulyok, and everyone else that made this mod. Know that you give me inspiration!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 11:58:51 AM »
Thank you. Inspiration is the greatest thing of all.

I hope the mod's voice actors will not disappoint, either. By the way, one of the mod's editors has a birthday today . :)

Offline DeathKnight1728

• Planewalker
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 02:16:03 PM »
Well then tell that person I said happy birthday.

Anyway, So far what I like most about the mod is that it is very realistic in that you have to pull things off like an expert in stealth. No charging into a group full of people, and screaming: Prepare to die!. It just wont work that way. One thing I will say is that you must seriously plan before you attack, and don't let the guards see you or you are screwed. I guess the best thing about the mod is that I finally feel like Artemis Entreri.

Offline Cal Jones

• Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2008, 07:44:34 PM »
I've just started this today and am on to my fourth mission.
I don't normally like to play an evil character (mine are typically neutral) so some of the missions have given me qualms, but that's all to the good. I felt bad about Lord Melyin and the Inspector but not about the servant girl - she was a husband-stealing liar, after all.  ;D

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2008, 03:22:02 AM »
Heheh. :)

Offline evildevil

• Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2008, 11:03:38 PM »
I only played the initial mission thus far, but I have one mild complaint from my perspective. The journal entry is entitled "Assassinations" as soon as Bernard gives the note to Charname. Unless I completely missed it, there is no way the party would know that it's for anything of that nature until later on. Other than that, I'm enjoying the mod, though I haven't gotten too far into it.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2008, 11:59:19 PM »
Yes, it's possible to correct this in the next version. And glad you're enjoying the mod, naturally.

Offline Prine

• Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2008, 06:30:35 PM »
Well, I played it through to the ninth mission so far and enjoyed it a lot. I like the fact that just about everyone involved is in some way morally questionable, it gives the whole thing kind of a gritty feel. Felt notably conflicted over the first, third, fourth and eighth assignments... probably the fourth and eighth moreso than the others, since you're literally doing your employer's own dirty work. The characters and brusque dialog are very well written in general, I really loved Kern's characterisation as a burnt out killer. The intrigue is well done. Also liked that the fights weren't all absurdly difficult, though a few of them were challenging enough to be fun.

Suggestions... I haven't played it thoroughly enough to comment on most of the party member interjections, but I did have Jaheira with me and thought her reaction to one of the missions in particular stood out. Frankly I'd have expected her to attack me outright for it. Maybe two different reactions for her depending on how far along the business with Galvarey has gone? I liked Yoshimo's little interjection during the first assignment. I'm tempted to go through it with each of the NPCs just to see how they react, especially Keldorn. ;)

And I'm another one who was hovering around the tavern on the first assignment waiting for the guy to appear. I thought asking the barman might make it a little obvious what had happened when the guy turned up dead in a gutter the next morning. Could have Lynn suggest it just to give the player an idea of how to conduct it and later assignments.

Overall though, very fun mod, not as game-dominating as many I've played and a high level of polish. :)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2008, 03:29:10 AM »
Thank you. I liked writing the interjections, Edwin's and Viconia's in particular; perhaps I'll add a few more for the next version.

(And, I should really take a look at the immortal inspector thingy. :) )

Offline strayshift

• Planewalker
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 10:18:28 AM »
Played the assasination mod and for me this was excellent and was very much needed for evil characters but in addition to earlier points there were two areas I questioned in an otherwise excellent plot.

1. To me the first mission was the simple transit of a letter - it proved very little if anything - I would have preferred something that implicated the pc in a wrong doing... Perhaps tricking the p.c. in someway into fulfilling the first assassination thus compromising them?
2. The romance - to me it went against my instincts to trust an assassin - I just couldn't trust her. And that was fine since I didn't pursue it beyond a certain point, so this point is moot to some degree.

Overall though excellent and much needed for evil characters; MORE! What about a 'larceny' mod?
Cheers
G
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:21:14 AM by strayshift »

Offline strayshift

• Planewalker
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 10:24:25 AM »
Oh and a happy belated birthday...  ::)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2008, 12:30:11 AM »
Er, like 300 days belated? It's not due until late September, so. :)

Assassinations used to start straignt with mission 1, but as SimDing0 pointed out, Lynn wouldn't trust PC right away, so PC had to do something small first, to prove themselves to her.

And, yes, the romance part was supposed to be a little creepy - Lynn points straight out that she's interested in sleeping with PC because of what he is.

Offline strayshift

• Planewalker
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2008, 08:34:09 AM »
Yes I accept that - thats why I think compromising the pc is a better lever - she can always blackmail him afterwards... But excellent mod and as said much needed
G

Offline MisterDebris

• Planewalker
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
I must say I really enjoyed this mod. It was well thought out and as far as I can tell has no or very few bugs. When i first tried this i was expecting to be all sneaky and stuff but i really like that you instead went with a route where the PC interacts with the targets before taking them out because it adds a nice backing story being each of the characters. I really liked that you added the stories behind the characters because it really makes you feel bad or good about killing the target based on what kind of person they were. The only problems i had with this mod were that it was a little bit short, there wasn't a whole lot of variety in the assassinations(Find, talk to, kill) it would have been fun to change it up a bit like adding a mission where you sneak around or some thing like that, and finally that it wasn't very difficult for an experienced player. But in a way the difficulty is good because it allows for newly made pcs(and people who are new to BG) a chance at being an assassain. Now believe me when i say these complaints are pretty much just nit picking and that the greatness of this mod definantly outways any issues with it. I only brought those up to bring about some constructive criticisim. Overall this mod is awesome, it is very well put together and fun. I really enjoyed playing it and it is probably one of my favorite mods.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: