Author Topic: Concerning v1.33b19  (Read 44658 times)

Offline Taimon

• Planewalker
Re: Concerning v1.33b19
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 07:17:52 AM »
Updated.

Minor changes:
  • switched from synchronized to boolean to really not block the gui on the script names initialization
  • tried to improve performance when deleting NPCs from savegame
  • spells from spell.ids also clickable for crosslinks (but no visual indication)

Offline Taimon

• Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 11:10:50 AM »
Small Update.

More dialogue tweaks:
  • DLG search now directly jumps to the state/response/action/trigger (struct) in the viewer
  • added two items to the context menu in the edit view, which allow you to jump to the struct in the viewer
  • added one item in the find menu that finds references to the struct

Offline Taimon

• Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 07:31:18 AM »
With various people adding there own stuff to NI I'm planning to push this on github to make merging easier.
Any interest in this?

temujin_

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 07:16:21 PM »
yes there is.  anything that emerges from that highly evolved, superior, german engineered, aryan brain of yours is always interesting. :)

btw, who are the various people that are maintaining NI?  so far, the only one i could see recently is Kung Fu Man (his version seems very polished and bug-free, but he doesn't have the 'crosslinking' feature and other improvements that you added).  so maybe this github could be useful...

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 11:57:47 PM »
Big interest from me - I am having trouble on vista64 and the latest  javascript/.net upgrades, but on the XP side NI is my primary investigative tool, with DLTCEP as a crosscheck.

Offline Taimon

• Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 01:26:48 AM »
Besides Kung Fu Man, I think at least devSin is updating his copy to incorporate the more recent file format information.
It would probably need some convincing to get him to push his stuff on github, though. :)

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 01:20:47 PM »
Word.

My formats should be pretty much up-to-date complete, but there were only a few things I stole from Taimon's build since I didn't need any of the other stuff (and won't bump the Java requirement to 1.6). I believe it also contains the final work to make it as close to Jon's b19 as possible to facilitate moving code between the two, but with Fred gone, it hardly matters. Also some bugs with funky IWD scripts that may have come after I pushed my code to Taimon, and I believe changes to script name gathering to improve it (but it's not deferred like Taimon's).

My sources are always available (but currently outdated), though, so somebody else could merge them if desired.

Offline Taimon

• Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 03:52:54 AM »
Sources are on github, now.
(Small build script included. Requires ant, though.)

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2009, 10:13:55 PM »
Can you toss a link to a place you trust for a beginner who has only compiled minor weidu beta stuff using step-by-step directions from the bigg? Looking for an introduction to compiling so I can build for either Vista x64 or Win XP SP3 from your posted source. I am not afraid of diving in over my head, but would prefer not to dive into a pool filled with rocks instead of a liquid of some kind...

devSin16Bits

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Can you toss a link to a place you trust for a beginner who has only compiled minor weidu beta stuff using step-by-step directions from the bigg? Looking for an introduction to compiling so I can build for either Vista x64 or Win XP SP3 from your posted source. I am not afraid of diving in over my head, but would prefer not to dive into a pool filled with rocks instead of a liquid of some kind...
Ant is so ghetto 1990s.

Download NetBeans, install, create a new project with the "existing sources" template, have the "infinity" folder inside a clean folder somewhere (after downloading from github), select the parent folder (where the infinity folder is), wait for it to roll the joint, then smack the build button.

Presto. Instant .jar.

Note that I totally broke PST .gam viewing, at the least. The whole thing probably should have stayed in the oven for another year or two before I sent it out.

Offline Taimon

• Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2009, 05:51:45 AM »
Ant is so ghetto 1990s.
The build.xml is just for convenience and ant is the only java build tool I had on my laptop. :)

Sam.

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2009, 03:27:37 PM »
Download NetBeans, install, create a new project with the "existing sources" template, have the "infinity" folder inside a clean folder somewhere (after downloading from github), select the parent folder (where the infinity folder is), wait for it to roll the joint, then smack the build button.

Presto. Instant .jar.

I did exactly this, and when run, the resulting .rar doesn't start NearInfinity.  Do I really want "Java Project with Existing Sources" or should I use "Java Free-Form Project" which seems to make use of the "build.xml"?  I tried both and couldn't get either to work.  Without having any kind of knowledge on this subject, my guess would be that the .jar isn't linking to the .java file that is the visual base ("main class"?) for NearInfinity.  It would be <infinity/NearInfinity.java>, right?  Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

TIA,
Sam.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2009, 05:02:23 PM »
Not really, sorry.

Make sure you have the Java JDK 1.6 (the latest 1.6u16). (Yeah, if it compiles, you surely do.) If you right-click on the project in the projects pane and select Properties, one of the panels will be run properties (allowing you to set the name and main class and custom args and such). Ensure that the main class really is set to infinity/NearInfinity.java (you shouldn't need to change anything else).

And don't throw away the folder you selected with "pre-existing sources" (that's where your actual source code stays!). The junk in the NetBeansProjects folder is just the bytecode and build scripts and built .jars. If it still doesn't work, you should try the "Run" button from within NetBeans. This will compile the project and run it (it can run straight from the bytecode if it wants to). If it still fails, it should at least tell you why it's not starting up in the results console.

Sam.

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2009, 07:37:16 PM »
If you right-click on the project in the projects pane and select Properties, one of the panels will be run properties (allowing you to set the name and main class and custom args and such). Ensure that the main class really is set to infinity/NearInfinity.java (you shouldn't need to change anything else).
That was it, thanks.  I figured that was the problem but didn't know how to set it.

On another note, I suppose any issues that are found should now be reported on github, correct?  Or should we even bother?  Are the author(s) interested in suggestions or will they stick to working on their own agendas?

Thanks,
Sam.

Offline Taimon

• Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2009, 03:35:29 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, post suggestions/bugs in this forum.

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »
Thank you!  8)

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2009, 04:05:39 PM »
The build.xml is just for convenience and ant is the only java build tool I had on my laptop. :)
Actually, Ant is pretty modern compared. (And apparently, it comes standard on Mac OS X or with Xcode, since it looks like I have some version installed here.)

But for somebody who just wants to compile and use it (and maybe later segue into development), we have nice IDEs to recommend (unlike years of WeiDU build nonsense with ocaml and make and apparently cygwin on Windows).

As far as I'm concerned, post suggestions/bugs in this forum.
Ditto.

Offline Taimon

• Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 02:41:28 AM »
But for somebody who just wants to compile and use it [...], we have nice IDEs to recommend
I don't see your point here. If ant (and jdk/jre) is already installed, I find typing one single command much easier than setting up a project in an IDE. But maybe it's just me.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2009, 04:03:16 AM »
I'm not talking about what's easiest to build.

I'm talking about how easiest to tell people to build.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 04:08:42 AM by devSin »

Offline Taimon

• Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 12:43:03 AM »
Ah, now it makes at least some kind of sense. :)

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2009, 07:03:34 PM »
And... I pushed up a small update to my source archive (should be an easy diff; still not doing git). Has a smidgeon of Planescape love to enable GAM viewing again (I actually wasn't the one to break it, turns out).

For the interested, and if you want to update the sources sometime next year.

Offline Taimon

• Planewalker
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2009, 11:21:12 AM »
Thanks for the pointer. Merged and pushed it to github.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2009, 11:45:29 AM »
Ah, you beat me.

I made a small change for an issue where the history menu could hang (if you open up enough different installs, we end up with lastGamePath.size() being 6); my change is super lazy, but I couldn't see we'll ever legitimately get lastGameID.size() != lastGamePath.size(); feel free to rewrite anyway.

New sources up, now with ID2 love too (5:20 PM).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 07:20:53 PM by devSin »

Offline Taimon

• Planewalker
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2010, 08:20:11 AM »
Blindly applied. I'm sure you know what you were doing. :)

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »
That actually kind of looks like an old version. :( There are some changes in there that were temporary (and embarrassing); is it from a fresh download (maybe there's a stale cache somewhere along the way)?

I should probably just give up and git, but I'm hoping this can be the last push for most the year. I'm well and truly beginning to hate the one-size-fits-all code again, which means I stop messing with it for a year or so now. ;-)

EDIT: For any concerned, fresh sources are usually here.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:31:50 AM by devSin »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: