Author Topic: Tech advice? cyclic redundancy check  (Read 1203 times)

Offline stowawaydave

• Planewalker
Tech advice? cyclic redundancy check
« on: February 27, 2008, 12:32:07 AM »
Hallo,

I've been trying to install BG2 for about the umpteenth billion time but I'm getting a cyclic redundancy check repeatedly. I've had these plenty times before with my BG2 and ToB discs, but in the past it's fixed itself if I just have another crack at the install. This time, however, no.

It seems to be the CD and not my computer, as it's always at the same file on disc 3. If anyone can advise perhaps how to fix this, I'd be grateful.

Alternatively, if someone could e-mail the file "MovCD3.bif" to me, I can try copying the rest of the disc to my hard drive and installing it from there.

Thanks.

Offline gertjanvh

• Planewalker
Re: Tech advice? cyclic redundancy check
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »
I'd say your disc is damaged (obviously) which usually means your screwed. You could try something like the Unstoppable Copier http://www.roadkil.net/unstopcp.html which keeps copying even if Windows detects disc errors but, truthfully, I wouldn't be optimistic in your case.

Offline Lord Ernie

• Planewalker
Re: Tech advice? cyclic redundancy check
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 03:37:08 AM »
Cyclic redundancy checks on CD's are indeed a PITA. While chances are you are indeed screwed, you could try cleaning the CD (sometimes, CRC errors are caused by greasy/dirty discs), or even trying it another CD/DVD drive. If neither of that works, the disc is broken.

Oh, and e-mailing the file will likely not do much good. These kind of errors are all over the disc.