Author Topic: Always use EXTEND_TOP  (Read 7325 times)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Always use EXTEND_TOP
« on: February 13, 2008, 08:41:51 AM »
(A long-winded ramble about EXTEND_TOP, EXTEND_BOTTOM, and my experiences with both. You've been warned.)

About three years ago, someone asked at (now inactive) CoM boards: should I use EXTEND_BOTTOM in area scripts, or EXTEND_TOP?  And SConrad, I remember, answered: "Always use EXTEND_TOP."

Why? I wondered then. Many mods use EXTEND_BOTTOM and are happy with it!

But just in case, I decided to follow suit, and coded Xan for BG2 with EXTEND_TOP.  I found out, however, that it had its disadvantages: in order not to interfere with OnCreation() command in some of the area scripts, I had to use Continue() at the end of each of my extended blocks for these areas.

Okay, two years passed, and now, I thought, the danger was clearly past. After all, all NPC mods, starting with Kelsey, happily use EXTEND_BOTTOM, and everything seems all right! That said, I decided to forget about EXTEND_TOP's, and used EXTEND_BOTTOMS for de'Arnise romance and Angelo both.

Everything worked fine, until testers started to report the unability to complete Bodhi quest in Chapter 6, because the characters didn't spawn in Temple District. (Which means no Angelo for ToB, as you imagine). I switched EXTEND_BOTTOM with EXTEND_TOP, and bug reports ceased. (Maybe because people were afraid of me.  You never know.)

Still, I suspected it was a fluke. I was still biased towards EXTEND_TOP, because I knew there were unwise modders who coded their area scripts with

IF
True()
THEN
END

(which kills EVERY script block underneath, making EXTEND_BOTTOM useless).

But yesterday I became entirely convinced that EXTEND_TOP is the only way to go.

I've been peacefully testing IWD NPC for chapter 4, but when I entered a certain chamber, neither of the banters started. I checked the scripts, checked the dialogue file. Nothing. I checked the area script: my blocks appended all right.

... two hours later, I found out the cause: one of the blocks in the _vanilla game script_ started with

IF
True()
THEN
END

Grrr.

Of course, I spent the next fifteen minutes adding Continue()'s and replacing EXTEND_BOTTOM's with EXTEND_TOP's, and of course, it worked immediately afterwards.

... I think I'll stick with EXTEND_TOP from now on.

Offline the bigg

• The Avatar of Fighter / Thieves
  • Planewalker
Re: Always use EXTEND_TOP
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 09:03:11 AM »
I think that modders using True() like that should be shot in the head have their mods updated against their will.
Author or Co-Author: WeiDU (http://j.mp/bLtjOn) - Widescreen (http://j.mp/aKAiqG) - Generalized Biffing (http://j.mp/aVgw3U) - Refinements (http://j.mp/bLHoCc) - TB#Tweaks (http://j.mp/ba02Eg) - IWD2Tweaks (http://j.mp/98OFYY) - TB#Characters (http://j.mp/ak8J55) - Traify Tool (http://j.mp/g1Ry9A) - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics (http://j.mp/9UeIwB) - Nalia Mod (http://j.mp/dng9l0) - Nvidia Fix (http://j.mp/aRWjjg)
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types (http://j.mp/hVzzXG) - Stutter Investigator (http://j.mp/gdtBn8)

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git (http://j.mp/aBZFrq).

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 09:13:19 AM »
I am not sure which is a crueler punishment. :) Note how I carefully typed "unwise".

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 09:43:04 AM »
Yes, that is exactly the reason why I am thinking "Thank you for creating I_C_T2, but actually with all the mods adding interjections, modders please stick to I_C_T + passback line".

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 09:48:41 AM »
I think I_C_T2's are all right. Sure, Weidu sometimes adds slightly paranoid warnings, but it works as it should, and it's the best way to avoid something without adding new lines and a crash before a cutscene. But EXTEND_BOTTOM after True() is more serious stuff.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 10:31:18 AM »
Well, the implications of EXTEND_TOP in scripting (which is what Kulyok's talking about) and EXTEND_TOP in dialogue transitions (which I_C_T2 would speak to) are rather different.

(this is also a good time to mention: WeiNGINE supports explicit, numerical transition weighting!)
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline aVENGER

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 01:23:58 AM »
Everything worked fine, until testers started to report the unability to complete Bodhi quest in Chapter 6, because the characters didn't spawn in Temple District. (Which means no Angelo for ToB, as you imagine). I switched EXTEND_BOTTOM with EXTEND_TOP, and bug reports ceased. (Maybe because people were afraid of me.  You never know.)

There's a nasty bug in AR0800.BCS which can prevent any script blocks that are placed below the bugged block from running. So far, only the G3 BG2 Fixpack corrects this, other fixpacks (i.e. Baldurdash) do not.

I've recently became aware of the full extent of this bug and realized that it can even prevent Bodhi from spawning both in Chapter 2 and in Chapter 6 (which disables my Chosen of Cyric encounter) so I'm mirroring this fix locally in RR with Cam's blessings.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 02:41:29 AM »
I've recently became aware of the full extent of this bug and realized that it can even prevent Bodhi from spawning both in Chapter 2 and in Chapter 6
In the default game, this is most certainly not the case. Unless I'm completely missing something, the final block only pertains to the Chapter 2 Bodhi.

For the curious, the wayward block belongs in Ar0900 (oops!). Along with code to keep Cyrando from spawning until Irlana and Cadril are active (this shit never ends; I'll be tweaking this crap forfuckingever). Thanks to the almighty that IsActive() actually worked like I expected (allowing me to avoid Time() checks, which I always have to think about and then check and recheck).

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 02:45:40 AM »
So that's why it didn't work! Now the Angelo's mystery is revealed.  Thank you.

Offline aVENGER

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 03:05:09 AM »
In the default game, this is most certainly not the case. Unless I'm completely missing something, the final block only pertains to the Chapter 2 Bodhi.

I'm at work ATM so I can't check how exactly the Chapter 6 Bodhi spawn is affected but I seem to recall that it could fail as well (possibly due to a mod though). Anyway, what's 100% certain is that any mod which uses EXTEND_BOTTOM on AR0800.BCS will have their script blocks fail if this bug is not fixed.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 09:18:55 AM »
aVENGER, thank you for pointing this out. I used EXTEND_BOTTOM on AR0800.bcs for Fading Promises, and have had one bug report by a user who was unable to get Aidan to spawn. It was on a heavily modified game, so I attributed it to the contribution of another mod, but now I know. Since I use the G3 Fixpack myself, I was unable to duplicate the bug.

For the next version, I'll do what you have done, and secure permission to use the fix, and include checks for both the BG2 Fixpack and for RR.

Offline aVENGER

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
For the next version, I'll do what you have done, and secure permission to use the fix, and include checks for both the BG2 Fixpack and for RR.

As far as I can tell, the fix is foolproof i.e. it will harmlessly fail if another mod has already made it, though RR still checks for the G3 Fixpack just in case. :)

I'm sure devSin can clarify this further if needed.

Jarno Mikkola

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 02:49:46 PM »
Could you tell us: With component fixes the problem in the G3 BG2 Fixpack? As we(you) probably wouldn't want every mod combonation have all the fixes in the fix pack, as there are others etc. :)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 02:59:37 PM »
If you're a modder, just use EXTEND_TOP(with Continue(), if the area script has an OnCreation() block) in your mods; if you are a player, just install BG2 Fixpack before your mods and don't worry about it.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 07:17:42 PM »
But yesterday I became entirely convinced that EXTEND_TOP is the only way to go.

I've been peacefully testing IWD NPC for chapter 4, but when I entered a certain chamber, neither of the banters started. I checked the scripts, checked the dialogue file. Nothing. I checked the area script: my blocks appended all right.

... two hours later, I found out the cause: one of the blocks in the _vanilla game script_ started with

IF
True()
THEN
END
Modders should actually check the resources they're modifying. In other news, gravity causes you to fall down, the sky is blue, and 2+2=4. :)
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 12:59:44 AM »
Well, excuse me for believing in humanity aka "IWD programmers weren't morons" in the first place. :)

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 07:00:28 AM »
Well, excuse me for believing in humanity aka "IWD programmers weren't morons" in the first place. :)
Developers aren't perfect and didn't expect others to mod their games. In other news... :)

edit: It's ar6010.bcs, yes? This'll be handled in the next IWD Tweaks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:04:47 AM by CamDawg »

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 12:09:38 PM »
It seems that the developers didn't foresee the case of expansions, either: a "Return to Loneliwood" block(and an OnCreation()) block are situated right under the faulty True() block. Granted, they don't make the weather, but it still falls further than "not perfect" category, ending up somewhere between "forgetful", "moronic", "graduated from MSU/Lumumba" and "graduated from Ivy League schools".

And, yes, it's AR6010.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 02:18:41 PM »
It seems that the developers didn't foresee the case of expansions, either: a "Return to Loneliwood" block(and an OnCreation()) block are situated right under the faulty True() block. Granted, they don't make the weather, but it still falls further than "not perfect" category, ending up somewhere between "forgetful", "moronic", "graduated from MSU/Lumumba" and "graduated from Ivy League schools".
You need to spend more time on the Fixpack forums if you think this is somehow unusual or notable. BG2 has this error twice (ar0800, ar0400) and BG at least once (ar0300).

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 02:41:50 PM »
Here's your fix, if you want it:

Code: [Select]
ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~ar9100.are~ THEN BEGIN

// stop cockblocking the script - no or() without how
  COPY_EXISTING ~ar6010.bcs~ ~override~
    DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF
      REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~True()~ ~False()~
      APPEND_FILE ~g3daletweaks/baf/ar6010.baf~
    COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS
    BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

END ELSE BEGIN

// stop cockblocking the script
  COPY_EXISTING ~ar6010.bcs~ ~override~
    DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF
      REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~True()~
        ~OR(3) !Global("AR6010_PLAY_SOUND","GLOBAL",0) !Global("PUZZLE_B_DISABLED","GLOBAL",0) !Global("PUZZLE_A_DISABLED","GLOBAL",0)~
    COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS
    BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

END

ar6010.baf
Code: [Select]
IF
  !Global("AR6010_PLAY_SOUND","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("AR6010_PLAY_SOUND","GLOBAL",0)
END

IF
  !Global("PUZZLE_A_DISABLED","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("PUZZLE_A_DISABLED","GLOBAL",0)
END

IF
  !Global("PUZZLE_B_DISABLED","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("PUZZLE_B_DISABLED","GLOBAL",0)
END

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 03:04:35 PM »
Thank you for showing me. I'd gladly use it if it were critical for IWD NPC, but, fortunately, it's not, so I'd rather leave it to IWD Tweaks.

It proves my point, though: my script will still be screwed if I use EXTEND_BOTTOM(as I use !Global("PUZZLE_A_DISABLED","GLOBAL",0) condition, and the new block will set it to 0 at once), but with EXTEND_TOP and Continue() it's fine and dandy.

Offline Ascension64

• Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 03:56:36 PM »
Why not be just black or just white and use the appropriate EXTEND_* as is expedient to the situation? "Always use X, Y, Z, and bikinis" seems to be a rather one-sided, biased way to do modding.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 04:04:38 PM »
a rather one-sided, biased way to do modding.

Did somebody say biased modding?

Anyway, the scripting EXTEND_TOP vs. EXTEND_BOTTOM question is easy enough to sum up:

EXTEND_BOTTOM: Anybody from Bioware to Interplay to Sikret can fuck you up.

EXTEND_TOP: It is imperative that you not fuck up.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Ascension64

• Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 06:14:17 PM »
Interesting read, but I don't get the 'criminally biased' part of it. For what it's worth, it appears to be a rather aureate but impartial history of IE modding...and could have been an IM entry.

My take on EXTEND_* is:

EXTEND_BOTTOM (of Lawful alignment): You are at the mercy of the EXTEND_TOP gods, who may one day be benelovent and do not f* up, or on other days be fascist and f* you over and over, and on the lucky days be knotted in their brain and absent-mindedly f* up. Whatever happens, you'll work it out when your forum brims with bug reports of objects not appearing in areas.

EXTEND_TOP (of Neutral or Evil alignment): You can censor any mods that you wish your mod to be incompatible with by deliberately f*ing up. You may snigger when 5 years after your mod is released, someone finds out. You proceed to justify your actions as legacy code from the crappy impotent old days of WeiDU and the prevailing modding maxims of the ancient.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:22:15 PM by Ascension64 »

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
Why not be just black or just white and use the appropriate EXTEND_* as is expedient to the situation? "Always use X, Y, Z, and bikinis" seems to be a rather one-sided, biased way to do modding.
I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: