Author Topic: Exotic party with the new NPCs?  (Read 4328 times)

Offline cemeth

• Planewalker
Exotic party with the new NPCs?
« on: January 24, 2008, 05:41:51 PM »
Hi,
I've decided to install Finch, Gavin, Mur'Neth and Indira now. Of course I want to try them out right away, so I was thinking of starting a new game (BG1 EasyTutu) and adding them ALL to my party.
In addition, I'd like to use a somewhat exotic class for my main character. One I haven't played yet: a Bounty Hunter.
The complete party would then consist of:

- Main character (Bounty Hunter)
- Minsc (Ranger) -- or maybe Montaron (Fighter/Thief) because I need more thief skill points? Obviously this character should also be somewhat skilled at being a front fighter.
- Finch (Cleric)
- Gavin (Cleric) -- yay, redundancy :)
- Indira (Fighter/Mage) -- the only mage...
- Mur'Neth (unique/Shapechanger) -- "support"

Well, what do you think about that... is this party viable? I'm playing on "hard" and I also use SCS to make the game harder. Then again, I have installed 3 quest mods, several "ease of use" items (like bags of holding) and removed the experience cap.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Exotic party with the new NPCs?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 01:25:51 AM »
I think two clerics and a bounty hunter will weaken your party considerably, especially since Indira isn't a full fighter, she'll either have to wear a heavy armor and refuse her magical abilities, or to wear a half-decent armor(elven chain from BG1 NPC or a robe with AC 5) and be weakened on the front lines. Bluntly, you'll only have one decent tank, Minsc, and with Montaron instead, you're not having even that. So, powergaming-wise, it will suck. There's no content between Gavin and the other three mods, either.

With BG1 NPC around, there are about twenty-five "new" NPCs, since their content is new - it's added by the mod. So, I'd try any unusual combination of the original Bioware NPCs instead, possibly with Finch or Gavin as the party cleric, if Tiax, Jaheira, Branwen and Faldorn do not suit your preferences, or with Finch and Indira to account for novelty.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 02:41:04 AM »
When I was testing out one of the early alphas, I ran with a party similar to yours without tactical mods, and it was pretty challenging. With tactical mods installed, and running on "hard," you're going to be in for a rough ride, and possibly a lot of reloads.

It's a shame, really, that most of the Tutu modders had dropped out of BG2 modding by the time I wrote Gavin. Crossmod would have been nice, but it's impossible without both modders' participation. But since they had, there isn't any crossmod content between Gavin and Finch, Indira, or Mur'Neth. There is plenty of interaction between Gavin and the BioWare NPCs, though, and with the PC, if that's your thing. Gavin also offers a romance for a female PC, if that has any bearing on your decision.

Finch is a lot of fun, though, and I've enjoyed playing the mod myself. Since her joining sequence involves enlisting her help in fighting Karlat, you might have some trouble getting her into the party at all. When I tried the mod, she kept dying before I could recruit her. It took several attempts.

If you're set on that party, though, you might want to try one of the fighter kits from Sword and Fist to enhance your front line, instead of your planned bounty hunter. You really could stand another melee fighter. Mur'Neth can function as a thief, IIRC, although his placement behind a couple nasty and unavoidable traps might present a challenge if you plan to run with him as your only thief. I don't know if it's necessarily a bad thing to have two clerics in the party, though, especially on the more challenging settings. Especially at low levels, they don't get all that many healing spells, and you're likely to need them.

Offline cemeth

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 03:26:36 AM »
Hehe, I thought so...
I guess I'll just use only 2 of the new NPCs for now, then I can build up a balanced party.
I'll leave the other two for my next game. Something to look forward to.

I haven't thought about crossmod interactions, so it's probably better that way anyway. A silent party is boring. :)
Plus, I get to see more of the BG1 NPC mod.

Ah, so much great new content at once...

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 03:30:15 AM »
Enjoy your game. :) And welcome to PPG, by the way!

Offline cemeth

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 04:34:41 PM »
Sure, thanks. :)

Offline taplonaplo

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 06:08:08 PM »
my kensai/mage/thief + imoen setup (yay shadowkeeper, not that the dmg bonus from kensai seem to make difference, no armor or ranged weapon on the other hand...:)), is doing fine now in chapter 3 (execpt when the number of enemies is over 5 as critical hits REALLY dangerous on insane without helm:D), altho i exploit game mechanics (stealth, zone in/out) so if you dont really care about fairplay, just go on and have some fun:P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 06:10:10 PM by taplonaplo »

Offline Zukn

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 07:20:08 PM »
 D-Rail
 Exotic party with new NPCs mod annoucement.

This mod will be  set in new buildings in Baldurs gate. It will allow all kinds of new "romantic"  encounters.

New map areas include the Feather and Flail gentlemens club and  the Anything Comes polymormphic entities club and more!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 12:59:08 AM »
Valentine's Day must be really, really close.

Offline Beetle

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 11:40:09 AM »
there isn't any crossmod content between Gavin and Finch, Indira, or Mur'Neth.
There actually are banters between Finch and Indira, housed in the Finch mod I think. I laughed out loud at their discussion of family table manners (poor Finch...)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 11:47:31 AM »
there isn't any crossmod content between Gavin and Finch, Indira, or Mur'Neth.
There actually are banters between Finch and Indira, housed in the Finch mod I think. I laughed out loud at their discussion of family table manners (poor Finch...)
That's right, there are banters between Finch/Indira, Finch/Mur'Neth, and Indira/Mur'Neth. The modders were all active during the same time, and they did crossmod with each other. I came late to modding, after Bons, Ghreyfain, and Andyr had already more or less become inactive. Crossmod is impossible when one of the modders is inactive, so there are no banters between Gavin/Finch, Gavin/Indira, or Gavin/Murneth. Should any of them return to IE modding, you can bet I'll be hitting them up for some crossmod.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: