Author Topic: mod noob  (Read 3274 times)

Offline bitesh

• Planewalker
mod noob
« on: January 24, 2008, 05:56:16 AM »
I just joined ur forum, so hi everyone, and I hope this will enhance everyone's modding experience, especially mine, because I'm a f%&#in noob. And now, on to business:

First of all, I don't want to use the item icons already present in-game for my item mods. I extracted a bunch of new icons from another game (the somewhat obscure Realmz engine, for those who might know), but I have no idea where to install them or how to use them.

Second: Is there any way to make an armor that doesn't inhibit u from casting spells? (In fact as I write this question I'm thinking of making a robe using an armor icon... maybe that'll work, I'll try that)

That's it for now. I also have run into some problems with NPC making, but I haven't really made a thorough attempt at this, so I figured I'd read some more tuts and see some examples before I post anything on the matter.

So, c ya around, and I hope to get some feedback.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: mod noob
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:11:02 AM »
Hi, and welcome to PPG.

Yes, you can do both. The modlist should give you the links to the tools and tutorials you need.

I recommend Java+NearInfinity for item editing, Bam Workshop for working with icons, and these tutorials, so that you know how to use these applications.

Good luck.

Offline CoM_Solaufein

• CoM Founder
  • Planewalker
  • War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 07:25:16 AM »
Near Infinity is a little daunting for someone that is new. Use IEEP its easy for the beginner and comes with its own instructions on how to use it. Plus many mod sites have tutorials for this tool.

Read any and all tutorials they are your best friend when it comes to learning something about IE modding. Print them out and read them if you have to.

Happy modding.

Offline bitesh

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 09:04:52 AM »
yeh, ok, I hav all that (thx, by th way). I forgot to specify that the (inventory) icons from the other game are in bitmap form and BAMWorkshop doesn't seem to be able to open. I can't find any in-game icons to see the end product, and the only BAMWorkshop tutorials I found cover the description bams.
I actually managed to make an item, but using the in-game icons (and a pretty handy tool called Cromwell's Smithy), so the item making is not really the problem. the BAM making is.

thx in advance

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 07:43:04 PM »
Do you have Bamworkshop or BamWorkshop II? Bamworkshop II lets you open other graphic formats.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline bitesh

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 08:25:46 PM »
I have BAM Workshop. I had BAM Workshop II, with which I opened the bmp and made a BAM which was invalid. then I read somewhere that it was preferable to use BAM Workshop I, and since BAMW2 is beta I figured I was too inexperienced to work around the bugs.

in the meantime I managed to make the item with an in-game graphic, and put in my inventory but no one can use, although I'm pretty sure I checked the right usability flags (over and over again). this is so much more frustrating than I thought :-\. first I thought it was because the item type was a robe, while the paperdoll anim was chainmail. I tried changing th paperdoll anim, and it said that robe type made the game crash. so I changed the type to armor, and it said nothing, but the item is still unusable.

Offline Mike1072

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 08:57:13 PM »
Note that each usability flag that is enabled PREVENTS that race/class/alignment/kit from using it.

Offline Mereinid

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »
Hello, I am a longtime player and user of the infinity engine. I was reading over this series of posts regarding the use of a IE creation utility. I downloaded the IEEP tool from the link provided a few posts up from this one. However once it installed a series of pop up errors appeared and then the program just shut off. The only thing I could could get to appear where the help files under the Programs Tab. The link I followed was to the site Chosen of Mystra and the version was 1.0.9 Build 40. Were there other items I need to have installed or do I need to have the IEEP installed into a certain directory? BG, BG2,IWD,IWD2 or Planescape?

The fellow who started this post refers to himself as a noob and it appears he is a tad farther along than I am. So I am unsure what nomenclature should be used to describe my ability to mod the IE heh or the lack of ability I should say.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Out here.

Offline Rabain

• Planewalker
  • Luck o' the Irish!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 07:15:04 PM »
Contrary to what Melkor has said i would advise sticking with a combination of Near Infinity and DLTCEP.

Near Infinity will give you the best tool for view and finding files.  DLTCEP in my opinion is the best for editing them.

Near Infinity is easy to use for viewing/finding and not so easy for editing (others will say otherwise...just my opinion).

DLTCEP takes a little getting used to at first but has 2 things going for it that most older tools don't:

1.  Its still being updated so the creator (avenger) is more likely to fix issues and add features as time goes on.

2.  A large majority of modders use DLTCEP so will be familiar with its usage should you have questions.

Note:  NI does nearly everything DLTCEP does, I just think its less user friendly for editing purposes.

Advice: decide what you are trying to do first, then download a mod that does something similar.  Learn from it and create your own mod using the other as a reference.  Ask if you get stuck on something.
Touchstone: Wild Elf Fighter
BG2CPM: Dialog Portraits for Everyone!
WTPFamiliars: A new version of the Find Familiar Spell
All at: Border Kingdoms

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 07:17:25 PM »
Hello, I am a longtime player and user of the infinity engine. I was reading over this series of posts regarding the use of a IE creation utility. I downloaded the IEEP tool from the link provided a few posts up from this one. However once it installed a series of pop up errors appeared and then the program just shut off. The only thing I could could get to appear where the help files under the Programs Tab. The link I followed was to the site Chosen of Mystra and the version was 1.0.9 Build 40. Were there other items I need to have installed or do I need to have the IEEP installed into a certain directory? BG, BG2,IWD,IWD2 or Planescape?

The fellow who started this post refers to himself as a noob and it appears he is a tad farther along than I am. So I am unsure what nomenclature should be used to describe my ability to mod the IE heh or the lack of ability I should say.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Out here.
What errors?

Offline Mereinid

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 07:39:44 PM »
Hello Blood Raven, here are the errors I am getting.

1. There has been an error reading the GAME DIR section of the IEEP initialization file. Therefore the rest of the Official Game Directory section will be skipped and the initialization file will continue to be read.

2. There has been an error in the program. The specific information is:
   Component 'COMDLG32.OCX or one of is dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid at IEEP_ini_Read.02.01.

Next pop up is not really a error...it says.
Would you like IEEP to try and find the paths to any Infinity Engine Game present by searching the Registry? I select "Yes". it gives me this error.
3. Run-time error '330':
Component 'COMDLG322.OCX' or one of is dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid. Option is "OK"

I hit OK there and the program shuts off.
 Hope this helps out and thanks Rabain for the advice.

Currently I am wanting to start off just extremely small. Maybe create a special weapon with a special ability, ring or wand or something..then get more involved from there. End goal? To create a storyline for BG1 or BG2 that follows an actual Pen and Paper session of Dungeons and Dragons I ran at my home.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 08:10:58 PM »
You need to download and install the VB6 files since this and most of TeamBG editors were written in Visual Basic.

Offline Mereinid

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 08:18:24 PM »
Most excellent Raven! It worked flawlessly! I thank you for the quick reply.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: