Author Topic: Character Creation Bug  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Zhang

• Planewalker
Character Creation Bug
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:03:35 PM »
Hi, today on a whim I decided I felt like playing BG again, so I decided to use Tutu with it. The problem is when using Tutu I get the following error at the spell selection page on character creation:

An Assertion failed in CIcon.cpp at line number 164

I booted up BG2 and went through the same steps and have no problems with it there. Also I did the installation that consumes my BG1 files in the instillation incase that is any help to figuring out what the problem is.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Re: Character Creation Bug
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 07:19:06 PM »
Hi -

I don't believe this to be a Tutu bug.

I'd recommend uninstalling *everything* (including BG1 and BG2).  Then, do a fresh reinstall of BG1 and BG2, patch, and install EasyTutu again.  See if that does anything for you.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline Zhang

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 09:21:38 PM »
I tried that, still getting the problem. This time I tried installing in such a way as to not consume my BG1 files. Still didn't help. At least this time if it isn't the install being the problem I won't have to reinstall the game yet again :'(

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:18:53 PM »
I found this...

After reading a lot in these forums this must be my first actual post: so hello to everybody!

As my hardware doesn't allow me to play NWN 2 I turned to the BG series and bought BG1, TOSC, BG2 and TOB. After installing and deinstalling a lot (I got many assertion errors) I now run BG1 with EasyTuTu and no Mods, and so far (chapter 4) without much trouble.
That said, I found the answer to a specific annoying assertion error in CIcon.cpp 164 that was also postet here:
Click Here

The problem was the incompatible version of TOSC. I bought "The complete Baldur's Gate Compilation" in Europe. It let's you choose the language. I chose English, but my OS is a German version with English localization. So I get no error messages during the installation, but TOSC converts files of the BG1 installation. After that sound and icon files are messed up.

Bioware suggested a couple of workarounds for this problem (patching, changing the localization of the OS) - none of this helped. So now I play without TOSC installed, which is a compromise, I'd say
So to everyone running into similar probems, I'd suggest the same!

...here

Helpful?

Offline Zhang

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 07:49:47 PM »
 :-\ That didn't help, I'm from the US and I know that my games are also the US versions and all are English. And I don't have TOSC so that couldn't be what's causing the problem, unless maybe it has to do with doing a non TOSC install? Tutu realizes that I don't have TOSC when it's installing so I would think not, but maybe that -is- the problem...

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 07:56:56 AM »
Hello -

unless maybe it has to do with doing a non TOSC install?

Most likely.  The installation procedure is considerably more complex for people who don't have TotSC.  Typically, though, you'll either have the entire installation abort with an error, or if it finishes, have a perfectly playable installation.

Did any errors occur during EasyTutu installation (particularly during the patching sequence at the end when a console window opens)?

Offline Zhang

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 08:58:33 AM »
Not that I'm aware of, I didn't see a single error message. Oh well, I've been playing it on the old version in the time being, but I'd still like to figure out what this problem is and how the heck to fix it.

Tom Oliver

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 05:59:34 PM »
 I've got this problem as well. However, when I used the easyTutu installer and reached the point where a console window opens and displays "Patching... please wait" . I waited. And then waited a bit more. Three dots had been printed on the next line. And not much else had occured. I closed the console window, thinking that it had broken, but there were no complaints from the program and it then proceeded to extract many files.

Should this have happened, did I mess something up?

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 09:31:54 PM »
Hello -

I've got this problem as well. However, when I used the easyTutu installer and reached the point where a console window opens and displays "Patching... please wait" . I waited. And then waited a bit more. Three dots had been printed on the next line. And not much else had occured. I closed the console window, thinking that it had broken, but there were no complaints from the program and it then proceeded to extract many files.

Should this have happened, did I mess something up?

How long are we talking about?  And what sort of hardware specs are you working with (CPU, memory, available hard disk space)?

Aborting the patch window guarantees problems.  That much is certain.

Tom Oliver

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 04:47:53 AM »

How long are we talking about?  And what sort of hardware specs are you working with (CPU, memory, available hard disk space)?

Aborting the patch window guarantees problems.  That much is certain.

Well, I've got a AMD 5600+ dual core CPU and an 8800GTS GPU with 2 GB of 800MHz 5-5-5-12 RAM. And I was waiting for 10 minutes or so, with no change.

I reinstalled EasyTuTu today, however, and the patch installed in a different way. Very quick and a kind of progress bar made of dots went down the console. It didn't do this before. Now the aforesaid assertion error no longer occurs in character creation, so it was that the patching section got a little screwed up.

Thank you for the speedy reply, and can I must say that I prefer [.][.][.][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] style of loading bar (of course, a full installshield application is best)  because it really does help to know how many dots there should be.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 07:27:12 AM »
Hello -

Well, I've got a AMD 5600+ dual core CPU and an 8800GTS GPU with 2 GB of 800MHz 5-5-5-12 RAM. And I was waiting for 10 minutes or so, with no change.

OK, so a new computer.  I was just fishing to see if you had a dinosaur that might be struggling with the big files in play.

I reinstalled EasyTuTu today, however, and the patch installed in a different way. Very quick and a kind of progress bar made of dots went down the console. It didn't do this before. Now the aforesaid assertion error no longer occurs in character creation, so it was that the patching section got a little screwed up.

Good to know, thanks.  I have no explanation for what went wrong the first time.  Although it's certainly a subpar situation, I'll remember that "try again" is a potentially fruitful course of action for no-TotSC people.

Thank you for the speedy reply, and can I must say that I prefer [.][.][.][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] style of loading bar (of course, a full installshield application is best)  because it really does help to know how many dots there should be.

The patcher that no-TotSC people see is a lightweight program written by me with the single goal of getting the final leg of the job done in the absence of the expansion.  I'm just not willing to invest a lot of development time in addressing an issue that can also be tackled simply by picking up TotSC.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: