Author Topic: So, are we doing this again?  (Read 15852 times)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
So, are we doing this again?
« on: December 09, 2007, 10:20:26 PM »
Okay! Seven submissions and five entries to judge is quite satisfactory from my perspective--best turnout since IM6 and overall better than most. And of course having most of the entrants be people who had never contested one before is nice.

So, if we do this again before too long, are you guys up for more? Or do you think you've got it out of your systems/can't face it again/etc?

(psst: Kulyok, this is traditionally where the winner rouses the rabble and dares them to try to come knock you down...)
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline AnnabelleRose

• The chain smoking modder-wannabe
  • Planewalker
  • Not Dead
Re: So, are we doing this again?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 10:33:41 PM »
I am.

I plan to keep working on my main mod project, trying new things, and learning new things in the meantime.

My goal for IM11 - Make a mod that actually works within the time frame.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 10:42:49 PM by MajorTomSawyer »
"A good pipe and tobacco will make you a patient philosopher or a philistine depending on how you are bent." - Ted's Pipe Shop

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 12:33:08 AM »
Hey, I've still got two full-scale mods to put out before I actually have to worry about little things like scripting and dialogue, so if you're expecting a quest from me, all I can say is you're going to have to wait a few months. But then, there's always a few months between these things anyway. But hey, if I'm not up to it by the time the next one rolls around, you can always count on me as an extra judge.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 02:02:59 AM »
(psst: Kulyok, this is traditionally where the winner rouses the rabble and dares them to try to come knock you down...)

You mean, I don't get to judge?

(But, yeah. If someone lets me judge, and people will hear about it, nobody will turn up. Besides, modding is much more fun, so there. :) )

Anyway:

KULYOK WILL RULE, AND YOU CANNOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. ALL THE WORLD WILL TREMBLE BENEATH MY FEET, AND EVEN WHILE LOOPS WILL SUBMIT TO MY IRON WILL. I WILL MAKE MODS UNTIL THE UNIVERSE EXPLODES AND DIES. THE TITLE WILL BE MINE UNTIL IM10^99 AND BEYOND.

THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE IS ONLY IRON KULYOK. FOREVER.

Offline Deathsangel

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 02:45:14 AM »
I may have a mod I need to do just like SixOfSpades, but hell that is a challenge I dare take on!
Now where did that old interessting mod go? What was it called? O yeah, The Mod for the Wicked. Well, it has been revived!!! Check it out at SHS and at http://www.geocities.com/fanaticfantasyfan

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 03:19:08 AM »
So, if we do this again before too long, are you guys up for more?
Hells, yeah. It was fun.

... That and some of the topics on your "topics we'll probably never see" fired my imagination. A poor workman blames his tools, but a chef who favors one ingredient over others might devise more palatable creations around it.

Offline Bursk

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 10:36:57 AM »
I have to say that after seeing the apparent ease with which Kulyok destroyed the opposition, I don't think there's any point in having another IM until she's retired from modding.

*stokes flames*

Offline AnnabelleRose

• Planewalker
  • Not Dead
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 11:20:41 AM »
I may have a mod I need to do just like SixOfSpades, but hell that is a challenge I dare take on!

Well said!

So, if we do this again before too long, are you guys up for more?
Hells, yeah. It was fun.

... That and some of the topics on your "topics we'll probably never see" fired my imagination. A poor workman blames his tools, but a chef who favors one ingredient over others might devise more palatable creations around it.

Yep, I was simply not ready this time.

Next time, I will be.

I have to say that after seeing the apparent ease with which Kulyok destroyed the opposition, I don't think there's any point in having another IM until she's retired from modding.

*stokes flames*

She will be very hard to beat.

I plan to have a working entry for IM11, and I plan to win IM12.

Slow but steady wins the race.
"A good pipe and tobacco will make you a patient philosopher or a philistine depending on how you are bent." - Ted's Pipe Shop

Offline Deathsangel

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 12:41:04 PM »
I plan to have a working entry for IM11, and I plan to win IM12.

Slow but steady wins the race.

Hm, so you will be one of the competition for the title of IMXII.... yes, I am saying this because I also for the love of my life not get it to work... guess I need more work... :-[
Now where did that old interessting mod go? What was it called? O yeah, The Mod for the Wicked. Well, it has been revived!!! Check it out at SHS and at http://www.geocities.com/fanaticfantasyfan

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 01:50:44 PM »
I disagree--with so many rookie modders competing this time, you have no way of knowing what they'll be like a little way down the line. I mean, heck, this competition was my very first submitted mod ever, and I still didn't suck too bad. So if the newbies can get up to scratch, and veterans like SimDingo can wake up and realize that there's a contest in time, then the next one (or the one after that) should be a nice toe-to-toe.

Oh, and about Roman numerals: The Prince of Flames is greatly annoyed that he already missed IMIX.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 02:11:35 PM »
(I'm reading this and thinking: should I mention that I'm going to sing next time, or will this destroy the, um, opposition entirely?)

Offline Bursk

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 05:03:03 PM »
I wasn't being serious, SixOfSpades.  I was just trying to add to the smack.

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 05:39:57 PM »
Sure, barring schedule conflict. If another one pops up in the spring, I am in.

As for Kulyok's World Domination, well, this is not modding, it is Iron Modding. The thing that makes it fun is the risk and ideas thrown together so fast; pushing yourself hard. Who knows - next time, her creative juices may not be flowing, and yours might spark. The best coded mod won't win if someone else's  idea and dialogue wows the judges :) On typig alone, I can't smack berelinde or kulyok to save my life - but you never know when a cool idea will Reign Supreme!!!

Besides, the Dudes and Dudettes in Kitchen Stadium go up against practiced, seasoned chefs who understand Kitchen Stadium and understand the needs of the venue. It actually makes this *more* fun, because now you know there will be a real Iron Modder to compete against, if you are into the competition thing. And if you are not, you still get to push yourself into that frenzied last muinute adrenaline rush.

Allez Mod!

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 06:03:16 PM »

*stokes flames*

She will be very hard to beat.
Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. I never wanted to win, I just wanted to do something that would be fun to mod, and that would work. I don't seem to have the competitive gene.

(gets up on soapbox)
Still, the important thing is to keep at it. Inspiration can be fickle, deserting a person when needed, and striking at the oddest times, but that's life. For general modding, I've always said to write when you feel like writing, and code when you don't. For event modding, it's great when inspiration happens to visit during the alotted time, but if it doesn't, you can still have fun.
(gets off soapbox)

Still, I have to say that given the fact that this last IM happened on the eve of starting a new job, when I was just getting over the flu, and with the whole thing interrupted by a power outage toward the end, I am pretty happy with the scores I got.  :-* 's to all the judges!

PS - First day went well, despite 3 hours sleep the night before. The new job seems like it's going to work out great.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 01:11:03 AM »
If it is "who was the sickest person on that day" contest, I beat you all hands down, so. :)

Next time, be prepared for something better. Much better.

Offline Bursk

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 08:42:18 AM »
If it is "who was the sickest person on that day" contest, I beat you all hands down, so. :)

Next time, be prepared for something better. Much better.
Ooooh, y'all better watch out.  And look at her new hat!

Offline AnnabelleRose

• Planewalker
  • Not Dead
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 12:18:04 AM »
I think I will mod sans-pants next time.

Perhaps that will work better.

Offline Deathsangel

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 03:57:30 AM »
I learned alot about cutscenes and stuff. Don't you worry, I'll serve something up next time... and after I have the powers of wickedness behind me (okay, that is only for one mod, I am a nice guy, but still...)

Batter up!

(this is getting more and more smack talk IMXI)

Offline AnnabelleRose

• Planewalker
  • Not Dead
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 02:26:38 AM »
This topic needs to be changed to:

So we are doing this again!

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 10:30:35 AM »
I will see your sans-pants (-erm... figuratively speaking, of course...-) and raise you a shirt -

We can have the first evar 'Iron Modder; Underwear Edition" :D

Required Dresscode can be found on PPG's modder wear store section.

Just no "smokers only" IM versions, please.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 11:49:03 AM »
If you guys keep betting articles of clothing, we're going to have to ask JC to change the name of the contest from "Iron Modder" to "The Naked Modder."

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 11:51:33 AM »
Cool show, but Jamie i ain't :D

Offline AnnabelleRose

• Planewalker
  • Not Dead
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 11:25:31 PM »
The world looks better when you are not wearing pants.

It is that simple.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: