Author Topic: Bizarre attack  (Read 2469 times)

Offline +3 Pen

• Planewalker
Bizarre attack
« on: December 04, 2007, 10:39:09 PM »
I know Kelsey is the obsessive interest of another mage.  But recently, when my party returned to the Slums, she and her party summoned a pair of greater bearweres.  I'd fled into the CC and emerged down the street, where the message line told me one of the werebears had attacked a member of her group.  After webbing the lot, the werebears came barreling down--and they simply couldn't be killed.  I got one to heavily injured, only to have it uninjured the next second.  It was even webbed, and attacked by all six of my party: no go.  None of her other party members were around to heal it.  What's going on, here?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:44:31 PM by +3 Pen »

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: Bizarre attack
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 10:44:16 PM »
That doesn't sound especially familiar... more like an unexpected consequence of some change-the-world mod. What else do you have installed? (and did CTRL+Y work on it?)
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline +3 Pen

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 10:45:48 PM »
Let me see.  Here's the lot.  Please ignore question marks and x's.  This is the order of installation:

RTT Item Pack? x
G3 BG2 Fixpack x
COM Food and Herbal mod x
Bag Bonus x
Ruad? x
Boards-O-Magick Item Pack x
The Magnificent Magic Store? x
Item Upgrade x
Banter Packs x
Underrepresented items x
Improved Horns of Valhalla x
Munchmod x
Ascension x
Turnabout x
G3 Anniversary Mod x
Unfinished Business x
The Longer Road x
Tower of Deception x
Dungeon Crawl x
Quest Pack 2.3 x
iiItem x
Herbs-Addon x
Selune's Armoury x
Kelsey x
Rupert the Dye Merchant x
Romantic Encounters x
Flirt Packs x
Ashes of Embers x
Divine Remix x
G3 BG2 Tweakpack x

I'm inclined to think you're right, and something is interacting with your mod.  I haven't tried CTRL+Y, but if it's as we both believe, then I suspect that wouldn't really work.

EDIT: Tried CTRL + Y: no difference.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 11:12:00 PM by +3 Pen »

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 11:10:15 PM »
Well, it depends.

If it dies from CTRL+Y, then it's just got a stupidly (brokenly) high regeneration rate.

If not, then it's got death protection, probably accidentally. Either way, I really can't tell from that list who might have done it, but maybe some smart, helpful soul will come along and spot it.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline +3 Pen

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 11:13:11 PM »
Hopefully.  I did try it--didn't see your reply above, so I edited my comments.  No difference.  Could be any of the few quest mods I've added.  Do your forum powers include the ability to move this thread up a level to BG2 completed mods?  Since it's apparent your mod's not the culprit, it shouldn't really be here.

EDIT: I'm thinking a part of the problem may be Shapeshifter Rebalancing, from the BG2 Tweaks mod, since it's Cossun who brings in the Greater Werebears that immediately start attacking his own party--then mine.  But clearly something else is going on, since greater werebears aren't supposed to be jump from heavily wounded to healthy in a moment.  Hmmm...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 11:53:34 PM by +3 Pen »

Achilleus

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 09:47:02 AM »
The "Shapeshifter Rebalancing" component has changed the 'conjure animals' spell. The Greater Bearweres regenerate fast. It seems that they can regenerate to full health after several rounds like greater wolfweres. They also have high magic resistance.
If you don't have death spell, attack the druid first to prevent her from casting conjure animals.

Offline +3 Pen

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 10:48:39 AM »
I simply removed Shapeshifter Rebalancing.  Granted, shapeshifters need some rebalancing, but I think this was a case of a cure that went too far: that shapeshifter might as well have cast Summon Munchkins. ;) But this may well be a bug, as the pair of 20 HD werebears were supposed to last 4 turns, according to the readme.  I took that fight the first time to over 20 turns, and the werebears had gone from heavily injured to freshly washed, deoderized, and dressed to kill.  They were in it for the longhaul.

I certainly don't fault JCompton for his scripting of the attack, which had the various summonings turning on other members of their party before they found us.  It was a 1-in-a-1000 chance that we were caught by Kelsey's nemesis and her hirelings that second time literally outside one door of the CC.  The scripts triggered, but we then ducked inside, and emerged down the block.  It was amusing to read the way the attack ran out, with the hirelings dead, and just three of the summons still alive, plus the mage.  It is in all respects a quality mod, and heads above any of the other NPC mods I've tried.

erik

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 11:46:48 AM »
4 turns equals 40 combat rounds... which is a loooong time in a BG2 combat.

Offline +3 Pen

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 02:24:37 PM »
4 turns equals 40 combat rounds... which is a loooong time in a BG2 combat.

You'd think after all this time, I'd know that by now.  :-\ 40 combat rounds...?  That really is far too much, though I can't blame them for not passing that information along.  Still, I can't wonder whether the tweak might have been improved by offering users the option for a shorter spell life and a less powerful animal summons.  Shapeshifters need a boost, but that's over the top, IMO.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 05:43:53 PM by +3 Pen »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: