Author Topic: One more Iron Modder (please)  (Read 24840 times)

Offline AnnabelleRose

• The chain smoking modder-wannabe
  • Planewalker
  • Not Dead
One more Iron Modder (please)
« on: November 13, 2007, 02:48:12 PM »
So I thought I would beg ask if one more (at least) Iron Modder contest could be done.

I really, really, want to try my hand at one.
"A good pipe and tobacco will make you a patient philosopher or a philistine depending on how you are bent." - Ted's Pipe Shop

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: One more Iron Modder (please)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 03:03:44 PM »
Tell you what.

Find at least two other people who will swear on Nalia's lovetalks that they will show up and compete and I'll put it together.

Sunday, December 9 would work well for me (usual start time of 1 PM Eastern US). Barring that we would probably have to go out to the new year because of Holiday Scheduling Blah Blah.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline AnnabelleRose

• Planewalker
  • Not Dead
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 04:18:51 PM »
Time to go spam then!  ;D
"A good pipe and tobacco will make you a patient philosopher or a philistine depending on how you are bent." - Ted's Pipe Shop

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 01:18:44 AM »
1 PM Eastern US

I looked up here - it means 9 PM Moscow time, right?

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 01:33:00 AM »
Yep, that would be the time for you.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 01:57:13 AM »
Okay, that's me participating, then. It's one week after the elections, mind, so if they decide to turn Internet off in Moscow or something, I'll have a valid excuse.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 10:39:09 AM »
I'm in.

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 04:09:09 PM »
Checking. I may be able to (it is a 24 hour thing, right) but am still checking my schedule for availability. So, tentatively, yes.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 04:42:06 PM »
No, four hours.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 05:10:38 PM »
Ah, c'mon, cmorgan, you've got 4 hours on a Sunday afternoon, don't you?

Edit: but then again, I lost internet last weekend on Saturday, and didn't get it back until Monday. Hopefully my DSL will be working.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 05:12:56 PM by berelinde »

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 06:50:05 PM »
OMG - only 4 hours from start to finish? Hmmm. OK, will check the date to make sure no concerts/required attendance/lessons/etc. are in the way, and I'll give it a shot. Though with my typing, it will be a bit more like Gordon Ramsey's F Word than Iron Chef, either Japanese or America versions - can you say tyopes  tpyos  tiypyo ... errors?

Offline AnnabelleRose

• Planewalker
  • Not Dead
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 02:37:15 AM »
Heh.

I was just thinking the same thing CMorgan.

Of course my fifteen years of working as a cook aside, he is a hero of mine.

I take it this means you are in?

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 09:50:44 AM »
I am in. Off to bribe the wife... but as far as I can tell I have cleared the schedule and moved the afternoon rehearsal out of the way. Sharpening my knives now.

Offline Deathsangel

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 01:55:56 PM »
Can I ask what the latest date is you may say your in or out.... I mean I am tempted, but I am too unsure about my schedule and I would hate to break a promise... so what is the deadline to say you want to participate or am I stupid and missed that?
Now where did that old interessting mod go? What was it called? O yeah, The Mod for the Wicked. Well, it has been revived!!! Check it out at SHS and at http://www.geocities.com/fanaticfantasyfan

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 02:15:21 PM »
You don't pre-register or declare or anything like that. (well, you're welcome to and to start smack-talking the other people who say they're going to do it, but it doesn't matter.) You either send me a mod before the deadline passes, or you don't.

Offline Ascension64

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 01:17:48 AM »
Not much of a chance that you can get me modding at 4/5AM AEST on MONDAY, mind you.

Offline Deathsangel

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 02:34:07 AM »
You don't pre-register or declare or anything like that. (well, you're welcome to and to start smack-talking the other people who say they're going to do it, but it doesn't matter.) You either send me a mod before the deadline passes, or you don't.

Understood.
However, I would like to know how you verify it took 4 hours to make this mod. If somebody did pre-work and by luck the themes are alike (though I give in that would be a freak accident) than they could have used more time. I am just curious how you do it, or is that the secret of Jcompton so we beter be aware? ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 02:38:51 AM by Deathsangel »
Now where did that old interessting mod go? What was it called? O yeah, The Mod for the Wicked. Well, it has been revived!!! Check it out at SHS and at http://www.geocities.com/fanaticfantasyfan

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 06:04:39 AM »
I've a feeling that it shows, but/and it depends on the theme very much.

// A long-winded "because I'm bored and don't want to work" ramble follows:

Say, I make a one-weekend "The Third Way To Spellhold: Cowled Wizards Love You!" mod (Is it doable? Sure), and I decide to present it as my Iron Modder X entry. The hour comes, and the Overlord announces the topic. Will my mod fit?

Let's take nine previous themes:

"Being the Bhaalspawn Means Never Saying You're Sorry" - easy as pie. PC kills his/her Cowled Wizard superior in the end, and the topic is a-a-aall over it.
"Careless Words Cost Lives" - same thing.
"Blaze of Glory" - add a nice presentation "You're Among the Cowled Wizards Now" ceremony, and the game's in the bag.
"A Hero For All the Wrong Reasons" - sure, because only an idiot would go to Spellhold to face one of the greatest wizards on Faerun on that wizard's terms.
"The Price Of Friendship" - again, going to Spellhold means saving dear little Imoen; still on-topic.
"A Broken Promise" - because the Cowled Wizards are renown for breaking their word(or will be, after the mod is released);
"A Kiss Before Dying" - a romantic interest says a few words, and we're all done(though Idobek's IM contribution kind of warns against it).

But take "Some of My Best Friends Are Slimes" and "The Last Mug of Ale In Amn." - and you're hard pressed to fit pre-made content into it. In fact, it's easier to start from scratch.

... see what I mean?

Offline Deathsangel

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 08:47:56 AM »
To be honest you confuse me a little.  ??? sorry  :-[

Do I get it right you mean:
That it shows if more time was put into it content wise (apart if one personally can do this or not (= amount of work and make it logically fit into BG2)), and that is the only indication as the themes can be worked into it pretty easily.

Sorry if I am being a dumbass here

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 09:20:02 AM »
We trust everybody gets in the spirit of the thing. As there is absolutely no tangible prize for winning, what does it benefit anyone to cheat?

I can't offhand think of a time anybody submitted material I suspected was secretly written beforehand. It would be a pretty big waste of everybody's time. If Rosie Ruiz shows up and ruins everything, then maybe we just can't have nice things.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 10:50:33 AM »
The big payoff comes a short time after the entries are judged, when *all* the completed entries wind up in a brand new mod.

Offline Deathsangel

• Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 11:55:05 AM »
The big payoff comes a short time after the entries are judged, when *all* the completed entries wind up in a brand new mod.

Euh... only if I can fit it in into the MftW... and if I play along

And wise words JCompton. Okay, hopefully till the Iron Modder starting hour

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 03:46:42 PM »
In the spirit of it, the "competition" is really a self-imposed one - how well do you know the basic ingredients and how can you get the theme best illustrated in the time alloted?

Now, if we were playing for discounted IPO shares in TBH, this would be completely different...

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 01:17:20 AM »
Of course it's a competition. You're all doomed, by the way.

Offline AnnabelleRose

• Planewalker
  • Not Dead
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 04:15:57 AM »
The prize is bragging rights, something to place on .sig files, and the eyepatch on your avatar untill the next IM compitition.

Right now, my personal goal is to make a mod that works, and does not reformat anyone's hardrive by accident.

:pirate

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: