Author Topic: I love this mod (except for one small thing)  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Chronis

• Planewalker
I love this mod (except for one small thing)
« on: November 04, 2007, 10:28:05 PM »
To start I want to say that this mod is amazing.  I am very excited by all the interesting quests you introduce especially the neutral path through hell.

However, I have one really really really big complaint
You listed the following a new change in this version "Hell: Removed leftover stat gain upon defeating Wraith Sarevok."

I am assuming you removed the extra point of strength you get from the evil path through hell.  I strongly disagree with this change and don't feel it belongs in a quest mod.

Its quite apparent that it was developer intent to have the evil rewards through hell to be better then the good rewards. 
Just look at the extra bonuses you get for being evil.
Greed Trial: They give you blackrazor as an evil bonus
Wrath Trial: An extra point of strength for being evil
Selfishness Trail: For your evilness you don't lose a point of Dex

With this clear pattern it seems obvious to me that the extra point of strength was developer intent and I am very curious as to why it was removed.

I really like the neutral path it mitigates some of the negatives of being good by allowing you to gain access to blackrazor for a while, and avoiding the dex loss, but removing the evil bonus is not cool.

Keep up the great work, you have a really nice mod here.
-Chronis

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
Re: I love this mod (except for one small thing)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 01:20:22 PM »
Ahhhh, I've pondered this one back and forth. On the one hand, it seems unlikely to me that the extra bonus was intentional, seeing as you don't actually get informed of it in the original game. On the other, I do see your point about the pattern of rewards.

I think the extra perks of the paths you mention (and don't forget the Nymph Cloak) derive more from the game's representation of evil as "self-serving" and good as "self-sacrificing" in the trials than from any desire to make evil the more appealing option. It's difficult to design a morality test which doesn't revolve around this distinction. More precisely, it's difficult to conceive a Greed or Selfishness trial which doesn't reward the player for actually being greedy or selfish, but submitting to your wrath against Sarevok does not neccessitate any actual tangible reward.

Offline Chronis

• Planewalker
Re: I love this mod (except for one small thing)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 06:21:25 PM »
I think the extra perks of the paths you mention (and don't forget the Nymph Cloak) derive more from the game's representation of evil as "self-serving" and good as "self-sacrificing" in the trials than from any desire to make evil the more appealing option.

I always thought of the extra perks as the developers way of throwing a bone to people who roleplay evil.  They did not put much effort into the evil path with almost no evil quests and inferior evil quest rewards.   

how does removing a point of strength improve the game in any way.  People who roleplay good or neutral through the game won't see it one way or another.  People who play evil won't like it because they just got nerfed.  I guess I just don't see how this change improves the game.   

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: