Author Topic: Friendship "flirts"  (Read 18468 times)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Friendship "flirts"
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2005, 01:19:07 AM »
I disagree. I mean, some of the romance flirts might be considered a little racy, but you don't have to choose those options. And those options aren't likely to pop up in a friendly chat.

As long as Nalia won't give my female protagonist a hug or something, I am fine with friendly "action options". The other thing is that I cannot see is, for example, Keldorn breaking the comfort zone of the male protagonist.

So, while PC-initiated chats and action options are great, NPC-initiated "friendly flirts", even turned on and off, may be difficult to handle.

Offline Discord

• Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2005, 02:54:10 PM »
I don't understand... why can't Nalia give your female PC a hug? I'm assuming this is all within the realm of realism here... the characters won't do anything, well, out of character.

I think the banters which the NPCs already have would count for "NPC-initiated flirts". I'm only using the term "flirt" here to mean "Player-initiated banters". I think it's unlikely that Keldorn (being a fifty year old heterosexual man with children and a high sense of honor) is going to hit on the male protagonist. Or the female protagonist, for that matter. But it isn't implausible that the PC might approach Keldorn for advice, or ask for a story of past exploits. That's all I'm suggesting. Like, you click to talk to Imoen and it gives you a list of options of things you can say to her, none of which would be sexual or romantic unless you have a romance mod or something installed.

<CHARNAME> - Imoen is chewing absentmindedly on one nail and staring blankly into space. She looks up as she feels your gaze on her, and gives a cheerful smile.

IMOEN - Heya! What's on your mind?

1 - Nothing much. I was just remembering that time in Candlekeep when Winthrop caught you stealing ale... remember?
2 - (Grin impishly at her and shrug)
3 - (Pat Imoen on the back) How are you feeling? You were miles away... Irenicus still on your mind?
4 - (Wrestle playfully with her)
5 - (tickle Imoen)
6 - (steal her pack for a game of keepaway)
7 - Oh, never mind.
Kadreyel NPC
www.freewebs.com/kadreyel
A new NPC mod with a mission.

Coming soon(er or later)
[/size]

Roadkill

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2006, 06:52:41 PM »
This could just be me, but wouldn't you be able to use the same method used for advancing LOVETALK?

IF opposite gender, then advance LOVETALK (which would make sense, since the NPC'd risk ticking off you and your romantic interest)

IF same gender, then advance FRIENDSHIP (since, well, no romantic interest you have would honestly think twice about that)

A question on gender changing items and accidental Wild Mage surges btw:

-----

Edwin - "I must admit, you are quite the capable spellcaster..." (or whatever male romance talk the guy has)

*PC casts magic, it surges and the change sex effect is rolled on the Surge table*

Imoen - "...I've always loved you."

-----

Anyway, you get the point: Does changing genders (through cursed items or aforementioned Wild Surges) affect romance talks? Because honestly, the alternatives are rather disturbing (ending up with male PCs sleeping with Anomen (Augh! My eyes, i'm blind!) or female PCs getting Aerie pregnant).

So yeah, already brought this up in the NPC Flirt Pack topic, but it's been bothering me how they're planning to tackle that one in-game. Technically, when the PC's gender is set to male, the LOVETALK for female NPCs should be able to go up. Yet that would still leave the matter of 'loose ends' with the active (in this case male) relationship, as well as the newly started female relationship when the effect wears off, or the item uncursed. If it doesn't, you'd get gay relationship options (note that i am not against gays: it just leads to unintended ingame situations)

Either way, it could serioursly mess up your ingame romances, even disregarding the mental imagery i've just thrown at you in this post...

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2006, 08:21:16 PM »
Not that I've ever gone in and examined the variables, but I imagine in-game sex changes affect appearance but not gender flags.

And I don't think any of the NPCs would be stupid enough to start a romance because of a wild surge. They might comment, as with Edwin, but nothing ongoing. That would be seriously dumb.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline Hide and Seek

• The one who wields the Blackrazor
  • Planewalker
  • I always begin my day with a good backstab.
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2006, 07:34:14 PM »
I like the friendship banters. The only one I got so far is Kindrek, and it is so far impossible to remove his mind from the wizards.

But give Imoen a hug, or get one.

Joking with Minsc, and Minsc not understanding the joke.

Tell Keldorn that you respect him.. or some such.

Swap stories with Jan Jansen!

Discuss the loot with Korgan.
Favourite Quotes from BG2
Minsc: Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details.
Saemon: Pardon?
Aerie: This is gonna hurt you ALOT more than me!
Sarevok: Now I return the favor!
Drizzt: Yes, yes, you have my attention.
Lilarcor: And this one's for Grandma, who said I would never amount to anything more than a butterknife!

Offline Clarion

• Asylum Escapee & Technical Wild Mage
  • Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2007, 09:21:42 PM »
Yoo-hoo?!  Anyone here?  I'd hate to see such a great idea get buried in the sands of time, after all.  I've always wanted to swap stories with Jan and tickle Imoen.

BTW: People never seem to notice when the wild mage PC changes gender.  Poor Kelsey.  Never noticed he was hugging on a guy before I had to reload the game due to character death.  Everyone else also thought Kalliane was female, despite the fact that she'd turned herself into a guy trying to cast "Stoneskin."
Don't let me cast Chromatic Orb anytime soon...  I'll either turn myself blue or summon dozens of squirrels...

Offline Western Paladin

• You're not fooling me, 'cause I can see, the way you shake and shiver.
  • Planewalker
  • Jeepers!
    • Gibberlings Three
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2007, 01:57:19 AM »
Yoo-hoo?!  Anyone here?  I'd hate to see such a great idea get buried in the sands of time, after all.  I've always wanted to swap stories with Jan and tickle Imoen.

Yes.

Everyone else also thought Kalliane was female, despite the fact that she'd turned herself into a guy trying to cast "Stoneskin."

Is there any way to reverse that, other than using ShadowKeeper?
"What was that? I couldn't hear you over the STREET JUSTICE!"
-- Stan Smith, American Dad!

Offline Clarion

• Asylum Escapee & Technical Wild Mage
  • Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2007, 11:31:35 PM »
The only other way I know of is to reload.  Maybe it wears off, but my mage usually gets splatted if Stoneskin doesn't work anyway, so...

And by the way, Western Paladin, I'm glad you seem to agree.  Should I bring out the picket signs?
Don't let me cast Chromatic Orb anytime soon...  I'll either turn myself blue or summon dozens of squirrels...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: