Author Topic: FOTD Completed - few thoughts, bugs and spoiler requests  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Greater Malison

• Planewalker
FOTD Completed - few thoughts, bugs and spoiler requests
« on: September 22, 2007, 07:32:29 PM »
I really enjoyed the difficulty of the game early on and the increased prices on items making money management a factor in the game.  I still would like to see the battle with Sarevok, the Demon Knight, and Aec'Letec made more difficult as it was a breeze for a 9th level party with potions of giant strength and +3 ammo.  Honestly my toughest battles were early on including the pack of dread wolves and vampiric wolves on the east side of the temple map, the Mage at the Carnival who has captured the witch, and the toughest of all Khark the Ogre mage at the Firewine Bridge. 

I had the exception error on the chess board in Durlags tower but it may be because my cd is so scrathed.  I did encounter 2 bugs though.  The 1st one was an extremely annoying  glitch that kept replicating the golems at high hedge to a point where i couldnt get near thalyntyr without reloading several times.  This was incredibly annoying seeing as hes the only one who can identify things untill you reach the city.  2nd was a bug at Gulykin where I believe theres a bounty hunter fight but when i come in thru the southern portion of the map the game slows down to a crawl.  There was a line of text like so and so casts something but I was never able to go forward because the game slowed down to the point it was unplayable.

Also was wondering where the uncursed versions of these items were in the game as i never came across them:

Ring of Wizardry
Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise
Gauntlets of Ogre Power
Gauntlets of Dexterity

All in all it was a good experience and I will recommend FotD to anyone who is going to play BG again as I think it is the Definitive totsc mod thanks again Echon.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Re: FOTD Completed - few thoughts, bugs and spoiler requests
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 01:22:17 PM »
I really enjoyed the difficulty of the game early on and the increased prices on items making money management a factor in the game.  I still would like to see the battle with Sarevok, the Demon Knight, and Aec'Letec made more difficult as it was a breeze for a 9th level party with potions of giant strength and +3 ammo.  Honestly my toughest battles were early on including the pack of dread wolves and vampiric wolves on the east side of the temple map, the Mage at the Carnival who has captured the witch, and the toughest of all Khark the Ogre mage at the Firewine Bridge.

I think you are the first who found Sarevok too easy, but the Death Knight and Aec'Letec should perhaps be more challenging. Khark is tough for most parties. What level were you at when you defeated him? 

I had the exception error on the chess board in Durlags tower but it may be because my cd is so scrathed.  I did encounter 2 bugs though.  The 1st one was an extremely annoying  glitch that kept replicating the golems at high hedge to a point where i couldnt get near thalyntyr without reloading several times.  This was incredibly annoying seeing as hes the only one who can identify things untill you reach the city.  2nd was a bug at Gulykin where I believe theres a bounty hunter fight but when i come in thru the southern portion of the map the game slows down to a crawl.  There was a line of text like so and so casts something but I was never able to go forward because the game slowed down to the point it was unplayable.

None of these bugs occur on my installation. Were you using other mods?

Also was wondering where the uncursed versions of these items were in the game as i never came across them:

Ring of Wizardry
Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise
Gauntlets of Ogre Power
Gauntlets of Dexterity

Ring of Wizardry: Ramazith has it.
Gauntlets of Weapon Extertise: Durlag's Tower, fifth level.
Gauntlets of Ogre Power/Dexterity: Currently unused.

All in all it was a good experience and I will recommend FotD to anyone who is going to play BG again as I think it is the Definitive totsc mod thanks again Echon.

Thanks. I am glad you enjoyed it.

-Echon

Offline Greater Malison

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 03:46:46 AM »
When I finally went back to beat Khark I was level 5 I believe and I came armed with Invisibility Purge.  I may have been able to beat him at a lower level but I didn't have the spell making the battle almost impossible.

I didnt break the mirror but I beat the Demon Knight in less than 5 seconds with no moster summong just prepping with potions and spells.(4 Tanks -  Kivan, Ajantis, Khalid, Jaheira + Safana and my PC a Transmuter)  Sarevok did kill one of my tanks but fell soon there after.  Those arrows and bullets of lightning are quite powerful.

Good to know those errors aren't yours as i did have other mods installed including The Vault which has yet to work for me and UB.

P.S. what about those gauntlets of Dex?

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 05:59:27 PM »
Defeating Kahrk with a 5th-level party is impressive, since he is a 12th-level mage with innate ogre-mage abilities on top.

I should probably add a note to the readme about metagaming. In standard BG buffing your party before a fight may be necessary to survive some of the battles, and there are even NPCs who are pre-buffed. This has changed in FotD. You may have noticed that many spellcasters begin with protecting themselves, and this is a big disadvantage if you are ready to launch an attack. I have tried playing the game without metagaming, and it is certainly possible. It is also more fun since most fights are too easy if the party is enchanted by haste, bless, strength of one, defensive harmony, grounding, protection from paralysis, etc etc.

Gauntlets of Dexterity are also unused.

-Echon

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: