Author Topic: Assertion Error  (Read 1567 times)

Satori

Assertion Error
« on: July 22, 2007, 08:46:41 PM »
What is an assertion error, and why is it killing my mac copy of TOB?

I used to get them on BG1 for pc, but fixed it by changing compatibility options... no can do on mac.

Also, i cannot save games... i get a save game failed message and shortly after, a crash from the assertion error.  Help? 

I've never actually tried playing TOB before, though i did have it installed for a while.  I have a full install of SA and then TOB installed over it...  in patched to 2.12, but did no other modifications other than changing the Alias in the INI, and adding the debug

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
Re: Assertion Error
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 09:18:24 PM »
What's the assertion? Are you running under Mac OS 9 or under Mac OS X?

As for saving, there are two things that can cause regular save game failures. The first should be true for ToB under any version of Mac OS or Mac OS X, and the second is only applicable to Mac OS X 10.4 or greater:

In the Baldur's Gate II folder, there might be a file named "temp" -- if so, delete this file (drag it to the trash) and create a new folder (Cmd-Shift-N). Name the folder "temp" (without the quotes, of course).

You also need to exclude the Baldur's Gate II folder from Spotlight (its indexing can interfere with the way saving the game is handled). Launch System Preferences, click the Spotlight icon (in the Personal section), select the Privacy tab, and add the Baldur's Gate II folder to the exclusion list (either by dragging the folder onto the list or by pressing the '+' button and navigating to and selecting it in the resulting dialog sheet).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 09:22:39 PM by devSin »

Satori

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:00:56 PM »
Spotlight is excluding my entire applications folder now, and i reinstalled BG.

still not able to save, though, even after replacing TEMP folder... should i replace TEMPSAVE as well?

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 01:28:56 AM »
There should be a "temp" folder and a "tempsave" folder (these may not exist until you run the game the first time). If either are showing up as files (the game mistakenly creates "temp" as a file if it doesn't exist, but I believe the tempsave folder was always created correctly), you need to delete them and create new folders with the same names.

What's the exact problem you're experiencing with saving?

Satori

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 06:08:29 PM »
after my fourth re-installation, It seems to have been fixed.  Looked like i messed up turning off spotlight last time.

Now i am going to try an get tutu to work.

if teh trend continues, this should only take 2 weeks......

Offline Yams

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 11:08:21 AM »
I'm getting another Error that might be similar to the OP's. Mine comes right as you finish the dialogue with the priest of helm after the unseeing eye quest. It says 'Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 2216 programmer says memerror.' Does anyone know how to fix this?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: