Author Topic: Call for testers for new version of UB  (Read 16485 times)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Call for testers for new version of UB
« on: July 18, 2007, 07:13:57 PM »

Dear all,

As you may have noticed (or conversely may not have noticed at all) my upkeep of UB has been pretty slack due to commitments of work in the non-modding world. I do, however, intend to make a return to modding and have been working on the next version of UB--which will not contain new content, but fixes. I intent to fix most of the things in the Bug Thread, as well as other issues which have been mentioned. As I've been out of the game for a little while, however, I'd appreciate some people to test a beta of the new version before if goes on general release, both to ensure that bugs have been fixed and that no new ones have been introduced.

If you would like to test then please reply here. Ideally you'll be someone familiar with both the current and previous versions of the mod.

The main issue to be addressed in the update is the Kidnapping of Boo quest, which unfortunately I am not very familiar with as I did not write the original code (it was Cliffette's). I think with that I am planning to remove the bit that sends you to the Druid Grove, as it has caused a lot of troubles for some people and is not necessary for the story. There are two ways I could go about this:

1. Revert the component's code to an older version of the mod (v14). This is simple, but other bugfixes Cliffette incorporated in the meantime would not be there.
2. Just set the bit dealing with the Druid Grove transportation to never occur. But could someone tell me if it is currently possible to complete the quest without being sent to the Druid Grove, and if so, what are the conditions which determine whether you go there or not? As I mentioned I didn't code the component, and haven't played in a long time, so would be grateful for a voice of experience to tell me.

Any comments are welcome. If you don't hear a reply then RL may have reared its head, but at least you know my intentions were good. ;)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
Re: Call for testers for new version of UB
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 10:53:52 AM »
Unfortunately I cannot be of help in testing at this moment but let me thank you for your commitment and for working on a new version.  ;)

Offline Elena

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 02:52:13 PM »
I've got a clean install and would love to test for you.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 03:16:50 PM by Elena »

Offline Graoumf

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 03:25:22 PM »
Aaaaahhhhh !!! Great ! :)

I wish I helped you but I've many things to do with translations of Tsujatha, Anomen of NPC Flirt Pack, BP and others... but let me thank you to think to us, little players. ;)

:-[ Please, don't forget the update of the french translation (by Isaya and Nicholas D. Wolfwood)... :-[

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 03:50:18 PM »
Cheers, Elena. I'll be in touch. :)

Graomf: I have it, thanks!
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Mithrandir

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 01:33:11 PM »
I can help also

Darnel

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 01:43:35 AM »
When can we expect new version relase? Sorry for being impatient. I'm waiting with new install for this mod :pirate:

Offline erebusant

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 10:34:28 PM »
I wouldn't mind doing some beta-testing if your still looking. As far as the Druid grove is concerned in the Boo quest, I think the only issue was the trolls used were unkillable. That should be fairly simple to fix without taking out the content.

Offline Mithrandir

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 11:57:40 AM »
A well placed Chromatic Orb would kill then trolls, so threy where not unkillable, just very ressistent.

Offline Logitech

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 11:30:48 PM »
I've got some free time so I can help you with beta test one of my favorite mod.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 04:20:12 AM »
Mithrandir, erebusant, Logitech: check your PMs. :)

Any more?

Offline Mithrandir

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 05:37:58 PM »
i can't seen to get past the weird word combination that is required to reply your message so i will write it here.

I will work on it right now what exactly are you looking in minsc quest? how can i get the info you want?

Offline Logitech

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 08:17:23 AM »
Same here :pirate
Send me you email adress becouse I can't really send private messages with this visual verification.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 10:23:28 AM »
I'll PM you both. :)

Offline ScuD

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 11:43:05 AM »
Sign me up as well PLZ

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 02:53:55 AM »
I'm far too flighty and unreliable to commit to testing anything for anyone, but I can tell you that there is no requirement to go to the Druid Grove to complete the Boo quest. It's a pointless and annoying detour, serving only to unnecessarily fatigue the party (by the time you get back to the Government District) and trigger the interaction with Paudan the druid prematurely (he evidently approaches to talk as soon as you enter the area). I know pointless and annoying is a field in which Cliffette excels when it comes to mod writing (I mean that in the nicest possible way, honest, and some of the pointless and annoying encounters of EMaD are part of my core mod stack), but here I think it's too much, and problematic besides. I think it would be best to remove the "whoops, wrong spell" detour and have Smethy send you straight to the Government District like he used to.

Did you need to know anything else? I'm pretty sure I've got saves for v14 in addition to the current game with v15.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Kim

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 08:30:55 AM »
It is not good idea to send player to Druid groove before they've visited Trademeet.
i vote for previous version.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 12:46:23 PM »
I think it would be best to remove the "whoops, wrong spell" detour and have Smethy send you straight to the Government District like he used to.

Could you explain to my why it happens, though--does "whoops, wrong spell" happen always, or just given some set of circumstances? That's what I need to know. I agree about cutting it.

Offline Mithrandir

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 07:58:51 AM »
Well andyr, if yo haven't modified anything from the previous version then, all replies take you to the trademeet woodland area (i've tested all options in the previous version).

Anyway i'm done with my piece of the minsc quest, have you any interest in 56.333MB of screeshots?

EDIT: Killed all trolls alright, with Melf acid magic and acid arrows.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 08:04:53 AM by Mithrandir »

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 10:01:18 AM »
Andyr,

could you please include me as well in the testing team?

Thanks!

Offline Clarion

• Asylum Escapee & Technical Wild Mage
  • Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 12:11:28 AM »
Yo and hello!

As I'm in no way a modder of any ilk, about my only use on this site is as a beta tester, so if you still need peopleness, just deliver Clarion a sound whacking upside the head and I'll be happy to help.

The trolls, I only noticed that one of them was invincible for me, and I ended up turning tail and running back to the Government District whilst it was still alive.  Sound the clarion, Clarion is a coward ::)
Don't let me cast Chromatic Orb anytime soon...  I'll either turn myself blue or summon dozens of squirrels...

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 12:05:16 PM »
Well andyr, if yo haven't modified anything from the previous version then, all replies take you to the trademeet woodland area (i've tested all options in the previous version).

Anyway i'm done with my piece of the minsc quest, have you any interest in 56.333MB of screeshots?

Thanks, that's useful to know. :) And no, I don't really need any screenshots.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 12:05:36 PM »
Andyr,

could you please include me as well in the testing team?

Thanks!

Hey,

Thanks for your email--will reply very soon! Had a busy week.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 11:20:20 PM »
Thanks, Andyr!  ;)

Offline Bursk

• Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 02:09:09 PM »
Andyr, nice to see you back (in black).  I can't test the mod for you I'm afraid, but there is one minor change I'd like to see in the new version: a new lot of text sometimes appears on the loading screen which is a sort of advert for Smethy's pets (or whatever it's called).  This was appearing long into my game, way after I'd finished the Boo quest.  It irritated me that it kept appearing, since as far as I know there's no way to visit Smethy again once the Boo quest is finished.

If possible, I'd like this text to stop appearing once the Boo quest is completed.  If this isn't possible, I'd prefer that it didn't appear at all.  I'd much rather do without this text that have it appear for the entire duration of my game.  Quite what the last version of UB I tried I'm not sure, so maybe this isn't the case with v15, but if it is I'd like to see something done about it for v16.

Cheers.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: