Author Topic: Importing Avatars from Ps:T to BG II?  (Read 1908 times)

Benjamin

Importing Avatars from Ps:T to BG II?
« on: March 30, 2007, 10:50:34 AM »
Good day everybody!

First of all I wish to thank all and every one of you for this great resource, it really brings those cosy Ing-engine games back to life  :D

And onto the question(pardon if it was asked before, I'm am very tired of searching:( ) -

Is there a convenient way to import avatars from Ps:T to BG II? What problems might I encounter? Which tools should I use? ::)

What for? Simply. I am thinking of doing "A Divercity mod" which will add a lot of(If I ever succeed) flavor into a Baldur's Gate world.

Thanks!

Offline Elfen Lied

• Der Engel Des Todes
  • Planewalker
    • Diablo3.com
Re: Importing Avatars from Ps:T to BG II?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 01:55:18 AM »
uh open the avat in a program like MS Paint, and rework it so it conforms to BGII conventions,

.bmp
110x170 pixels for the large picture
38x60 pixels for the small picture.

oh wait you said avatars, as in "paper doll" right? then i dont know
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 01:58:12 AM by Elfen Lied »
Gods in His Heaven, Alls right with the World.
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
Vi Veri Venivursum Vivus Vici - By the power of truth, i while living have conquered the Universe

Benjamin

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 02:37:18 AM »
Yes I meant creature graphics.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 02:43:28 AM »
I think it is not possible, the game crashes: otherwise, there'll be Annah and Fall-From-Grace avatars available already, after all, it's been six years. I even recall that it is impossible to use Sarevok's BG1 avatar in ToB - the game crashes, too. But perhaps someone will come and correct me later.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 10:25:55 AM »
It is possible after a fashion and it was done (I seem to remember Ghrey messing around with them years ago, like around the time we were releasing Kelsey-SOA v1) but they don't look quite right because, among other things, they don't have the full range of facings of BG2 sprites and they were rendered at a different scale (and angle, if I remember correctly.)
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Avenger_teambg

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 06:29:32 AM »
Pst standing avatars got only 5 cycles, walking avatars got 9. (you can mirror the 5 to get 8, and the 9 to get 16).
The missing standing avatar orientations could be copied from the existing facings.
Some avatars (marked with cl x in resdata.ini) got a range of clown colors. Clown colors are handled differently in bg2.
So you will need a lot of work to port a pst avatar to bg2, and it will be a bit out of place.
Some of the mirroring/copying work could be automated using dltcep, it is still a lot of work.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: