Author Topic: What's the Best RPG out now?  (Read 20012 times)

Offline Rika

• thug life baby
  • Planewalker
Re: What's the Best RPG out now?
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 12:13:31 PM »
If you don't mind paying monthly, try Asheron's Call: Throne of Destiny.

If you do;
  • Return to Krondor
  • The Wheel of Time
  • Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic
  • (Heroes of) Might and Magic
  • Ultima

Im sorry I don't give my opinions bout these games, but I think you should decide for yourself without me giving endless criticism
So if the devil wants to dance with you, you'd better say never cuz the dance with the devil might last you forever

norwegianpidgeon

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 09:28:45 AM »
I will second the Heros of Might and Magic.  It is more of turn based strategy/RPG but it's a good one.   Stay away from 4 but 3 and 5 are classics.  I spent a lot high school playing 3 (as well as BG2).  I also just picked up Too Human for Xbox360 and haven't gotten too far with it but it seems pretty sweet.  Almost a cross of BG2 and Diablo.  That might be a bit of a stretch but for lack of a better comparison that's what I'll go with.

Offline Rika

• thug life baby
  • Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 10:58:09 AM »
I hate xbox 360 'rpg's'..

If you want things like that, go play FF
So if the devil wants to dance with you, you'd better say never cuz the dance with the devil might last you forever

norwegianpidgeon

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 12:09:40 PM »
Too Human is nothing like FF.  In fact I despise FF games.  It's like they figured out the best and only way to do an RPG on the NES and then never changed the style of play and you have the same ancient battle format for 20 years.  Don't bash a game just based on what system it's for.  Too Human is made by Silicon Knights which made Eternal Darkness for the Game Cube which is probably my second favorite game of all time behind BG2.  I would suggest at least taking a look at it before dismissing it.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 07:17:40 PM »
Consoles and RPGs? An oxymoron if I ever heard one.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Rika

• thug life baby
  • Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 04:28:22 AM »
Thank you :)

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2008, 06:50:44 PM »
The truth has to be spoken sometime.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Rika

• thug life baby
  • Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2008, 05:25:52 AM »
Don't be too harsh tho ;)

Offline PrincessSuzie

• Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 05:31:47 AM »
For me, there's nothing better than BG2. True masterpiece. I didn't quite enjoyed PS:T nor NWN2 as much as BG2. PS:T has too much dialogues... IWD series is too combat based while NWN2 was... crap. NWN2 OC tried to copy BG2 and failed. MotB tried to copy PS:T and also failed.

Currently, I'm enjoying WoW a fair bit, but its no where close to BG2. I've played Oblivion but didn't enjoy it much either. Just waiting for Broken hourglass to be released.

Offline CoM_Solaufein

• CoM Founder
  • Planewalker
  • War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2008, 09:43:30 AM »
Nothing beats the IE games.

Non IE RPGs that are good are; Bloodlines, Diablo series, the Fallout series, NWN2 and the Kotor series.

Offline ddv

• Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2008, 12:12:11 PM »
Mass Effect. Best rpg. Ever. No doubt diehards will disagree, but they're all getting too old for games anyway.  ;D

It is a pity that nothing will ever again quite match the modability of the IE, however. I don't think anything else will have such lasting appeal ever again, save for an MMO.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:16:36 PM by DDV »

Offline catling

• Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008, 12:24:15 AM »
Hmm. I quite enjoyed Mass Effect, but I don't find that it has a lot of replayability. The central storyline was quite engrossing, but the side quests were disappointing and underdrawn. I also didn't like the fact that your NPCs - whilst had interesting backstories - didn't really interact much when out in the world. Where it shines though is just how much your choices effect your game. I particularly liked that you had to choose between your NPCs (even if they both were favourites) at one point. Good writing. Still, this game does leave alot to be desired.

I quite enjoyed the KOTOR series - it's a real shame about number 2 though. Romance choices were far better in 2 than 1.

Could never get into the NWN series. Same goes for Oblivion. Haven't tried Morrowind.

BG2 is still IMHO the best RPG out there. I started playing it about 6 years ago and I still find it just as engaging as the first time, and that's due by and large to the dedication of the modding community. Haven't played anything since to equal this rich game.

Offline nurgles_herald

• Planewalker
  • Valar dohaeris
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2008, 09:48:34 AM »
There's this really great game with a semi-sandbox feel, good character interaction, a nice plot, good gameplay, and near-infinite replayability.  Oh, and a very active and very professional modding community.  I think it's named Baldur's Gate II or something.  I'm going to have to get back to you on that.
"It makes far better sense to reshape ourselves to fit a finite planet than to attempt to reshape the planet to fit our infinite wants."

"Communism failed as an ascetic morality. Capitalism failed because it destroys morality altogether."
--David Orr

http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC27/Orr.htm

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2008, 10:07:05 AM »
Near infinite is the key word, I'm afraid.

No one mentioned Nox yet?

Offline joshuar9476

• Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 07:27:28 PM »
you must play the temple of elemental evil, but only after installing the work done by those over at the circle of eight.

Offline Jamoid

• Planewalker
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2009, 03:39:17 AM »
No one mentioned Nox yet?

i loved that game! had a pretty unique feel to it in the way you move and cast/attack etc. i seem to remember being impressed with the sparkling cursor at the menu screen too haha. i'm sure i played it again for nostalgia's sake a couple of years back, from what i remembered it aged worse than expected. : (

here are some of the more recent rpgs i've tried:

oblivion - a beautiful, technically impressive sandbox. problem is it's about as interesting as a box of sand. has probably the most impressive mod scene i have come across (besides bg2 ofc) but even that didn't save it for me, i just didn't find the world interesting.

mass effect - i was hugely excited about this game. i did manage to complete it but i pretty much hated it by the time i did. it does have replayability and roleplaying elements, as the way you talk and complete objectives really changes how things pan out. none of this really matters for someone like me though who just didn't enjoy it or like the dialogue. that said, many many people did.

fallout 3 - if you've never played the early fallout games and therefore don't compare it to them then you can have a lot of fun with this one. also has a fairly impressive (and growing every day) mod scene, because there are many people working on mods from both the oldschool fallout scene AND the huge oblivion mod scene. once they have all worked their magic i reckon it could become something special, when i played it though it was only really fun enough to complete once then forget about it.

the witcher - in my opinion probably the best of the more recent rpgs. you cannot choose your character or even name him, but like mass effect you can lvl him and roleplay him how you please and this effects the gameworld, the difference being that the witcher does it in a more interesting, far less cheesey way. some of the quests, particularly the city ones are also pretty interesting and deep too, and will draw you in like the rpgs of old. this is marred somewhat by the obligatory collect X amount of dog teeth and bring to X npc type quests, but you know every rpg has those.

as for the old games:

fallout 1/2 - incredibly unique setting, with some very very impressive dialogue and characters. the most impressive thing though is just the overall atmosphere. everything comes together nicely to create a dark, bizarre vibe unlike any other game. also a very impressive (if somewhat elitist) modding scene. much like baldur's gate 2 there have been people working on unofficial patches and mods for years, so you can play a pretty much bugfree game with almost everything the original designers wanted to put in but ran out of time to do so. that said, the graphics are pretty damn old these days, i don't have a problem with old graphics providing the music and general atmosphere holds up, but many do.

icewind dale 1/2 - the first is very much like a more action/multiplayer version of baldur's gate. far less roleplaying and no joinable npcs. don't let this put you off though, even though it lacks in some areas it makes up for it with atmosphere. some of the music and art is simply beautiful. i'd definitelly give it a try even if it only serves as something to dabble with inbetween baldur's gate 2 playthroughs. icewind dale 2 is pretty much more of the same with the addition of a new ruleset that works more like neverwinter nights. this adds a great deal of depth but with that comes many more hard decisions to make, especially when you're creating more than one character. also worth noting that the main flaw (lack of joinable npcs) can be remedied these days with mods, making them a whole lot more worth your time. if nothing else, you should use the portraits from these games, i usually swap all my baldur's gate npc portraits with ones from the icewind dale series. : P

arcanum: of steamworks and magick obscura - this can definitely be worth your time if you are willing to look past some pretty major flaws. has a huge world to explore with a lot of freedom and a huge amount of quests, all played out in a pretty unique setting (technology vs. magic). the problem is it just feels so unpolished. with the help of some mods you can make it a lot more stable and playable, but even with those it lacks polish and still feels pretty unbalanced. that said, i still enjoyed it greatly, but others on my list come first.

planescape: torment - you MUST play this game. it lags behind baldur's gate 2 in the gameplay department with less customizability and less spells/weapons etc, but where it shines more than anything i've ever played is dialogue. some of the conversations in this are so damn good that they almost feel out of place being in a computer game. this, along with very deep characters, very fitting music and a well designed, weird world make this one unmissable in my book. GET IT.

well, that ended up a lot longer than planned and the op is probably long gone anyway. ah well, gotta love typing nonsense with a morning coffee.

Offline Rodman49

• Excellence Incarnate
  • Planewalker
  • Nietzschean
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2009, 01:03:03 AM »
For a straight up CRPG I would have to say stick with Bioware.

Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic, and Jade Empire are easily within the top five of the CRPGs post-BG2.  The post by Jamoid picks out some good oldies as well as Fallout 3 and Oblivion (the other 2 rounding out the top five).

Offline CoM_Solaufein

• CoM Founder
  • Planewalker
  • War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2009, 03:40:12 AM »
I will add Fallout 3 to that small list of mine. Excellent. I was impressed and I'm one of those old school hard core Fallout fans who didn't think Bethesda could do it right.

Offline Rika

• thug life baby
  • Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2009, 02:00:02 PM »
System Shock 1
! System Shock 2

Offline PrincessSuzie

• Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2009, 05:04:55 AM »
I'd say don't get diablo if you don't like mindless hack n slash. I personally disliked diablo. On the other hand, I like WoW Oo but then again WoW can't really be really called rpg either. I suppose Im just more into elves, humans, dwarves etc than demons and demon hunters.

As for real rpg... ppl say MotB is awesome. I've never finshed it myself tho. Camera setting on nwn2 drove me crazy at least a dozen times.

Other than that.... I can only recommend old games. Planescape: Torment is good if you are into dialogues and NPC interactions. If you are more battle oriented person, then try IWD1 and IWD2.

Offline PrincessSuzie

• Planewalker
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2009, 05:06:53 AM »
What are the chances of BGIII ?
Is there a hope or is it all locked up by lawers and copyright crap.

Talking of crap, steer clear of NWN's.
I have tried to play NWN's but it so SO inferior to BG that I gave my copy away to a guy at work.

I'd say just let BG3 die. I liked the way BG2 ended and it should stay that way rather than trying to pop out something and ruin the saga.

Offline Rika

• thug life baby
  • Planewalker
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2009, 11:30:51 AM »
I'd say just let BG3 die. I liked the way BG2 ended and it should stay that way rather than trying to pop out something and ruin the saga.
Ruining an unruinable saga is something Bioware isn't up to.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2009, 12:11:32 PM »
In any case, BG3'd be a waaaaaaaaay different game, and likely in five or ten years after its release no one will remember: it'll just die quietly.

Offline the bigg

• The Avatar of Fighter / Thieves
  • Planewalker
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2009, 12:18:17 PM »
cough bioware is now owned by EA cough
Author or Co-Author: WeiDU (http://j.mp/bLtjOn) - Widescreen (http://j.mp/aKAiqG) - Generalized Biffing (http://j.mp/aVgw3U) - Refinements (http://j.mp/bLHoCc) - TB#Tweaks (http://j.mp/ba02Eg) - IWD2Tweaks (http://j.mp/98OFYY) - TB#Characters (http://j.mp/ak8J55) - Traify Tool (http://j.mp/g1Ry9A) - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics (http://j.mp/9UeIwB) - Nalia Mod (http://j.mp/dng9l0) - Nvidia Fix (http://j.mp/aRWjjg)
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types (http://j.mp/hVzzXG) - Stutter Investigator (http://j.mp/gdtBn8)

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git (http://j.mp/aBZFrq).

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2009, 03:14:36 PM »
In any case, BG3'd be a waaaaaaaaay different game, and likely in five or ten years after its release no one will remember: it'll just die quietly.

Just like Fallout 3.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: