Author Topic: Installation Problems  (Read 7939 times)

Earvin1718

Installation Problems
« on: March 20, 2007, 10:11:47 PM »
This is so odd. When I put the setup, it says its done in the setup, but the black screen where you are supposed tho select the language, it says something else. it says:

WeiDU had finished auto-updating all copies of itself in this directory.  Please RE-RUN Setup-DungeonBeGone.exe to actually install the mod.
<Sorry,  I Can't dot it for you, Windows won't let me>

How do i fix this?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Installation Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 02:08:55 AM »
Please RE-RUN Setup-DungeonBeGone.exe to actually install the mod.

:)

It's in your BG2 directory now.

Offline Eleima

• Planewalker
  • Be warned! Stickler for spelling & continuity =*)
    • My Fanfiction.net
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 07:38:23 AM »
I went insane with thos the first few couple of months, and it led me to do something really stupid, and that is, to install mods according to their WeiDU number.  No matter how many times I'd run the program again, from the BG2 file, it would still say "Sorry, I can't do it for you, Windows won't let me".  Drove me totally bonkers.

So what I figured out is that I'd run another WeiDU program, the one with the more recent coding, and it would upgrade the older WeiDU's.

Let's work with a concerte example.  I've just installed the Ascension mod which uses WeiDU version N°176, and now I want to install Dungeon Be Gone which is WeiDU N°154.  When I try to run DBG, it gives me the "sorry, can't do it" phrase.  So I start Ascension which will in turn upgrade DBG to WeiDU 176, and then I quit Ascension ASAP.  DBG then runs as normal.

Hope this helps.  I don't know if this is the way it's supposed to be done, but it worked for me. :D
Check out my DeviantArt account<br />as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net[/font]

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »
Okay, one more time:

There are two .exe files. First is Mod.exe, you download it from here. Then you run it, it installs in your BG2 directory and gives you this DOS message. You sigh(not necessarily), close the window, go to your BG2 directory and run the second .exe file - Setup-DungeonBeGone.exe,NOT the big exe file you downloaded from here. Then it installs immediately.

Indira, Xan and other newer mods have an update script, but Dungeon-Be-Gone is an old classic, and as such, you have to proceed the way described above.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 07:52:50 AM »
And, yes, sometimes you have to run it twice in your BG2 directory, or press "Enter" twice - depending on the version. It shouldn't be more complicated than this, though.

Offline Eleima

• Planewalker
    • My Fanfiction.net
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 11:59:11 AM »
Hm... :-\ I never got a "second" exe in the BG2 file, just a debug file.  I'm confused. ???
Maybe I'm just hopelessly clueless. ;D
Guess I'll stick to my method, it's working for now.  :-[
Check out my DeviantArt account<br />as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net[/font]

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 12:20:35 PM »
What you do:

Run setup-MyMod.exe once. You will see the black command window open, the screen fill with characters.

If you see something that says something like

Choose language:
0 English
1 Russian
etc

go ahead and install the mod

If you see something that ends in the sentence "Windows won't let me", then close the command window by clicking on the x in the upper right corner of the window.

You should be looking at your installation directory.

Double-click on setup-MyMod.exe again. The command window will open once again, and you will see the

Choose language:
0 English
1 Russian
etc

Go ahead, choose your language, and install the mod.

You should install mods based on the most sensible installation order, not by the WeiDU number. By doing what I have outlined, you will no longer need to use the version number as a guide.

Offline Eleima

• Planewalker
    • My Fanfiction.net
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 01:30:44 PM »
I understand what you're outlining, Berelinde, but for some reason, I never even got a choice of langage.  The mod wouldn't even run, it'd just skip to the "I can't do it, Windows won't let me", there wouldn't be any updating, unles I ran a more recent mod which would update the elder ones.  Once that was done, I would be able to go back to the one I was trying to install.  No matter how many times I would try to run said "MyMod", it would just give the same "I can't do it, Windows won't let me" (which I slowly but surely came to abhor ;D ).  I'm not sure why it wouldn't update itself, I needed some of its younger buddies to do it.
Go figure. ??? I'm not sure why it did that.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 01:47:12 PM »
If you are installing into your game directory, this should work. You are installing into your game directory, right?

Jen

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 11:15:42 AM »
I'm having the exact same issue, but running a newer mod only updated one other mod.  DBG and Kelsey are still not installed, and every time I try to re-run the exe like it says it only tells me to re-run it yet again.  I have no other install file in my bg folder, I made sure I was installing everything in the proper place...is it a problem with my computer?

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 11:24:01 AM »
You aren't, by any chance re-running the self-extracting archive, are you? When you run that, you should have a few files unpack at the very end of your list. One of them will be entitled setup-MyMod.exe or MyMod-setup.exe, there will be a mod folder, and maybe something with the extension tp2 and a couple bat files, depending on the age of the mod.

Double-clicking on the self-extracting archive, usually labeled MyMod.exe, the one you downloaded, will again return you to the one that ends with the instruction to run it again, but doubleclicking on the one labeled setup-MyMod.exe or MyMod-setup.exe, that unpacked at the end of the list, is the one you want. Double check, try it again, and tell me what you get.

Just to underline this a third time, to be absolutely clear: do not rerun the self-extracting archive. Double click on the one labeled setup-MyMod.exe. If you haven't refreshed your view, it will be one of the very last things listed in your installation directory after you unpack the mod.

Jen

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 11:38:32 AM »
I finally got the language prompt, but it ended with 'fatal error-dilalogue.tlk permission denied'.  Curious, I ran BG again and got the npc to appear, but his dialogue was blank...so I guess it really was a fatal error.  What now?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 11:57:28 AM »
Don't try to install the mods with your game(game-related utilities) running. Quit the game first.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 12:26:09 PM »
Another possibility, and another one I've found the hard, way is to forget to close one DOS window before running the next one.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: