Author Topic: Chapter/Dream sequence music  (Read 5321 times)

Offline RandomObserver

• Planewalker
Chapter/Dream sequence music
« on: January 14, 2007, 11:31:08 AM »
Hey, first of all, wonderful mod. Its been a small dream of mine to replay BG1 with decent graphics and now I've got my chance! :) UI and spell sound mods make the experience even better. So whoever made all this, thanks.

However, I've noticed something missing. In the original BG1 there used to be a background music during the dream sequences or new chapter introductions. The background music worked really well with the narrator's voice, it was quite "atmospheric". Now the dream sequences and chapter intros are read in dead silence. So I was wondering, is it possible to have the background music back somehow?

Lastly, sorry if its been mentioned in a previous topic. Couldn't find anything...

Edit: actually, I found this topic: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,19702.0.html
Where can I get the fixes that are mentioned there?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 11:33:26 AM by RandomObserver »

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Re: Chapter/Dream sequence music
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 12:47:23 PM »
Hello -

Ascension64 created a mod which restores the music to the Prologue screen -- do a search on "restored music" or his forum nick and you'll turn it up.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline pro5

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 03:23:35 PM »
It's also recently been updated to include dreams sequence music.

Look here for TxtMusic_v4.rar.

From the readme:
This small modification simply restores, and makes more consistent with the text, the music that is heard during the prologue textscreen and the dream textscreens in Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast.  Since the music is hard-coded into Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast, this music was remixed into the narration sounds.  Effort has been made to ensure the narration follows the text, so that the narrator does not narrate too far ahead of what the text shows.

REQUIREMENTS
BG1TuTu, EasyTutu, or Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU must be installed prior to installation of this modification.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 03:51:06 PM »
Edit: actually, I found this topic: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,19702.0.html
Where can I get the fixes that are mentioned there?
This is in Dudleyfix.  But I don't think Dudleyfix is compatible with EasyTutu, and I'm not sure if EasyTutu has incorporated these particular fixes (it sounds like not).

Offline RandomObserver

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 08:04:11 AM »
It's also recently been updated to include dreams sequence music.

Look here for TxtMusic_v4.rar.

From the readme:
This small modification simply restores, and makes more consistent with the text, the music that is heard during the prologue textscreen and the dream textscreens in Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast.  Since the music is hard-coded into Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast, this music was remixed into the narration sounds.  Effort has been made to ensure the narration follows the text, so that the narrator does not narrate too far ahead of what the text shows.

REQUIREMENTS
BG1TuTu, EasyTutu, or Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU must be installed prior to installation of this modification.

Thanks! I've downloaded it and it does restore music to the dream sequences. Problem is, its the wrong music... I've actually loaded up the original Bg1 and played the game until the first dream sequence to confirm that. Perhaps the person who made that mod thought that different music would suit the dream sequences better, which is actually the opposite :(

Offline pro5

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 09:16:23 AM »
Hmm, looks like original game used CNITE - generic city night theme.

This mod uses DREAMA.ACM - which appears otherwise unused anywhere. I tried consoling through all dream sequences and several chapter screens, they all use CNITE.

Hold on, that's not true. I just played all OGG files included with the package and they contain correct CNITE music.  ???
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 09:29:52 AM by pro5 »

Offline Balquo

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 03:03:38 PM »
Yeah it's the wrong music being played during the dreams.  I'm not sure what the correct music is called but on the BG Soundtrack it's called "The Dream".

Looking at the BG music folder I'd bet it's "Dream.mus"

Offline pro5

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 06:17:07 PM »
I also think DREAM is better for dream sequences, but I repeat:

I'm testing it on Baldur's Gate: Original Saga 3 CD edition. All dreams and chapter screens are either playing CNITE for me, or not playing any music (just narrator's voice). It's strange because I also remember hearing DREAM theme before.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 07:16:50 PM »
It's strange because I also remember hearing DREAM theme before.
Perhaps in a dream IRL? :D  So what would the suggested fix (or perhaps, tweak) be for this?

Offline Ascension64

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 07:37:54 PM »
Is this a bug in the Original Saga? Dream.mus points to CNiteA.acm, not DreamA.acm.

Offline Balquo

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 04:13:32 AM »
I've just tested with both the 6disc version and the Original Saga 3 CD version.

6 Disc version = DreamA.acm
Original Saga 3 CD version = CNiteA.acm

So it is a bug with the Original Saga then, however I would really prefer if you linked it back to DreamA.acm.

Offline Ascension64

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 12:46:28 AM »
OK.

asdf

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 07:39:05 AM »
Why isn't this TxtMusic_v4 mod included as part of Easy Tutu?  I didn't even know it existed until now  >:( and all this time I thought there was a bug preventing the music in the dream sequence and prologue screens from being playing.

I love Easy Tutu, but if it really wants to make the BG1 experience identical to Tutu, it should include things like this TxtMusic, Tutu Degreenifier, Restored Casting sounds, Restored BG1 GUI, Spawn Randomizer etc - ALL as part of the Easy Tutu installer... at least make them as optional components during the install, so users don't have to find and download them individually.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 04:33:55 PM »
Hello -

Why isn't this TxtMusic_v4 mod included as part of Easy Tutu?

IIRC, this mod adds a decent chunk of change to the size of the override.  I'd rather not get into including tweaks which inflate the EasyTutu download sizes unnecessarily -- this forces it on everyone, including the people who don't care about the issue and would rather a smaller download instead.

I love Easy Tutu, but if it really wants to make the BG1 experience identical to Tutu,

I try to make Tutu both easier to install and less buggy, not emulate it exactly.

Tutu Degreenifier

The degreenifier adds 1.5 GBs to the final install size.  It should absolutely remain optional.

, Restored Casting sounds, Restored BG1 GUI

The casting sounds aren't for everyone (including myself).  Optional is better.  I do love Tutu GUI, but again we're into a rather sizeable mod.

Spawn Randomizer

This particular EasyTutu add-on is a bit of a niche product -- it's the least downloaded one.  I really don't want to get into asking a lot of questions about spawns that might confuse or irritate people.  I'm rather proud of the fact that EasyTutu takes such a direct route to a stable installation without countless questions being part of the process.  As for finding this particular one, it isn't too hard -- it's on the same page!

Grand_dracolich

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 05:27:12 PM »
Hello -

The degreenifier adds 1.5 GBs to the final install size.  It should absolutely remain optional.

Well there goes that... I'll stick with either the green water, or plain software rendering...

asdf

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 07:58:23 PM »
Macready, I wasn't saying any of the components should be installed mandatory.  I was hoping more like a custom BG1 install, where the user would select only the certain components that they want to be installed.

The thing is, I would've installed the TxtMusic_v4 fix myself, but until today, I never knew about it. I didn't see a link for it in the BG1tutu page or on the Easytutu page.  Anyway, no big deal.

Offline pro5

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 08:09:21 PM »
Hello -

Well there goes that... I'll stick with either the green water, or plain software rendering...

Or play BGT? :)

Seriously, BGT is now just 11.2 mb download and the problem of "green water" doesn't exist there (I've never seen it until I installed EasyTutu the other day recently).

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 08:50:51 PM »
Hello -

Or play BGT? :)

Seriously, BGT is now just 11.2 mb download and the problem of "green water" doesn't exist there

OK, I'll bite.  Please describe the process by which BGT renders BG1 maps with 3D acceleration without adding overlays to the relevant tilesets.

Offline pro5

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 05:14:21 AM »
OK, I'll bite.  Please describe the process by which BGT renders BG1 maps with 3D acceleration without adding overlays to the relevant tilesets.

Heh, for technical details - you should consult A64.  ;)

As a player, I never needed to bother about how it works. If the problem does exist, it's solved in the background while I'm drinking my coffee during installation.  ;D

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 05:18:35 AM »
Hello -

I never needed to bother about how it works.

That much is obvious from your post.  The point I am trying to make is that Tutu gives the HDD-frugal end user the option to save 1.5 GBs and disable 3DA, while from your description it sounds as if the 1.5GB tileset patch is mandatory in BGT.

Offline pro5

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 05:59:01 AM »
Fair enough, although I got modern enough HD not to worry about free space, I understand there are people in different situation.

(However, even w/o degreenifier EasyTutu still requires more space at install time, because it leaves 3 BG installations behind when it's done - BG1, BGTutu and BG2)

Offline RandomObserver

• Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 11:09:58 AM »
So back on topic, is the Dream sequence music getting fixed? :)

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 05:17:30 PM »
Hello -

(However, even w/o degreenifier EasyTutu still requires more space at install time, because it leaves 3 BG installations behind when it's done - BG1, BGTutu and BG2)

Yes.  I have been toying with the idea of adding a destructive install option, where BG1 is absorbed into the EasyTutu installation, thus combining installation of EasyTutu and uninstallation of BG1 into one step (and saving disk space).  I need to think about implementation, though, as I really don't want to confuse people with extra questions.

Offline Ascension64

• Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 06:39:03 PM »
So back on topic, is the Dream sequence music getting fixed? :)
Yes, it will be. I'm in charge of this, so I'll get it done soon, not forgetting about yet another 50MB upload on my slowish connection.

Offline Smoketest

• Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2007, 07:33:24 PM »
I've just tested with both the 6disc version and the Original Saga 3 CD version.

6 Disc version = DreamA.acm
Original Saga 3 CD version = CNiteA.acm

So it is a bug with the Original Saga then, however I would really prefer if you linked it back to DreamA.acm.
Kind of a late reply, but since I found this problem with the Original Saga when it first came out and reported it to Dudleyville back when they were active in fixing BG1 bugs, they have the fixed MUS files available for download. What happened is that somehow the MUS file contents were duplicated, so that BC2 was the same as BC1, BD2 was the same as BD1, and so on down the list. (You can open the MUS files in Notepad to see this for yourself.) All of the required ACMs are present, they just aren't being referred to by the MUS files. Just download Dudleyville's IDS/2DA/MUS patch and copy the MUS files directly into your music folder. You'll also get their bugfixes to the MUS files.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: