Author Topic: Tutu with mid-game saves?  (Read 1567 times)

Ghostdance

Tutu with mid-game saves?
« on: February 08, 2007, 04:22:46 AM »
I have gone back to playing Baldur's Gate, having picked up the fairly recent English 4 DVD release version.  Everything about it is running fine, and I'm thoroughly enjoying playing again, but have only recently discovered all this Tutu business.

I'm about a quarter of the way through the game.  If I install Tutu now, am I likely to screw up my savegame?

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
Re: Tutu with mid-game saves?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 04:34:06 AM »
EasyTutu (which you want instead of regular Tutu if you're playing in English) creates a new install separate from BG1 and BG2.  So no, it won't mess up your save game, but you won't be able to play with that game in Tutu.  You can import your PC into a new game though, if you want.  If you go crazy with modding it (highly recommended), it might be an entirely different game anyhow. :D

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 05:10:12 AM »
*grins*  Well, I did mention Tutu on another forum.  Looks like it paid off.
"Some say that our destinies may be read in the stars, that the plans of the gods are revealed to those who but know where to look.  They speak it true but their location is false, for I have seen my destiny shining in your eyes" (Anomen, PPG NPC Flirt Pack)

"You know you're tired when you get up from the desk and the headset's still around your neck"

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 05:23:29 AM »
Hello -

The very latest EasyTutu release has a new feature which consumes your BG1 installation during setup in order to conserve on disk space usage.  If you are wanting to keep your BG1 installation intact, you should NOT use that option, and should opt for a "normal" installation instead.

BG1 saves are not compatible with Tutu.  Although your BG1 savegame will continue to work in BG1, you'll have to start anew in Tutu.

BG1NPC and TutuGUI are two very popular mods for Tutu, if you end up going that route.  Worth a look.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 08:36:38 AM »
I didn't need to conserve disk space this time, so I used an older release of EasyTutu.  EasyTutu is the best way to install Tutu.  If you have a game in progress, I'd suggest exporting that character, parking the save somewhere else on your harddrive, then shoving it back into the Saves folder when you're done with the conversion.  (I think that works, doesn't it, Macready?)
"Some say that our destinies may be read in the stars, that the plans of the gods are revealed to those who but know where to look.  They speak it true but their location is false, for I have seen my destiny shining in your eyes" (Anomen, PPG NPC Flirt Pack)

"You know you're tired when you get up from the desk and the headset's still around your neck"

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 04:31:27 PM »
Hello -

I didn't need to conserve disk space this time, so I used an older release of EasyTutu.  EasyTutu is the best way to install Tutu.  If you have a game in progress, I'd suggest exporting that character, parking the save somewhere else on your harddrive, then shoving it back into the Saves folder when you're done with the conversion.  (I think that works, doesn't it, Macready?)

Actually, a "normal" installation of EasyTutu doesn't touch your BG1 / BG2 installations, so any BG1 or BG2 savegames you might have will be fine, without needing to be shoved aside somewhere.  Or did I just misunderstand your question?  If you mean the whole eating BG1 feature, then yes, backing up any saves from BG1 is probably wise, and they should work fine if put back into play on a reinstalled BG1 at a later date.  The only potential issue to watch out for there would be mods (i.e., if you were using mods, you'd need to reinstall the same versions of the same components of the same mods in the same order to assure your savegames are in synch with your gaming environment).
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 09:34:28 PM »
Sorry, Macready, the post *was* a bit ambiguous.  I was tired when I posted it.  I did mean the one that consumes your BG1 install.  I didn't use that one as space was not an issue.  What I meant was that if Ghostdance uses the "consume" one, he/she park the export save somewhere else while installing, then bring it back in after installation is complete.

Ghostdance

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 02:42:35 AM »
Thanks all.  I've decided against using Tutu since my game is already a substantial way through, but clearly my discovery of Tutu is as good an excuse as any to play BG1 again when I'm done!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: