Author Topic: Tutu and 'other' fixpack compatibility. Advice needed.  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Rypien

• Planewalker
Tutu and 'other' fixpack compatibility. Advice needed.
« on: December 17, 2006, 06:38:59 AM »
G'day guys.

Been a while since i dabbled with BG1 and 2.  Always had em loaded on the my various computers and have often wanted to relive some ole quests but never got around to it.   Amazing how a mortage and kids can eat up soo much gametime  ::) ;)

This time i'd like to have TuTu loaded up to make BG1 a bit better, and also to have some sort of Bug Fixpack to make BGII less buggy.  I've got the fixpack from the 'Gibberlings Three website - http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s=57c035fc819c0066ab5073e3f5b56f60&showtopic=8533 .

So, what i intend to do is -

Reinstall BG1
Reinstall BG1 ToSC
Reinstall BGII SoA
Reinstall BGII SoA bonus disk
Reinstall BGII ToB
Reinstall official BGII Patch (No 26498)
Install 'Easy TuTu'

Can i also install the Gibberlings Three BGII Bugfix Pack?  I can't see where its listed as compatible or not with TuTu?  I'm assuning it will be ok.  I've also been looking at the 'unfinished business' mod thats as far as i can tell not compatible.

What i really need to know is if my install proceedure as listed above is the way to go for some hassle free gaming goodness, and if indeed i can load up the fixpack as well. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ps - i know there are lots of great 'mods' out there but i want to keep things pretty standard for now.  I've heard rumours of the 'unfinished business' mod being compatible sometime in the near future and i may wait until i can get TuTu/Fixpack/unfinished business all going together.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 12:27:57 AM by Rypien »

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Re: Tutu and 'other' fixpack compatibility. Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 07:29:11 AM »
Hello -

Amazing how a mortage and kids can eat up soo much gametime  ::) ;)

Yes.  They eat up development time as well. :)

Reinstall BG1
Reinstall BG1 ToSC
Reinstall BGII SoA
Reinstall BGII ToB
Reinstall official BGII Patch (No 26498
Install 'Easy TuTu'

So far so good.  Make sure you get the "ToB" flavor of EasyTutu.  FYI there will be a new EasyTutu release soon (next weekend-ish).

Can i also install the Gibberlings Three BGII Bugfix Pack?  I can't see where its listed as compatible or not with TuTu?  I'm assuning it will be ok.

No.  As far as I know, it was not developed to install cleanly on a Tutu installation.  I certainly wouldn't attempt to apply it to an EasyTutu installation.  Applying it prior to conversion doesn't really help, either, as doing so will not affect EasyTutu (and conventional Tutu uses converted BG1 spells, so in that environment you'd be skipping 90% of what's relevant to the BG1-in-BG2-engine experience anyway).

I do plan to integrate the fixpack directly into EasyTutu, but I haven't gotten there yet.

I've also been looking at the 'unfinished business' mod thats as far as i can tell not compatible.

True.  There is a prototype Tutu conversion floating around somewhere, but I'm not sure if you can get hooked up with that or not (or how well it works).

ps - i know there are lots of great 'mods' out there but i want to keep things pretty standard for now.

You should really look at BG1NPC at G3.  It is by far the most popular of the Tutu mods, and is much more directly applicable to what you are doing than is the BG2 fixpack.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 09:48:19 AM »
You might want to take a look at this thread on the Gibberlings 3 forum. We've been throwing stuff at Tutu until it breaks, and we've found that it's amazingly resilient. You will find, though, that the BG2 Fixpack is not designed to work with Tutu.

This link discusses mods and installation order in exhaustive detail.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=8122

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 01:52:10 PM »
What is this?  Something in an earlier version of the game?  I assume it's not ToB since that's listed separately.
I've also been looking at the 'unfinished business' mod thats as far as i can tell not compatible.
The Tutu version is in beta (or perhaps alpha) testing.  From what I saw of the code, a lot will probably need to be done to make it fully compatible.  Though I haven't heard anything as far as actual status of testing or development.
Can i also install the Gibberlings Three BGII Bugfix Pack?
There is talk of a BG1/Tutu fixpack.Without Baldurdash, Dudleyville or BG1UB (since all those are incompatible with Tutu) a lot of the BG1 glitches will still be evident.  Apparently the prototype code for this is floating around in Limbo somewhere (or on various workstations in different countries, but close enough).

I do plan to integrate the fixpack directly into EasyTutu, but I haven't gotten there yet.
The BG2 Fixpack?  This would fix the BG2 glitches but what about for BG1?  Would the work you're doing conflict with the potential project discussed above?

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 02:22:50 PM »
Hello -

The BG2 Fixpack?

Yes.  Spell and kit fixes, for the most part.

This would fix the BG2 glitches but what about for BG1?  Would the work you're doing conflict with the potential project discussed above?

I've basically been handling BG1 bugs myself.  A lot's been done already, I continue to smooth out a lot of rough edges as I wade through dialogs for the journal conversion, and I correct whatever other issues people bring up that can be replicated on a clean EasyTutu installation.  The idea of a "fixpack" seems a bit silly, since that is usually an approach that is taken for projects which have ceased development (e.g., BG2.  hence the G3 fixpack).

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 08:40:06 PM »
I correct whatever other issues people bring up that can be replicated on a clean EasyTutu installation.
Such as this stuff?  I'm just wondering because it would certainly help to have a lot of that fixed in core Tutu.  I'm going through a mod right now that tweaks a lot of standard CREs and while I'm at it, fixing a lot of values that are either flat out wrong (contain invalid data) or nonsensical, e.g.:
Code: [Select]
COPY_EXISTING ~_DOOMDUR.CRE~ ~override/~_DOOMDUR.CRE~ //Dwarven Doom Guard
 WRITE_BYTE 0x237 1 //Sex (male, was 158)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x271 1 //General (humanoid, was monster)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x272 4 //Race (dwarf, was human)
 WRITE_BYTE 0x275 1 //Gender (male, was 9e)
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
And then there's a lot of invalid string refs in Tutu that possibly got corrupted as a result of the conversion because they aren't present in BG1 - stuff like that could probably be corrected en masse.  I think BG1UB and maybe some other mods fix some of the same sorts of things.  So It would certainly make it easier for when I'm checking for actual invalid data (introduced by a mod for example) if this sort of stuff didn't get returned in error checks.  Though I guess one could construct a set of filters but it'd almost be quicker to just fix it.  And if you're happy fixing it in the core, then yes, it doesn't make much sense to have fixpacks (or certainly other mods doing redundant fixes).

Offline Rypien

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 12:26:26 AM »
Thank you guys all so much for your replies and advice.  Much appreciated  ;)

I just might wait until the newer updated version of EasyTuTu comes out then start my install.  Shame that the G3 Fixpack and Unfinished Business is not yet compatible with TuTu, as this would be BG nirvana  8)

I guess what i could do would be to load up everything (as in my original post) and then play BG1 and ToSC through with EasyTuTu installled.  That way i get play through BG1 with some extra features TuTu provides.  Then i could save my gamesaves/characters to disk and unisntall everthing BG related on the computer.  Then load everthing back up (without TuTu) and then install all  the G3 FixPack, unfinsihed business, and any other mods that tickle my fancy and play BGII and ToB through that way.  Mmmmmm.  Think i've even confused myself ..... but it may work i guess.  Best of both worlds perhaps?

Thanks again fellas.  Looking forward to once again picking up the flail and heading off in search of some advanture.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 12:42:04 AM by Rypien »

Offline cvieor

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 01:20:33 AM »
You don't need to uninstall anything.  EasyTuTu doesn't change any of your BG1 or BG2 files, it creates a new directory which you can mod to your heart's desire.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 04:38:39 PM »
Hello -

Such as this stuff?

Not particularly, no.  I maintain Tutu such that it plays well, not to make game editors happy.  I'm really only interested in problems which manifest in-game.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 05:02:40 PM »
Not particularly, no.  I maintain Tutu such that it plays well, not to make game editors happy.  I'm really only interested in problems which manifest in-game.
Ok, that clarifies things then.  We will still need a BG1/Tutu fixpack in the spirit of the BG2 fixpack.  (One could argue that a number of these problems will manifest in-game, but only under certain conditions - for example if you target a CRE with an incorrectly-set race with something intended for that race, but I respect your viewpoint of focusing on other things... just want to make sure we're not doing redundant fixes.)

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 05:20:32 PM »
Hello -

(One could argue that a number of these problems will manifest in-game, but only under certain conditions - for example if you target a CRE with an incorrectly-set race with something intended for that race

Well, that sort of thing I am interested in, as it affects the gaming experience.  But "hey, an editor spouted out this list of items that I haven't vetted for relevance in any significant fashion" isn't something I'm going to take very seriously.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 06:26:35 PM »
But "hey, an editor spouted out this list of items that I haven't vetted for relevance in any significant fashion" isn't something I'm going to take very seriously.
I'm not sure I would ratify your characterisation of my approach.  Sure, I didn't examine each and every line, but I did spot check a number of things and noticed some issues, an example of which I gave above.  And I'll even agree I lack the expertise to fully determine whether some of the things will cause problems.  But a blanket dismissal of the effort isn't too encouraging and falls in the same category as 'not vetting for relevance in any significant fashion.'  Leaving those sentiments aside for now, can we agree on a procedure for submitting corrections such as the category above, and what you would consider addressing in core and what belongs elsewhere.  Cheers.

Offline Rypien

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 02:13:54 PM »
I know i'm not the sharpest tool in the box, but what i 'think' i will do for now is to play BG1 and ToSC through with EasyTuTu installed.  Then save my characters to disk and then import them into my BG2 install (with the G3 fixpack and maybe Unfinished Business).  I'm guessing this will work without any conflicts with compatability (as long as i install the G3 fixpack and Unfinished Busuniess after i've completed BG1 with TuTu). 

TuTu will add soo much to BG1, and i'd love to continue to use these TuTu BG1 characters in my BG2 game.  Importing them into a modded BG2 game shouldn't cause any problems i hope, as the G3 Fixpack and Unfinished Business sound sweet).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 02:21:15 PM by Rypien »

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 07:04:26 PM »
I'd love to continue to use these TuTu BG1 characters in my BG2 game.  Importing them into a modded BG2 game shouldn't cause any problems i hope, as the G3 Fixpack and Unfinished Business sound sweet.
No it shouldn't cause a problem.  Aside from the usual limitations of importing BG1 chars into BG2 (e.g. only certain items transfer).  You don't have to wait til you're done with the Tutu game to install the BG2 mods - you just have to do it after the Tutu conversion, since EasyTutu installs in a separate folder.  And I assume you're talking about BG2UB - BG1/Tutu UB is theoretically available now (in beta)...  I guess Santa didn't come early to PPG this year. :(

Offline Rypien

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 01:07:36 AM »
Thank you for your help Miloch  ;) 

And a Merry Xmas to you all  :)  Can't believe that after all these years i'm still looking forward to testing out new things with such an old game like BG1.  I can still remember getting it brand new in the big original box.  Ah, the memories.  Found one of the sites a mate of mine made up all those years ago.  Pretty rough around the edges and good for a laugh.  God BG1 was fun  ;D
http://www.angelfire.com/va2/jpvhpage/ 

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: