Author Topic: Advice on EasyTutu respawn  (Read 4281 times)

stanthony

Advice on EasyTutu respawn
« on: December 06, 2006, 02:40:13 PM »
Hello all,

I would appreciate if somebody could answer my questions on spawning. I am totally new to Tutu, so please forgive my stupidity :) Now, I do know that spawning of monsters is inhereted from BG2 engine, and basically very little can be done about it, but still my questions are:

1. Is there any way to turn spawning off completely? Likely, 'no', i know, but still...
2. On difficulty setting Core Rules, on the first map E of Candlekeep I'm getting several groups of Black bears (which is not that bad since they won't attack you immediately), several groups of 6 gibberlings and at least one group of 2 Dread wolfs who hand my ass to me on a plate. With a group of 1st lvl Mage and Imoen they are impossible to defeat. Question is - is it normal? Will it get any worse any time soon? Or any time at all? I really enjoy Tutu and BG1NPC mods but *such* kind respawning brings the game terribly close to Oblivion respawn/monster leveling model, which sucks dead donkeys through a garden hose ;)
3. I've heard that manipulating the difficulty slider should somehow affect respawns in the game, but I'm not sure I want to do it. If I bring slider to Easy will it eliminate respawns? Will it also make my game 'easy' in terms of damage monster do to me and all other things that suppose to go together with 'easy' vanilla BG1?

Many thanks in advance.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Re: Advice on EasyTutu respawn
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 05:53:12 PM »
Hello -

1. Is there any way to turn spawning off completely? Likely, 'no', i know, but still...

You can't turn spawning off completely (and you'd be missing a lot if you did), but you can effectively disable respawning via the EasyTutu Spawn Randomizer mod, which you can find in the "Optional Add-Ons" section of the main EasyTutu page.

2. On difficulty setting Core Rules, on the first map E of Candlekeep I'm getting several groups of Black bears (which is not that bad since they won't attack you immediately), several groups of 6 gibberlings and at least one group of 2 Dread wolfs who hand my ass to me on a plate. With a group of 1st lvl Mage and Imoen they are impossible to defeat. Question is - is it normal?

Yes.  Although spawns are tied to the game difficulty level, so if you want things a bit easier, knock it down a notch or two.  Core Rules isn't supposed to be easy.

Will it get any worse any time soon? Or any time at all? I really enjoy Tutu and BG1NPC mods but *such* kind respawning brings the game terribly close to Oblivion respawn/monster leveling model, which sucks dead donkeys through a garden hose ;)

It gets better, in the sense that you can handle the spawns much more easily as you grow in power.  I humbly submit that you have no business stumbling around the woods by yourself as a level 1 mage.  Listen to Gorion and get yourself to the Friendly Arm already.

3. I've heard that manipulating the difficulty slider should somehow affect respawns in the game, but I'm not sure I want to do it.

Oh.  OK, yes.  You already know about this.

If I bring slider to Easy will it eliminate respawns?

No, but the mod I mentioned earlier will (the second component which allows you to set the respawn interval to 1000 days).  Again, please note that this will disable respawns, but not the initial spawns.

Will it also make my game 'easy' in terms of damage monster do to me and all other things that suppose to go together with 'easy' vanilla BG1?

Yes.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

stanthony

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 06:02:53 PM »
Thank you very much indeed, Macready! I will try using Respawn Randomizer and also will get my butt to the Friendly Arms to see how things go from the perspective of four party members :) I didn't mean to sound rude if I did in my previous post, not at all. Tutu + BG1NPC are wonderful mods and I appreciate the work that was put into them. It is just... that I don't like respawns very much as you could have noticed by now :)

My problem with the hordes of re-appearing monsters is, perhaps, that I am very much used to PnP D&D and don't take CRPG conventions too well. Fast and furious respawn being one of them.

Thanks again!

Offline Elhoim

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 11:57:03 AM »
The only thing to "complain" about is that in vanilla BG there were only 1 black bear and some couples of normal wolves. Personally I set it to 60% chance. I don´t want areas refilling almost I soon as I leave a la Diablo. ;)

Offline Bursk

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 10:30:40 AM »
Can I just clarify something regarding the respawn interval?  If I set it to 2 days, does this mean that enemies will respawn on day 2 (after 24 hours have elapsed) or on day 3 (after 48 hours have elapsed)?

I want to try a game where an area has spawns again on the third day, since I think that's a realistic time for enemies to have moved in from other areas (from a roleplaying perspective).

If anyone has any suggestions for an alternate setting, I'd like to hear them.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 11:12:47 AM »
Hello -

Can I just clarify something regarding the respawn interval?  If I set it to 2 days, does this mean that enemies will respawn on day 2 (after 24 hours have elapsed) or on day 3 (after 48 hours have elapsed)?

Two day interval = 48 hours.

From a "what should I pick" perspective, IMO the biggest factor is in what happens if you leave a map in order to return to town for selling / healing / etc.  An interval long enough to allow for one such quick round trip with no respawns is nice.

Offline Bursk

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 03:36:18 PM »
So by chosing a respawn interval of 2 game days that'll mean the enemies reappear on the 3rd day, right?

Do you know what setting is best for 'An interval long enough to allow for one such quick round trip with no respawns is nice.'?  I'd like to get some idea of what's best to use before I start my game.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 03:41:11 PM »
Hello -

So by chosing a respawn interval of 2 game days that'll mean the enemies reappear on the 3rd day, right?

This seems an unnecessarily complex way of thinking about it.  Each increment of one day adds 24 game hours.  1 = 24, 2 = 48, and so forth.  I can't state it any plainer than that.

Do you know what setting is best for 'An interval long enough to allow for one such quick round trip with no respawns is nice.'?  I'd like to get some idea of what's best to use before I start my game.

I can't tell you exactly, because the time needed to travel to town depends on which map you're on.  Imagine in your mind a travelling time you'd like to be able to accomplish (e.g., 36 hours), double it to account for the return trip (now 72 hours), and you have a ballpark.

Offline Bursk

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 09:03:54 AM »
I can't state it any plainer than that.

Here's an example of how to do this:

Q: So by chosing a respawn interval of 2 game days that'll mean the enemies reappear on the 3rd day, right?

A: Yes.

Thanks for your help, Macready.

Edit: I just realised that this may sound a bit rude, but that is not my intention.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:24:23 AM by Bursk »

MAG

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 02:09:56 AM »

nunz: On difficulty setting Core Rules, on the first map E of Candlekeep I'm getting several groups of Black bears (which is not that bad since they won't attack you immediately), several groups of 6 gibberlings and at least one group of 2 Dread wolfs

Question is - is it normal?

Kulyok: Yes.  Although spawns are tied to the game difficulty level, so if you want things a bit easier, knock it down a notch or two.  Core Rules isn't supposed to be easy

nunz: Will it get any worse any time soon? Or any time at all? I really enjoy Tutu and BG1NPC mods but *such* kind respawning brings the game terribly close to Oblivion respawn/monster leveling model, which sucks dead donkeys through a garden hose Wink

Kulyok: It gets better, in the sense that you can handle the spawns much more easily as you grow in power.  I humbly submit that you have no business stumbling around the woods by yourself as a level 1 mage.  Listen to Gorion and get yourself to the Friendly Arm already.

Hi, thanks for the great work on Easytutu!

Question: is there any way (like with the Walking Speeds) to get ~Original BG1 monsters like "regular wolfs + regular bears at the first area"?

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 03:53:52 PM »
Hi -

Hi, thanks for the great work on Easytutu!

Question: is there any way (like with the Walking Speeds) to get ~Original BG1 monsters like "regular wolfs + regular bears at the first area"?

All of the EasyTutu spawn points mirror the BG1 ones exactly in terms of monster possibilities.  EasyTutu allows for the higher level spawns to occur at any time, though.  I actually prefer it that way, as I'm not a fan of game systems where the game world falls over itself trying to customize itself to your current power level (e.g., unmodified Oblivion).  So my response is: "don't wander the wilderness until you're ready or have enough help." :)

You're not the only one to ask for this though.  It's just that given the large scope and complexity of the spawn system, I'm unlikely to pick it up again to make these sorts of changes.

Offline ElfBane

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 07:47:19 AM »
You need to roleplay this situation. If you're a mage then you need minions.......... and soon. A low level mage is,,,,well, basically, food for monsters. Get your booty to the Friendly Arm and pick up Jahiera and Khalid. Or if you want to play evil, then pick up Xzar and Montaron on the Coast Way. And if you are trying to solo a mage,,,,,,,WELLLLLL,,,,Good Luck. 'Cause you are going to need it.....LOTS of it. Going solo with a mage in BG1 is VERY hard. I would say that it's virtually impossible without prior knowledge. Think about it,,,,,, you would almost certainly have to play an Elf, just for the Charm resistance. If you EVER fail your save against Charm and the Charm-like spells...it's GAME OVER. You may just have to face the fact that a L1 mage is fodder. Hell,,,a L2 fighter can't always beat 2 wolves.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: