Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 25376 times)

Offline Everlong

• Carpe Diem
  • Planewalker
  • If you lived here, you'd be home by now
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 05:17:02 AM »
Just finished reading Tully by Paullina Simons, she's an amazing author, now just started reading The Best of Friends by Cathy Kelly.
Dan Mott: What are you doing? <br />Jerry Conlaine: Taking off my shoes.<br />Dan Mott: Why? <br />Jerry Conlaine: Because I run faster with no shoes.<br />Dan Mott: You can't out-run that bear! Jerry Conlaine: I dont have to out-run the bear, I just have to out-run you!

Offline Riviera

• Insanity and Randomness Incarnate
  • Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 02:16:41 PM »
Once I get ahold of it again..

Doll House by Tabitha King.

She's not quite as good a writer as her husband, but good in her own right.
NPC favorites:

Xan
Kivan
Solaufein
Tsujatha

Note that they are all elves <3

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 03:02:16 PM »
Just finished The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett, and am eagerly looking forward to the rest of the DiscWorld series.
You're in for some major laughs but just watch out - the man can write faster than you can read.  Well, faster than I can read anyway.

Zelazny's short stories are every bit as good as his longer work (which I find to be a mixed bag, but when he is good he is freaking awesome).

The second half of the Amber series would, on its own, be great, but after the first half its rather disappointing. I too got burned out when I tried to read it the first time. But even though it's got a lot of inconsistencies with the first half, there's still cool stuff, like Ghostwheel and Mandor (and his balls).
I think Nine Princes in Amber is still one of the best books ever.  I'm not even going to say one of the best "fantasy" books, because it's got at least as much sci-fi, mystery, action and romance.  I'd hoped he'd've come back to explain what happened to Corwin while Merlin was running around but the best he did were some hard to find, out of print short stories some printer should really make a compilation out of.  There's a newer prequel series about Oberon by another author Betancourt that gets maligned a lot but it's actually not bad, if you take it for what it is.

Offline Anacron

• Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 04:37:49 PM »
Has anyone read Maia or Shardik, both by Richard Adams?  They're two of my favourite novels ever, and no-one else seems to have heard of them. :( 

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 06:32:33 PM »
Neverwinter Nights 2 strategy guide.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline melora

• The Quiet Storm
  • Planewalker
  • I don't need your attitude, i have one of my own !
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 08:44:51 PM »
Has anyone read Maia or Shardik, both by Richard Adams?  They're two of my favourite novels ever, and no-one else seems to have heard of them. :( 

read them both, years ago.... thought they both were better than Watership Down
Somebody had to be me; it might as well be me.<br />-Charles Barkley

Offline Lord 342

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2006, 03:32:57 AM »
Neverwinter Nights 2 strategy guide.

Ah!  Paper copy I assume... is it any good?

A Brave New World -Aldus Huxley, for like the 111th time (for a class again; but I like the book)
USER ERROR: Please replace user and strike any key to continue.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2006, 05:13:33 PM »
Its good enough. It lacks information on some mini quests and recipes for making items, otherwise its good.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline AkashaCatBat

• Loves Glowsticks
  • Planewalker
  • Teh Akasha
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2006, 07:48:10 PM »
Currently working on The Tales of The Otori series by Lian Hearn. They're an easy read, but entertaining enough. The books are part fantasy, part historical fiction, and set in a sort of pseudo Japan.
"In this world of miracles, there's nothing wrong we can't make right." - Feeling Electric

Offline Riviera

• Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2006, 10:27:16 PM »
Working on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix right now.. I know I'm behind..  :)
NPC favorites:

Xan
Kivan
Solaufein
Tsujatha

Offline MyFinalHeaven

• Planewalker
  • Question the entire culture you take for granted
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2006, 08:00:28 PM »
Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Nietzsche

God is dead, play dice for death and all that stuff.
Come here little bird
let me lick your feathers back.
Come here to your complicated cat.

Offline Menelanna

• Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2006, 10:51:23 PM »
Working on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix right now.. I know I'm behind..  :)

gah! worst of the Harry Potter books! but it does have on of the best scenes with those loveable twins!  ;D

I am currently reading Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb. Can't wait to see what happens to everyone!

Offline Fatal Error

• Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2006, 10:56:10 AM »
I haven't heard of them either - but currently I'm reading The Plague Dogs. I could look it up, but if anyne here knows... do these two feature animal characters?

Offline melora

• The Quiet Storm
  • Planewalker
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2006, 11:19:15 AM »

gah! worst of the Harry Potter books! but it does have on of the best scenes with those loveable twins!  ;D

I am currently reading Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb. Can't wait to see what happens to everyone!

i agree... i still think "Goblet of Fire was the best of the series.

Robin Hobb is terrific !

Offline melora

• The Quiet Storm
  • Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2006, 11:19:59 AM »
I haven't heard of them either - but currently I'm reading The Plague Dogs. I could look it up, but if anyne here knows... do these two feature animal characters?

Shardik is about a bear.... its been so long since i read it, thats really all i remember !

Offline Anacron

• Planewalker
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2006, 03:48:08 PM »
Plague Dogs is also fantastic.  Neither Shardik nor Maia feature animal characters in the same way as Plague Dogs, though Shardik is about a bear... who although never speaks is a large part of the plot.

Offline Riviera

• Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2006, 02:02:58 PM »

He has gotten a lot brattier than I remember him.. Harry, that is.  I guess it's understandable.. he is growing up.. but he's less likable than he was.  :-\

I haven't even gotten halfway through the book though.

And yes, the twins are great!  ;D
NPC favorites:

Xan
Kivan
Solaufein
Tsujatha

Offline HERD

• Planewalker
    • Between the Games
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2006, 04:46:26 AM »
Has anybody heard anything about Lorrie Moore? She was recommenced to me as a modern American writer
(assuming one of the best). I am reading her book right now and wonder if it will get any better.
If you, guys know anybody in modern literature that reminds you of  Faulkner, let me know, please.

Offline clock sendak

• delantero derecho
  • Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2006, 12:41:01 PM »
Reading Dante was one of the most excruciating experiences of my life, almost as bad as studying arabic.  It was a horrible discovery for me, as Pound and Eliot are right at the top of my list.

If i had any freaking time, I would read the new Cormac McCarthy book, and also one about a kid inducted into a death squad in either Nigeria or Uganda, wait, Nigerian author... no, it's gone.

Faulkner-fan might check out Cormac - although he's more like a demented, old testament type of super-violence, cross between hemingway and burgess, but ultimately very good:

Border Trilogy (read out of order starting with The Crossing, All the Pretty Horses, and then Cities of the Plain - which features the best knife fight I've ever read)

No Country for Old Men (soon to be a coen bros movie with Javier Bardem as the best bad guy ever)

and if you like it really violent, Blood Meridian, but I would seriously not recommend it to anyone with a weak stomach for violence.

anybody ever read michael moorcock (what a name)?
Hey yo, I know this dude right.
Carl, he wore tight blue sweats, but wasn't glued too tight.  all he had upstairs was a crude light
you think that's weird, he lived next door to a food fight.

Offline St. Josephine

• PPG
  • Planewalker
  • The Patron Saint of Mediocrity
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2006, 09:44:50 PM »
Has anybody heard anything about Lorrie Moore? She was recommenced to me as a modern American writer
(assuming one of the best). I am reading her book right now and wonder if it will get any better.
If you, guys know anybody in modern literature that reminds you of  Faulkner, let me know, please.

Which one are you reading?  I liked Anagrams but not Who Should Run the Frog Hospital?Like Life was a fairly decent collection of short stories.  I think that's all I've read of hers.

Cailean: An archer NPC for the insatiably nosy!

Despite his heartthrob status in real life, Orlando Bloom has consistently functioned as a node of negative energy onscreen, sucking the life force out of all who surround him. --Dana Stevens, Slate.com

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2006, 11:29:06 AM »
For the past 2 months I am struggling with Erikosn's Memories of Ice. It's not that the book is bad, but it's a damnable dppr-stopper, and he does not have that ability to keep you completely sucked into his book. You know it's kindda good, but you can put it down and go do other stuff. Well, at least that's how it works for me. So I am somewhere around page 270....
Hang in there. I'll try to make you glad you did.
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Three mods you shall make - one too bad and one to dread and one to love.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2006, 11:51:01 AM »
anybody ever read michael moorcock (what a name)?
Yeah... the Elric series is a must-read.  Also the Corum and Count Brass books are pretty good.  Dark stuff for the most part.  He's another prolific writer - hard to keep up with.  What about Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stuff?  Wish he had stuck around to write more of those.

Offline Beetle

• Planewalker
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2006, 01:25:34 PM »
What about Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stuff?  Wish he had stuck around to write more of those.

Those are great stories. Plus, it's always fun to play the "What Mind-Altering Substances Was Fritz Taking When He Wrote This?" game.

I'm currently reading the non-fiction Helen of Troy: Goddess, Princess, Whore by Bettany Hughes. It's an well-written review both of actual bronze age culture and how different societies have chosen to view the character of Helen. Interesting stuff.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline AkashaCatBat

• Loves Glowsticks
  • Planewalker
  • Teh Akasha
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2006, 04:50:35 PM »
I am also reading The Beggar King and the Secret of Happiness by Joel ben Izzy. It's a true story about a man who tells stories for a living and what happens to him when he loses his voice. Every chapter starts with an old folktale. The folktales come from many different cultures and countries, including China, Poland, the Czech Republic and more...many of which I had never heard before.  I'm only about halfway through, but I've really enjoyed what I have read.
"In this world of miracles, there's nothing wrong we can't make right." - Feeling Electric

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2006, 10:22:37 AM »
I've got back into reading Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus series and recently ordered the remaining five from Amazon.  Finished reading Set in Darkness yesterday, just in time for me read Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris, which arrived today.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."