Author Topic: killing Mae'Var  (Read 33364 times)

böhserwolff

killing Mae'Var
« on: October 20, 2006, 04:43:56 AM »
hey
when- after telling aran about Mae'Vars betrayal, I'm supposed to kill him and enter
his guildhouse, some "Arkanis Gath" just appears out of thin air and kills off my party
one hit each. I've tried about everything I could think of but there is no way to kill this
guy before he slaughters the whole party. any ideas?
thanks

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
Re: killing Mae'Var
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 11:24:39 PM »
Arkanis Gath appears if you do something to royally piss off the group of Shadow Thieves that you are currently working for. If you turn any of Aran Linvail's Thieves hostile while you're working for him, Arkanis Gath will appear and murder you. If you attack any of Mae'Var's thieves while you're still pretending to be working for him--that is, when you have not recieved direct orders to kill him--Arkanis Gath will appear and murder you. And note: Those direct orders have to come from Renal Bloodscalp, not Aran.

You probably just did some steps in the wrong order--Reload one of your Savegames that's far enough back, and try again. If you don't have a backup Savegame, well, guess what, this should teach you to make backup Saves. If you're royally screwed, we can tell you how to get around Arkanis--he's practically impossible to kill, but there are ways to neutralize him so you can kill Mae'Var--although I can't guarantee that that's a good idea, because if you try to continue a game where something is messed up, you might get it even MORE messed up.

Shin

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:45:36 PM »

Well.. it's a year later, but I have this exact same problem. And I'm not a novice to this quest, I'm sure I haven't done anything to aggravate the shadow thieves. I installed Quest Pack, went through the guild house quests by the book, in a vanilla fashion (no double-crossing Renal, no telling Rayic about Edwin's plans, certainly not attacking any shadow thieves). Now, I've gone through the questline up to the point where I have the evidence against Mae'var. When I take it to Renal, he gives me the quest to kill Mae'var as usual and I get the exp. Then two seconds after I've talked to him, he and the other shadow thieves go hostile, Arkanis Gath shows up, etc. If I go directly to kill Mae'var that works as it normally would, butthen  when I get back to Renal's building, all the thieves there are hostile too, and Arkanis shows up again.

There may be nothing to do for me at this point but to reload an earlier save, but it should be pretty clear that this is a bug; not a result of accidentally angering the shadow thieves.

Shin

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 08:40:34 AM »

Ok, I found some sort of workaround. It seems the only ways out of this (other than restarting completely) is to use the Shadow Thief improvements part of Quest Pack to either side with Mae'Var, or mention the possibility to him and then insulting him so he attacks you. You can then kill him and go back to Renal, who will be pissed and not give you the guild, but at least not turn hostile. Without Quest Pack installed there's seemingly no way to turn Mae'var hostile to you, so if you attack him before going to Renal with the evidence, it spawns Arkanis.

As far as my amateur analysis of this goes, when you hand Renal the evidence, something triggers that turns Mae'var and his people hostile so you can go kill them. With this mod installed though (probably through its interaction with another mod, as this doesn't seem like a widespread bug), that trigger changes to include all the shadow thieves, including Renal himself, and thus it also spawns Arkanis.

Offline aVENGER

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 10:27:27 AM »

It seems the only ways out of this (other than restarting completely) is to use the Shadow Thief improvements

I don't think this issue is related to Shadow Thief Improvements as that component doesn't alter Mae'Var or his guild in any way.

For the record, STI merely enhances the Shadow Thief opponents which the player encounters when siding with Bodhi and performing her tasks. It also adds a "stealth path" through these tasks which allows the player to bypass 90% of the combat encounters should he desire to. It definitively doesn't change any quests related to Mae'Var, Rayic Gethras nor the Thief Stronghold.

Shin

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 10:35:33 AM »
Hm, maybe we mean different mods. I'm talking about the "Additional Shadow Thieves Content" part of Quest Pack, maybe I expressed it a bit sloppy. You can read about it here, and it certainly does change some aspects of the thief stronghold, as it gives you options like siding with Mae'Var and tricking Edwin to believe you've killed Rayic Gethras.

Be that as it may, I'm fairly convinced this is caused by Quest Pack as a whole, or how it interacts with one or more other mods I have installed. I played through a full game with no problems not long ago, and installing Quest Pack is the only change I have made since then.

Offline aVENGER

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 01:14:06 PM »
Ahh, I was under the impression that you were talking about the Shadow Thief Improvements component of Rogue Rebalancing since you mentioned it by name in your initial post.

Anyway, as stated in another thread, I've personally tested STI and the Quest Pack together several times and found no problems. I've never had any trouble disposing of Mae'Var either.

Offline Capreolus

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 01:49:19 PM »
I have the exact same issue, and I don't have STI (I thought that stood for Sexually Transmitted Illness?) or any other kind of rogue rebalancing installed. I'm still in Chapter 2, and have played the Thieves Guild quest by the book. When Renal Bloodscalp told me it was safe for me to kill Mae'var, I returned to his guild, only to have Arkanis Gath appear from nowhere and stab my entire party to death (death by plot device, how embarrassing). I also had better mention that before this, when I tried to steal from the shopkeeper in Mae'var's Guildhall and got caught, Arkanis was nowhere to be seen, so it appears to just be when you've got to kill Mae'var that he turns up.

Mods installed (in order of installation):
-1: BGII-ThroneofBhaal_Patch_26498_ENGLISH
-2: Ascension-WeiDU-v1.4.23
-3: BG2_Fixpack-v6
-4: UnfinishedBusiness-v14 (only the Kidnapping of Boo quest)
-5: UnfinishedBusiness-v15 (everything else but "Minor Dialogue Restorations")
-6: KelseyNPCv21
-7: KelseyTOBV22
-8: D0QuestPack_v23
-9: BG2_Tweaks-v6

Weidu.log available on request :-). Thanks a lot,

~~Capreolus

Offline aVENGER

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 04:30:45 AM »
I have the exact same issue, and I don't have STI (I thought that stood for Sexually Transmitted Illness?)

Actually, that would be STD but thanks for a good laugh! :)

On topic, as this post once again proves, the issue with Arkanis is not related to Rogue Rebalancing.

Offline Capreolus

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 08:00:55 AM »
Yes, but we still don't know what it *is* related to. As bugs go, having an immortal hasted thief jump out at you with a one-stab-kills-all weapon that seems to be about 15 feet long seems to be a reasonably major one. If nothing else, it's preventing me from finishing the Mae'var quest (no man whose livelihood depends on him being unrecognisable and inconspicuous should wear bright pink trousers), and I want that thief stronghold. Do we know what is at fault here?

~~Capreolus

Offline Dolraith

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 02:56:02 AM »
I think I found a work-around.
I had the version of the bug where you can hang around Renal Bloodscalp all you want, but when you get to Mae'Var himself, Garth spawns and own you.
What worked for me, is to kill Mae'Var with the Ctrl-Y (yes I know this is cheap, but hey, better then stuck getting killed by garth) right as he comes into your line of sight. This must be done *before* he has his little speech about you coming to kill him, but him still having loyal retainers. I also Ctrl-Y'ed the two assassins I could see. Then I ran outta there and reported to bloodscalp, who gave me the big reward. I did not even see the priest of Cyric, either.
If something else happens, I'll edit/post something new.
Hope this helps.

Also of note, is that I don't think I have the rogue rebalance installed. I can post my WeiDo log, but I'd rather not. I've a mega-mega intsall, so it won't be too helpfull. (I think)

Offline Capreolus

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 04:27:11 AM »
It won't work for me, I'm afraid, as Arkanis appears the moment I enter the guildhall (near the shopkeeper who isn't just a shopkeeper). The fact that he pops up at different times for different people may be significant though.

~~Capreolus

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 11:14:26 AM »
As a general FYI, let me remind everyone that Arkanis Gath can be dealt with: Hiw sword, STDEATH, does not kill by causing massive damage, but through use of the Instant Death effect. This means that you don't need Protection from Magical Weapons to survive it, the spell of Death Ward will do just as well, and it's low-level enough that you should have it by this point. Try casting Death Ward on your party member with the most hitpoints, bait Arkanis into attacking that character, lead him to an out-of-the-way spot (behind a door you're never going to need to open again is an especially good spot), and chug a Potion of Invisibility. Arkanis will still score hits like crazy, of course, but a big fat dose of Healing & Regeneration can overcome that.

Of course, good luck doing this while trying to take down Mae'Var and his cronies at the same time. I'm pretty sure Arkanis can't be killed (by any means except INT drain and perhaps Level Drain), but perhaps you can Stun or Hold him. I haven't checked.

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 10:26:13 AM »
Is this problem fixed now? was it a bug?

I'd also like to know if siding with mae'var still allows you to get the thief stronghold?

thanks

Offline tadmeyer

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
For those of you that have been dealing with this bug in the Additional Shadow Thieves Content, I believe I have worked out a way around the problem.

After you have found the evidence of Mae'Var's treachery, when you talk to Renal Bloodscalp and agree to kill Mae'Var, there are several global variables changed. One of these causes Mae'Var's guild to become hostile when you return. The mod somehow has the coding messed up such that this change also causes Renal's guild to become hostile leading to the attack by Arkanis.

Here is how to avoid this:
-  Talk to Renal and agree to kill Mae'Var
-  Immediately after the dialog window closes, pause the game
-  Press CTRL-SPACE to bring up the console (Debug Mode must be enabled in baldur.ini)
-  Type in CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("MAEVAREXPOSED","GLOBAL",0) and press enter.
-  Unpause the game & Renal's guild will now not turn hostile
-  Head over to Mae'Var guild (they will not be hostile when you enter) & attack Mae'Var
-  Mae'Var's guild turns hostile & you can fight them as normal
-  Return to Renal for your reward

I have not tested this with the Thief Stronghold. I hope this works for everyone, so post your results if you try it.

ThomasBecknel

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 04:47:09 AM »
I tried your fix (changing the global variable, etc.), and regret to inform you that it did not work.  I'll let you know if I find out more info.

Offline Jarin

• Wanderer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 02:34:10 PM »
And it did not work for me either.

Rargh!

Offline StarbuckII

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 07:51:14 PM »
As a general FYI, let me remind everyone that Arkanis Gath can be dealt with: Hiw sword, STDEATH, does not kill by causing massive damage, but through use of the Instant Death effect. This means that you don't need Protection from Magical Weapons to survive it, the spell of Death Ward will do just as well, and it's low-level enough that you should have it by this point. Try casting Death Ward on your party member with the most hitpoints, bait Arkanis into attacking that character, lead him to an out-of-the-way spot (behind a door you're never going to need to open again is an especially good spot), and chug a Potion of Invisibility. Arkanis will still score hits like crazy, of course, but a big fat dose of Healing & Regeneration can overcome that.

Of course, good luck doing this while trying to take down Mae'Var and his cronies at the same time. I'm pretty sure Arkanis can't be killed (by any means except INT drain and perhaps Level Drain), but perhaps you can Stun or Hold him. I haven't checked.
I've Hold Person him (it does work), beat him for a hour (randomly he won't target certain characters), and he just won't die!
I finally just avoided the quest for a while and did other stuff.

I hope the next time I do the quest with my new bard he doesn't attack again.

By the way, as a side question: If you help Mae'var, where do you put the fake evidence to frame the guild dude? (I could never figure that out)

Offline nurgles_herald

• Planewalker
  • Valar dohaeris
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 07:33:37 PM »
I know this won't be terribly helpful, but I don't get this problem.  Ever.  Try posting your full WeiDU logs.  It's possible you installed the wrong components for various mods or mods in the wrong order.
"It makes far better sense to reshape ourselves to fit a finite planet than to attempt to reshape the planet to fit our infinite wants."

"Communism failed as an ascetic morality. Capitalism failed because it destroys morality altogether."
--David Orr

http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC27/Orr.htm

Offline StarbuckII

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 07:24:40 PM »
I'm not big on how to post that stuff?
I'm not like majorly computer literate...

Could you explain how one does that?

Offline StarbuckII

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 05:57:23 PM »
I think this is log:
// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Shadows of Amn
~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // Install SOA Banter Accelerator script? (Increases the frequency of interparty banter)
~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Throne of Bhaal
~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // Install TOB Banter Accelerator script? (Increases the frequency of interparty banter)
~DEARNISE/SETUP-DEARNISE.TP2~ #0 #0 // de'Arnise Romance for Baldur's Gate II, v2
~SETUP-KETO.TP2~ #0 #0 // Keto-SOA NPC V2
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // General AI Improvements
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // Creature & Area Improvements -> All Creature & Area Improvements
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Creature & Area Improvements -> All Creature Improvements
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #4 // Alternative Harper/Xzar Plot
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #5 // Extended Reynald Sequence
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #6 // Intrigue In The Copper Coronet
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #7 // Rahul Kanakia's Potion Quest
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #8 // Revised Hell Trials
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #9 // Improved Oasis II -> IO2 Dialogue & Combat Enhancement
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #11 // Saving Sanik In Brynnlaw
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #12 // Burglary Of The Bookkeeper
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #13 // New Fate For The Dryads' Acorns
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #14 // The Tragedy Of Besamen
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #15 // Further Slaver Involvement
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #16 // Sending The Solamnic Knights Home
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #17 // Nazariel The Lich
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #18 // Reward Negotiation
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #19 // Infernal Thievery
~SETUP-VALHORN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Improved Horns of Valhalla v1.2
~ANGELO/SETUP-ANGELO.TP2~ #0 #0 // Angelo NPC MOD for Baldur's Gate II, v3
~ANGELO/SETUP-ANGELO.TP2~ #0 #1 // Angelo's alternative portraits -> Angelo's portrait, edited by SisterVigilante
~SETUP-DUNGEONBEGONE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Dungeon Be Gone V1.6
~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shadows Of Amn Item Upgrades
~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Throne Of Bhaal Item Upgrades
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Aerie Flirt Pack For SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #1 // Aerie/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #2 // Aerie Flirt Pack For TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #3 // Aerie/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #4 // Jaheira Flirt Pack for SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #5 // Jaheira/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #6 // Jaheira Flirt Pack for TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #7 // Jaheira/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #8 // Viconia Flirt Pack for SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #9 // Viconia/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #10 // Viconia Flirt Pack for TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #11 // Viconia/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #12 // Anomen Flirt Pack for SOA
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #13 // Anomen/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #14 // Anomen Flirt Pack for TOB
~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #15 // Anomen/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
~SETUP-SDNPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // Yikari, a monk NPC
~ASSASSINATIONS/SETUP-ASSASSINATIONS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Assassinations mod for Baldur's Gate II, v2
~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #0 // Tower Of Deception Mod (Requires Throne Of Bhaal)
~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #2 // Encounter with Ustrain
~SETUP-ARIENA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ariena the Half-orc (Requires Throne of Bhaal)
~SETUP-ARIENA.TP2~ #0 #1 // Which of Ariena's portraits do you wish to install? -> Default portraits?
~SETUP-ARIENA.TP2~ #0 #4 // Do you wish to install the Grand Mastery Fix?
~SETUP-MINSCKIT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Add berserker kit
~SETUP-MINSCKIT.TP2~ #0 #1 // Berserker Minsc

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
    • Azazello’s Music Profile at Last.fm
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 12:17:25 PM »
StarbuckII, looks like you found your weidu.log.

Several things to comment...

Are you using a fixpack such as Baldurdash? If not, you should use at least one of them.
G3 BG2 Fixpack is best for those new to adding mods, or non-techy types. (Leave Baldurdash, the WeiDU and the original, for the bit-head type of gamer.)

You don't have to install all of the g3Fixpack components; in fact, Don't. But do install at least the first component.

Re-installing mods has a warning that's not stressed enough on all forums: doing so will, most likely, scramble the dialogues and text of your game--specifically if you're using a saved game.

The only way to avoid this problem is to start a new game (using the new installation, of course). Some players don't want to start a new game; if so, there's only 2 choices: (1) don't re-install, live with the existing problems; (2) re-install but use an existing saved game...and live with the scrambled text.

Whatever you decide, if you go with re-install, be sure to start with a Clean Installation (hope this is the preferred link. If not, someone will provide a better link)

Here's my suggested install list, but I honestly don't know many of the mods in your list. Be sure to review the ReadMe's of each mod for compatibility/installation instructions:
G3 BG2 Fixpack
Tower Of Deception
SimDing0's Quest Pack
Banter Pack
NPC Flirts
Keto
Angelo NPC
Yikari
Ariena
de'Arnise Romance for Baldur's Gate II
Assassinations mod
Improved Horns of Valhalla
Item Upgrades
Minsc Kit
Dungeon Be Gone
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls
========================================
"Deception has many faces. Truth...has only one."

morrox

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 12:06:22 PM »
i have been trying various techniques and none was working. Finally i came up with this:

• talk to Renald for the final kill
  • save game
  • add SPRITE_IS_DEADMAEVAR = 1 to the global list with ShadowKeeper
    (or the CLUA command as stated above)
  • talk to Renald again...et voila  :pirate! you will not have the Mae'var treasure. But you can continue ... even better: you can run the guild house as well!

Matthias Wetzel

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 03:50:17 AM »
i have been trying various techniques and none was working. Finally i came up with this:

• talk to Renald for the final kill
  • save game
  • add SPRITE_IS_DEADMAEVAR = 1 to the global list with ShadowKeeper
    (or the CLUA command as stated above)
  • talk to Renald again...et voila  :pirate! you will not have the Mae'var treasure. But you can continue ... even better: you can run the guild house as well!

Didn't work for me. i'm running a BWP-Installation on Expert and ran into the same problems: after talking to Renal and getting the order to kill Mae'Var, all Shadow Thieves including Renal would turn hostile and Arkanis Gath would instakill my main char.

After some testing, I found out that it is some buggy code badly handling the exposure of Mae'Var that is causing the problems. I could verify this by manually CLUAing in
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("MAEVAREXPOSED","GLOBAL",1) before handing the evidence to Renal and Renal and the others turned hostile after two seconds.

This led me to trying the following:
* Hand Renal the evidence and get the order to kill Mae'Var
* Pause game
* CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADMAEVAR","GLOBAL",1)
* Click on Renal to talk to him
* Unpause game
* (Get quest reward for killing Mae'Var)
* Pause game
* CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("MAEVAREXPOSED","GLOBAL",0)
* Unpause game

and no one turned hostile. Ofc it felt a little cheesy getting the free XP for nothing and avoiding the Tactics-beefed Mae'Var, but I really wanted to finish that quest without having Arkanis Gath instakilling me. Hope it helps some others who also run into this problem with their BWP-installation (or any single mods causing this behaviour).

Lars Wilstermann

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 08:37:21 AM »
i'm also running a bwp installation (tactics edition) and faced the same problem like matthias wenzel. setting the global "maevarexposed" to "0" right after the dialog with renal where you get the order to kill maevar seems to be enough to continue this quest line as usual. just provoke mae'var into attacking you and get back to renal for your reward. you'll also get the thief stronghold this way.

according to near infinity the "maevarexposed" set to "1" is only used for a single line in mae'var's dlg (his "proper" final line before you kill him for renal) and in some npc specific dialogs between kova (mod: beyond the law) and renal. so there could be problems with kova's quests when using this workaround.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: