BG1 Completed Mods > BG1Tutu General

EasyTutu: Info, FAQ, Mods, etc.

(1/9) > >>

Macready:
What is EasyTutu?

--- Quote ---EasyTutu is an alternate distribution of Baldur's Gate Tutu which aims for an easy, professional installation and a stable game play experience.  If you find yourself frustrated or confused by the Tutu installation procedure, experiencing game stability problems, or are just looking for a simpler installation, EasyTutu might be for you.

Some of the benefits of EasyTutu:

* EasyTutu installs Tutu using a professional quality, InstallShield-based setup program.  All of the complexities of the Tutu install process are handled for you automatically.
    * EasyTutu installs a stable, mature, tested version of Tutu.  This should help to alleviate the uncertainty that sometimes accompanies using a program that is under constant development.
    * EasyTutu performs a very clean installation, without leaving behind the hundreds of setup-related files found after a traditional Tutu installation.
    * EasyTutu includes a large number of features, bug fixes and add-ons over and above those included with traditional Tutu and Tutufix.
    * All prerequisites for a stable Tutu installation are enforced at install-time.  This makes unexplained game crashes down the road much less likely.
    * Your installations of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are untouched by the EasyTutu installer.  You can still play both of them with EasyTutu installed, and if any Tutu-related problems occur, your original installations are unaffected.
    * Unlike traditional Tutu, EasyTutu is not dependent upon Baldur's Gate 1 and Baldur's Gate 2 being installed after setup is completed.  Both games only need to be installed for the EasyTutu setup process itself.
    * A Tutu shortcut is added to a start menu folder of your choosing (and optionally, to the Windows desktop) during installation.

--- End quote ---

The full details can be found on the main EasyTutu page.

What makes EasyTutu different from regular Tutu?

Aside from the installation-related improvements discussed on the main EasyTutu page, all of what you see in the EasyTutu changelog is exclusive to EasyTutu.

Also, EasyTutu is intended for English language end users only.  Conventional Tutu can accomodate foreign language players to some degree.

I've read all that and I still have questions.

Try the EasyTutu FAQ!

Do I have any way of obtaining completed fixes between major releases?

Why, yes.  Have a look at the EasyTutu "Hotfixes" thread.

Where can I find out about Tutu mods?

The "Optional Add-Ons" section of the EasyTutu page covers mods I've written specifically for EasyTutu.  The "Mods" section discusses mods I've tried and consider stable and indispensable.

Pocket Plane Group (this site) and The Gibberlings Three are the best places to continue your explorations.

I heard that you can play EasyTutu on a Mac these days.

Yes, you can, courtesy of Gorilym.

EDIT: Mac link updated.

Miloch:
There was some discussion on the G3 forum as to whether the Dudleyville fixes and tweaks were relevant to a Tutu/EasyTutu installation.  According to the FAQ, EasyTutu does not incorporate them nor does it apparently have plans to do so.

So the question is, does Tutu include content that makes any of the Dudleyville packs obsolete?  Or have other Tutu mods taken over any of this content.  A couple of minor examples:

1) One of the Dudleyville tweaks makes Khalid a fighter/mage (he is rather weak as a fighter).  He remains a fighter in a generic EasyTutu installation, but the BG2 Tweaks pack apparently makes him a fighter/mage.  Thus this mod makes this particular tweak obsolete.

2) Another tweak modifies a lone hobgoblin so that he initiates dialogue (which was disabled in the original game) and demands healing.  Without the tweak (and in unmodded EasyTutu) he is just another aggressive hobgoblin.  Rather a pointless encounter; the tweak at least makes it marginally less pointless.

A list of the bugs or inconsistencies addressed by the Dudleyville packs and whether they're addressed by Tutu, other mods or are still outstanding would be of benefit to would-be mod developers and playtesters.  According to the Dudleyville site, the material there is no longer being maintained, but people are free to use the content for their own projects or fix-packs without prior permission.

Macready:
Hello -

--- Quote from: Miloch on October 20, 2006, 12:26:17 PM ---According to the FAQ, EasyTutu does not incorporate them nor does it apparently have plans to do so.

--- End quote ---

Correct.

--- Quote ---So the question is, does Tutu include content that makes any of the Dudleyville packs obsolete?

--- End quote ---

I don't know.  I've probably fixed a glitch or two in common with Dudleyville over the past months, but it's not something I try to keep track of.

--- Quote ---A list of the bugs or inconsistencies addressed by the Dudleyville packs and whether they're addressed by Tutu, other mods or are still outstanding would be of benefit to would-be mod developers and playtesters.

--- End quote ---

So make one! :)

The Tutufix readme (core bug fixes) and the EasyTutu changelog (linked in the first post of this thread) pretty much cover what's been addressed thus far.  Core Tutu development is more about fixing bugs than it is about making tweaks, though.  We have Cam for tweaks. :)

Marcis:
Hi Macready

Can I install the "EasyTutu Spawn Randomizer" after :
- Bg1_Tutu_v4.exe
- Tutufix_v17.exe

::)

Macready:
Hello -

--- Quote from: Marcis on January 11, 2007, 06:36:44 PM ---Can I install the "EasyTutu Spawn Randomizer" after :
- Bg1_Tutu_v4.exe
- Tutufix_v17.exe

--- End quote ---

No.  The Spawn Randomizer is an optional add-on specific to EasyTutu.  Conventional Tutu uses an entirely different spawn system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version