Author Topic: Wrong character voices on Mac (Imoen talks Minsc)  (Read 3040 times)

Offline thorix

• Planewalker
Wrong character voices on Mac (Imoen talks Minsc)
« on: August 14, 2006, 07:17:38 AM »
Hello!

I’m playing Baldur’s Gate on Mac OS X 10.4.7 a long time after the first run under 9.x. With BG1Tutu nearly everything works fine, including the Level-1-character patch from tutufix 15. Only …

The voices of my parties characters are twisted. Imoen speaks - after a first encounter with a unknown voice - as Minsc, later she sings Garrick’s song, Montagon has Khalid’s voice. I have
- installed ToSC (full) 1.02 (german) and
- BG2 (recommended),
- updated to 1.1.2
- manually created a link (ln - s /ToSC/Game Data/data /SoA/bg1data), which is required for tutufix / Loriel’s patch
- installed BG1Tutu v4 (Mac)
- applied tutufix v15 (Mac)
- started a new game with a level 1 character. All fine until Imoen.

A forum search showed this thread with exactly the same problem: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=49452516f6cead4eddd45ab2143feb5d&topic=197.50.

The suggested order of installs in 2004 isn’t applicable: either i can’t find the files or these are not Mac-compatible. So what shall i do? I am at home with the Terminal, hexediting is also no problem, so if there is no way out a direct mod of the character file (which?) could be done.

Please help, since Minsc is so talkative (in german, a russian accented bavarian, nearly drunken voice fits well for Minsc).

Hopefully,
thorix

Offline thorix

• Planewalker
Re: Wrong character voices on Mac (Imoen talks Minsc)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 07:06:50 PM »
UPDATE:

I followed the FAQ step by step, though not installing the dialog.tlks (english) for my german game and tutuing manually for a segmentation fault in the Assistant app (caused by the english dialog patches).
After the first conversion a chitin-assertion happened, so i BGBacked and installed again: game running now.
As suggested in the FAQ i played with the shipped fighter, met Imoen and heard Minsc. So did i after tutufixing, now level 1 but still beMinsced.

Where come the bg1data and bg1movies-folders from? BG1Tutu does not install them and i softlinked (ln -s) them from the ToSC-folder to get tutufix working. Can this be a reason?

???
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 10:14:56 AM by thorix »

Offline thorix

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 03:18:16 PM »
SOLVED?

The error occurs already in my “clean” install of ToSC (german), made with the assistant and played in Classic mode. I poked around with IRE, though my primitive idea of replacing the CREATURE.bif and related files didn’t work: sometimes IMOEN.CRE became a rat! So i began from the beginning again.

I made a full install of Baldur’s Gate, played off in Classic (prologue works before saving!), installed the update 1.0.2, the shipped dialog-patch 3.2, the Baldurdash fix: Imoen has her girlish, squeaky voice again!

=> DMG from Folder, to save this state.

Now i did a simple test drive with my faulty ToSC (german): just dragging the game folder to HD and: Imoen gets Minsc. So tutuing ToSC will give similar results.

Since BG1 is the working game, i added the ToSC files to BG instead doing the other way: patched Override, Data, Movies with replace option. Strange things in IRE (rat issue), after transferring CHITIN.KEY same mess as above.

CONCLUSION:
1. I have to complain at my vendor for selling me a faulty copy of ToSC. >:(
2. I will start in BG1 without ToSC. :-\
3. When ToSC eventually works, i will have to find a way converting my saved game to BG1+ToSC. Any idea out there how? ???
4. It’s not Tutu’s fault! :-*

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 05:07:59 PM »
I am way out of my league here, but I know just before he left on vacation The Bigg posted something about the new versions (and perhaps some older versions?) distributed in Europe as BG1 language dependent, then only the US version of TOSC, then language dependent BG2. He was investigating the new DVD distribution in Italian, and found that he had to install the US version of BG1 to match the only-included diistributed TOSC: US.

Sounds like a similar thing has happened here. If so, then I agree about screaming at the company; a temporary workaround is (of course) to either play without TOSC or just switch to the english language version (US, not UK) :(

I could be wrong, but perhaps my post will prompt a more knowledgeable European Mac-based player to chime in?

Offline thorix

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 01:43:33 PM »
Sorry for pushing this up, but for me the problem is finally solved:

Falsche Sprachdatei für Legenden der Schwertküste (Mac, Deutsch): Gelöst
(This one is for german googlers)

The update for ToSC(German) = LdS can be found here:
ftp://81.169.181.31/LegendenUpdater.sit

Posting this link was kindly permitted by the ASH support team. This patch works only for the german version of the add-on.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: