Author Topic: Archived Posts - Viconia Quests  (Read 9801 times)

Offline Elfen Lied

• Der Engel Des Todes
  • Planewalker
    • Diablo3.com
Archived Posts - Viconia Quests
« on: August 31, 2006, 03:29:27 AM »
so you plan to implement some new quests for viconia? cool, i like it, i was rather disappointed she (and Minsc) didnt have any quests in the original unmodded game. my praises to you, i look forward to playing a game and doing these new quests
Gods in His Heaven, Alls right with the World.
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
Vi Veri Venivursum Vivus Vici - By the power of truth, i while living have conquered the Universe

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Re: Viconia Quests
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 04:16:15 PM »
I personally have no plans to add significant new content in the near future, although, of course, that may change. If anyone else wants to write and code something, I'll look it over.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 01:09:47 AM »
It seems a little bit odd that she's being tracked by vengeful servant(s) of Lolth only if you Romance her, so the concept of having her being stalked by a Drow Assassin from another House practically suggests itself. Cue ironic remark from Assassin that praying to a deity of loss and secrecy sure isn't much help when you're trying to avoid a knife in the dark.

Offline Elfen Lied

• Der Engel Des Todes
  • Planewalker
    • Diablo3.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 03:02:00 AM »
yes that idead seems totally plausable

hmm didnt the do'urden house attack the de'vir house at some point, prehaps she could return the favour.

and i forget, its been awhile since ive played with viconia, did her brother die?, i know he appears as a apperation in TOB, but was he dead. if he is dead forget i said anything unless there is some semi ridiculous way to bring him back to live, or if he is alive (and i fairly sure he isnt) prehaps you could find him.

Prehaps she could convince you to join her and follow her diety the spider queen was it?
Vi Veri Venivursum Vivus Vici - By the power of truth, i while living have conquered the Universe

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 07:34:28 AM »
Outside of the scope of UB. :)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Elfen Lied

• Der Engel Des Todes
  • Planewalker
    • Diablo3.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 01:50:11 PM »
right then, was just thinking of ideas

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 04:53:13 PM »
People are free to brainstorm ideas and make all the mods they desire; just be aware that only unfinished business will get into Unfinished Business so it may be a waste of effort posting about it here.

Offline Elfen Lied

• Der Engel Des Todes
  • Planewalker
    • Diablo3.com
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 12:15:52 AM »
ok cool, i just figured you guys would be the people to ask for things like quests for viconia, as the concept of quests for viconia kinda seems like UB material

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 06:25:15 AM »
Only where there is evidence that the developers intended for there to be a particular quest.

(I'm not trying to be annoying; I just don't want people to post lots of good ideas and then get upset when I say they don't belong in UB. I am all for quest mods, but UB is only for UB.)

Offline Elfen Lied

• Der Engel Des Todes
  • Planewalker
    • Diablo3.com
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 02:24:06 PM »
Right, i can see how that would be annoying. but also how could there not have been any plans to make even a single quest for viconia? there were plans for quests for Minsc.

Offline SnowKing

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 04:37:30 AM »
Viconia had two specific quests planned. If someone could write and code them up then as Andyr said he would be happy to include it, but brainstorming ideas isn't really appropraite here, unless it's about her planned quests already. So, to answer your questions she did have plans, they just haven't been done yet.

SK

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 11:36:22 AM »
I believe Bioware's original quest ideas for Viconia have been largely left alone because they're barely fleshed-out, awkward to implement, and kinda lame. You can find threads in this very forum discussing them, including the reasons for just leaving it for now.

If you came up with a really good mod though, I'm sure you'd find an audience for it. Just not as part of UB, like Andyr said.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 12:53:53 PM »
IIRC Viconia's quest was probably dumped as it was considered by the devs a crap idea--something about her contracting lycanthropy, although I think it was considered a bit too much dumping another quirk on a character for no real reason.

Offline Elfen Lied

• Der Engel Des Todes
  • Planewalker
    • Diablo3.com
Viconia Quests, or rather the lack of.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 02:06:16 PM »
i know i asked this once before but probably in the wrong forum.

but i am suprised by the lack of content involving Viconia. sure she has a romance, but so does Jaheira and Aerie and the have quests. uh well aerie' quest is the planar prison thing which you can do without her, but if you is in your party you can take a longer route to accept the quest. ok im rambling back on topic;

a romance, some commentary in the Underdark and getting a geis put on her when you get out ofthe Underdark is that it?

surely there could be something more that could be done.

found my other thread. (some of the ideas raised are wrong and pretty much cannot happen)
http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,23042.0.html

what ae your guys thoughts?

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
Re: Viconia Quests, or rather the lack of.
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 10:52:02 PM »
"Let's dig around the miscellaneous unused files in the game and the old BioWare forums, and see what the designers had planned to do, but never got around to actually doing. Then let's pick up where they left off, and complete the quests/items/NPCs and stick them (back) into the game." -- that's what the Unfinished Business mod is about.

"Let's make up a bunch of new stuff off the top of our heads." -- that's what Quest Pack, and all the other mods out there, are about.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 09:25:45 AM »
There are two Viconia quests that were flagged for UB, but both are unworkable. Viconia's lycanthropy problem has so many logical and consistency problems that it can't be done in any sort of intelligent way, and Viconia's betrayal in the Underdark would come at the expense of, say, every other quest in the Underdark and Ust Natha.
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Elfen Lied

• Der Engel Des Todes
  • Planewalker
    • Diablo3.com
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 11:55:51 AM »
really? unworkable. that sucks.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 11:24:02 PM »
A Viconia betrayal might actually be quite the right thing to do, actually. If the PC is Good, is leading the party so that they have a high Reputation/Virtue, and at the same time hasn't actively Romancing Viconia and/or having some success at turning her towards Good, then why the hell shouldn't she betray them? True, she has little reason to love her Lolth-fearing brethren, but she would certainly set them miles above the pack of rivvil she's currently forced to play along with. True, hardly anyone will value this new "feature" that forces you to roleplay Evil (or at least Neutral) if you want to carry Viconia along, but hey, it'd be nice to have an Evil NPC who actually acts Evil. For novelty's sake, at least.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 01:03:29 AM »
This time I don't agree with SixOfSpades as the betrayal of Viconia would not seem so proper to me as, for once, it would be too similar too Yoshimo's special quest and from another, I like to think she is grateful enough enough for having been saved from sure death back in Peldvale. Also she is at such bad terms with the drow of the underdark that turning us to them seems too illogical as she is nothing but an outcast now with no chance of redemption to their eyes...   :P
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 01:07:48 AM by Salk »

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 02:26:13 AM »
I'd just like to add that Viconia doesn't seemoutrightly evil in the conventional. From the way she reacts to some of the things in-game, her interjections etc, I don't see her betraying the PC just like that.. perhaps giving some unhappy signals along the way, and eventually to betrayal.

That being said, the idea of an NPC quest that destroys the (long-term) usefulness of the NPC hardly seems to be very meaningful.
(http://www.geocities.com/arkevaul/btlbn2.gif)
SoA Release - Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, & more

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 08:32:26 AM »
Viconia: Excuse me, these people aren't drow, they've been magically disguised!

Drow priestess: Hey, thanks. (A horde of spiders sudden scuttles up to the priestess' ear.) What's that you say, little fellas? Lolth said that? Really? (She carefully studies Viconia.) Sure, no problem - I'll schedule her death for tommorow.

Viconia: Wait, *my* death?

Drow priestess: Yeah. It seems you're a heretic.

Viconia: D'oh!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 08:37:03 AM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 11:35:32 AM »
Would Viconia be risking discovery (as a follower of Shar) and therefore death if she reveals that the rest of the party are surfacers? Of course. Would she be at any greater risk than as a member of the adventuring party who's been tearing down every obstacle that's been holding an entire Drow city in check since who-knows-when? If activity like that doesn't provoke Lolth's curiosity, I don't know what would. Also, you're assuming that Viconia just stands in the middle of the Ust Natha Tavern and starts yelling that her traveling companions are surfacers. She'd have to be an idiot to do that--what she would really do is tell the news directly to Ardulace or Phaere, preferably after she's learned of the plot that threatens to betray them to their respective death(s). The Matron of House Despana could arrange a deal: Information in return for Viconia's safe passage, and the rest of Ust Natha need know nothing about it.

I understand the whole spiders-muttering-in-the-ear thing, but according to what's in the game, it's possible to lead a troop of all-Good surfacers through the gate, have them wear brightly-colored, sequined jumpsuits that say "LOOK AT ME" as they slay every challenge in the tavern, then become celebrities for wiping out three successive caverns full of enemy critters, engage in hot wild monkey sex with one of the city's more insightful bigwigs, indulge in some casual Lesser Demon Lord summoning, and finally rampage through the whole city, slaying every man, woman, and child--and throughout the whole thing, Lolth doesn't send so much as a piece of junk mail. So I think it's safe to say that, as far as the game is concerned, Lolth isn't aware of anything except followers of Ghaunadar.

Zyraen: "A quest that destroys the long-term usefulness of an NPC is not useful"--you're quite right. But then, if players knew that they would have to use Viconia correctly if they wanted to use her at all, then that would help encourage proper roleplay, and what's wrong with that? One of my all-time least favorite parties was a guy on Ironworks who said that his current team consisted of Korgan, Viconia, Edwin, and a LAWFUL GOOD Kensai-Mage.

Besides, a Viconia Betrayal quest need not go as far as the actual betrayal--even a simple dialogue that said nothing more than "You will not kill any Drow in the challenge rooms, or I shall leave the party," or "You shall not take any action to disrupt the plan to summon the demon, or I shall inform the Matrons of your true race," or "We shall escape from the city as quickly and quietly as possible, or I shall turn against you," would be a huge improvement over the current setup, in which the party casually stomps all over practically everything Viconia holds dear--and not only does she not raise any objections, but she actually helps. At least when you have Keldorn attack any member of the Radiant Heart, he turns Hostile to you.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2007, 11:57:03 AM »
SixOfSpades, I believe that you are a little understimating the hate that an outcast might have for members of their own race. The dark elves are, in a sense, outcast from the surface elves community and I reckon they would just love to see all the elves dead...

Offline Bookwyrme

• Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 11:25:01 PM »
I do not think that Viconia holds anything or any one in Ust Natha dear.  It isn't her city & none of the houses involved are hers (unless you count the few prisoners).
Stop by my blog over at Bookwyrme's Lair, my collection of reviews, pictures, and general ramblings. I also review comics and books over at FanboyNation.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 11:28:42 PM »
Underestimating a little? Yeah, but only a little. Remember--the Drow are the people with whom Viconia grew up and established her sense of morality. I'm not saying that she and they see eye to eye on things like blood sacrifice, but they do on the vast majority of issues. If Viconia feels empathy and a sense of family (and we know how important familiy is to the Drow) for anybody, it's for her own people. Besides, the bloodfeud between Viconia and the 'loyal' Drow is really Lolth's fault, not the Drows'. I dare say Viconia would find it in her to forgive her brethren for not yet realizing that the goddess they serve so zealously is far too jealous, cruel, and bitter for her own good.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: