Author Topic: Eliminating an Amnish Guard  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Meridan

• Planewalker
Eliminating an Amnish Guard
« on: August 23, 2006, 09:25:21 AM »
Or replacing the guard From AR0709 - Den of the Seven Dales, he has no DV/just a genetic guard "BAMNG02" like most.

Can this be done without creating a new *.ARE? I tried various scripting methods designed to kill him, none worked, id like to stage a cutscene here
with guard/NPC dialogue finally ending in his death (note at this point NPC wont be in the party (Neutral Blue 128)) ?

I've had the NPC turn hostile shouting irenicus lines "you will suffer" billion times before dying in a cutscene loop :D

Ive had NPC pickpocket with See([ANYONE]) then fail with a Gobal, this did work, amusing but messy :)

Also had my new Item which is an updated to BG2 style/Dagger of Venom turn to 7 gold coins, no idea how I resolved this, filename
was originally "7SDAGG" renamed to "SafDag01" worked fine after this

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Re: Eliminating an Amnish Guard
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 10:03:57 AM »
You could assign him a death variable with a WRITE_ASCII in your .tp2, or you could replace him with a new creature (with a death variable) by using REPLACE_TEXTUALLY on the .ARE. Then when they have death variables you can control them as you wish...
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Meridan

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 11:52:32 AM »
In tp2...

COPY_EXISTING ~BAMNG02.CRE~ ~override~
WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~S7guard~

But wouldnt this effect "all guards" with that CRE file in the entire game? unless ive misunderstood the method here.

or you could replace him with a new creature (with a death variable) by using REPLACE_TEXTUALLY on the .ARE. Then when they have death variables you can control them as you wish...

This sounds best, but how? :D

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 01:07:08 PM »
In tp2...

COPY_EXISTING ~BAMNG02.CRE~ ~override~

But wouldnt this effect "all guards" with that CRE file in the entire game? unless ive misunderstood the method here.

Yep.

or you could replace him with a new creature (with a death variable) by using REPLACE_TEXTUALLY on the .ARE. Then when they have death variables you can control them as you wish...

This sounds best, but how? :D

Something like:

COPY_EXISTING ~BAMNG02.CRE~ ~override/myguard.cre~

And then:

COPY_EXISTING ~AR0709.ARE~ ~override~
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~BAMNG02~ ~myguard~
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Meridan

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 02:22:47 PM »
Thanks it works now, that Inn started to look a bit crowded with the NPC spawned there, I had already decided to stage a conflict cutscene before NPC speaks  adding in yet another Actor, dealing with the guard too, this method kills two birds ;)

Considered "Introduction" Areas, Trademeet was too far off, Copper Coronet was too packed, Irenicus Dungeon a pain if DBG was installed
this Inn seems perfect for early Intro/Disagreement-Conflict/Drop off point.

Offline Rabain

• Planewalker
  • Luck o' the Irish!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 02:33:56 PM »
For compatibilities sake is there a problem with just giving the guard cre a DV?  Any changes to a guard (such as killing him) would surely only take place inside the area the change takes place as you would be using a script to affect the change (the area script of the specific area) or does killing a guard with a shared DV have wider consequences for other guards in different area's using the same cre/DV?

I ask because it would be better imo to leave the existing creatures intact in an area for any other modder who may wish to use them.

Touchstone: Wild Elf Fighter
BG2CPM: Dialog Portraits for Everyone!
WTPFamiliars: A new version of the Find Familiar Spell
All at: Border Kingdoms

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 05:00:48 PM »
If the guard's not used anywhere else (which I suspect might be the case) then assigning a death variable to him straight off would be easiest, yeah.

Offline Meridan

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 08:52:45 PM »
This guard serves as an interesting plot device, one of hardest parts of creating an NPC seems to me building up some kind of solid sub-story, his cutscene death isnt for nothing and allows the following actions to occur:

Code: [Select]
BEGIN 7SSafa

IF ~Global("7SSafaAttacks","GLOBAL",2)~ SafNotices
SAY ~Who are you? what are you doing here?~ [NOBLW03]
IF ~~ DO ~SetGlobal("7SSafaAttacks","GLOBAL",3)~ GOTO SafMain
END

IF ~~ SafMain
SAY ~Are you actually speaking to me? A commoner? Oh, I think I might faint.~ [NOBLW04]
++ ~Hey! I recognize you, Safana? a surprise to see you here.~ + SafWhiteLie
++ ~Who are you? Are we supposed to know each other?~ + SafWhiteCont
++ ~Goodbye.~ + SafNobles
END

IF ~~ SafWhiteLie
SAY ~I'm not this "Safana" thee speak of, thou must be mistaken my <LADYLORD>.~
IF ~~ GOTO SafWhiteCont
END

IF ~~ SafWhiteCont
SAY ~I am ummm Carsa, Ah...yes, Carsa! With my ahem "little jar" thou shalt not be takin' a peek at that either, don't even ask.~
+ ~CheckStatLT(Player1,10,WIS)
CheckStatLT(Player1,10,INT)~ + ~Okay, nice meeting you Carsa, we are rather busy so we shall bid you a good <DAYNIGHT>.~ + SafNobles
+ ~Gender(Player1,MALE) CheckStatGT(Player1,16,INT)
CheckStatGT(Player1,17,CHR)~ + ~And My name is Drizzt Do'Urden, once of Menzoberranzan and now of Ten Towns.~ + SafDecepts
+ ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) CheckStatGT(Player1,16,INT)
CheckStatGT(Player1,17,CHR)~ + ~And My name is Catti Brie.~ + SafDecepts
+ ~CheckStatGT(Player1,8,WIS)
CheckStatGT(Player1,15,INT)~ + ~Cease these games. I can see through your simple deception, you are indeed Safana.~ + SafHumours
+ ~CheckStatGT(Player1,9,WIS)~ + ~You will have to try better than that, Carsa's fate was stealed long ago this much I know.~ + SafHumours
++ ~I know this game lady, keep the jar.~ + SafNobles
END

IF ~~ SafNobles
SAY ~Fare thee well, then. I bid you safe travels.~
IF ~~ DO ~EscapeArea()~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ SafDecepts
SAY ~Really? Oh my! this is such an honour, good <SIRMAAM>.~
+ ~Gender(Player1,MALE)~ + ~I'm no more Drizzt than you are Carsa, cease these games Safana, you aren't very good at them.~ + SafHumours
+ ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE)~ + ~I'm no more Catti Brie than you are Carsa, cease these games Safana, you aren't very good at them.~ + SafHumours
END

IF ~~ SafHumours
SAY ~Lost your sense of humour since we last met? Really your so much fun, I should have stuck with Coran.~ [SAFAN22]
++ ~Maybe I could not comprehend your kind of wit.~ + SafShames
++ ~how did you come to be here?~ + SafAmns
END

IF ~~ SafShames
SAY ~What a shame, I was hoping fer.. some witty repartee, but if you insist.~
IF ~~ GOTO SafAmns
END

IF ~~ SafBye
SAY ~(sigh) So be it! if that's the way you want to be, then I guess this is goodbye.~
IF ~~ DO ~EscapeArea()~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ SafAmns
SAY ~I'm here in Athkatla on prearranged business, the rendezvous was to take place at this locale, unfortunately my accomplice never did show up, instead that sentry appeared.~
IF ~~ GOTO SafSentry
END

IF ~~ SafSentry
SAY ~I was adequately prepared, such a predictable turn of events whoever organized this charade shall pay dearly. Now <CHARNAME> perhaps you will answer my previous query Mmm?~
IF ~~ GOTO SafQuery
END

IF ~~ SafQuery
SAY ~Tell me, why are YOU here?~

Work in Progress

Im not a writer or a coder just a player, though im trying to learn both in this project, hopefully ill get this finshed, I dont see that being anytime soon for sure.

Over the last 3 days,
The initial cutscene is done as in it "works" no idea if my coding is solid, also the new CRE lvl 10/Dagger of venom, 0% banters or injections.

After reviewing that later cameo ive choosen to write the Coran quest out completely,  providing only a short cameo appearance, unless someone is working on him, in which case ill apply changes :) but that is a choice far away from the present stage.

Safana provide's a 3rd option (Yoshi/Jan) for theive's out of irenicus dungeon with possible alignment shift to EVIL/Corruption.
She has most points in "locks/findtraps/Stealth/move silently" skill wise a mold of imoen/yoshi...  her lock skill is 100, pretty bad set-trap wise.

Weapons: Dagger, Shortsword, Crossbow, one weapon style.

Class: she will stay as a pure thief, may add KIT options later but certainly no T/M.

Personality: sarcastic, selfish, similar to a non-drow Viconia - hopefully i've got this right.

Quests: one is planned in brynnaw - Pirate past, alot more for TOB to keep it interesting.

Given the intial scene im looking forward to dealing with Keldorn vs Safana dialogue ;D

EDIT: Code updated with the removal of the murder plot, I decided to inject more fun into it rather than a serious murder plot that it was.
As above still a W.I.P The Paladin line's need ammending as does initial Join Party dialogue, Guard will be CE aligned.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 08:44:10 AM by Meridan »

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 03:57:27 AM »
Interesting work. There are apostrophes missing from "don't" in a few places but otherwise it looks ok.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: