Author Topic: Shandalar the Slain  (Read 988 times)

Offline Joe

• Planewalker
Shandalar the Slain
« on: August 16, 2006, 05:52:41 AM »
(Also posted on Iron Works)

Yeah, yeah, I know plenty of people have done it before with barrages of cloudkill spells or magic missiles.

I'm pretty sure my way was a little different from others previously mentioned:

So looking at Shandalar's resistances, he is immune to natural and magical elemental attacks and highly resistance to physical damage. His saves are not all that great, however, and he has no resistance to magic.

Seeing that he was saving against most of my magical attacks, I decided that the easiest way to get an advantage over the nigh-invulnerable mage was to rapidly drop his saves to ridiculously low levels. The first spell he casts is minor globe of invulnerability, so we have to do this in less than 15 seconds or so.

Before attacking Shandalar, I had my two priests cast doom on him simultaneously; this will turn his circle red, allowing my fighter/mage to cast greater malison. During this time, Imoen and my two fighters are trying to hit him (Imoen with a wand of missiles), doing what little damage they can.

I have both of my priests again cast doom simultaneously, and then have my fighter use Algernon's cloak to charm Shandalar. Now, afte four doom spells and a casting of greater malison, this should be done easily enough. I make Shandalar walk a few steps to disrupt his spell while I direct the priests to again doom him and my fighter to charm him again before he can make another attempt at his protection spell.

My fighter/mage is at this point alternating between magic missile and different wands. I did try an emotion: fear scroll, but that was ineffective; eventually a wand of fear made him panic, and Shandalar was running around vulnerable as all heck. No need to charm him anymore. Eventually a wand of paralyzation took effect and my party pounded him until his inevitable death.

My fighter/mage did the most damage with eight magic missiles (I believe he is level five or six), but if Shandalar got his shield up, he never would have connected with all of them.

Now you might say to yourself, "What a cheesy way to win, especially attacking him while he was blue!" Well, my dear fellows, would you walk up to a powerful mage who has all but threatened your life and tell him you were about to end his? Not if you're pragmatic!

My moral justification is thus: When asked what the reward would be for helping him, Shandalar tells us, "your life and whatever you scourge." This says that until I "help" him, my life is not my own and he may kill me if I refuse to get his cloak. I'd rather not worry about a powerful mage stalking me on my adventures, so I stuck my sword in his fat mouth.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: