Author Topic: Compatability of IU v33  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Chev

• Knight of the Realms
  • Planewalker
  • Knight of Night
Compatability of IU v33
« on: August 07, 2006, 02:50:36 AM »
Cromwell and Cespenar dialogues no longer replace critical states, making it much easier for other mods to interact with IU

Would this make IU compatabile with Improved Anvil, if IU is installed after?  I know Sikret thinks of his mod as a replacement for IU, but I might want 1 upgrade from IU and a differnt item upgraded from IA.  I know this would mean choices (as they often use the same items), but that is part of the game.
I Ride for the King!        a.k.a. Chevalier

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
Re: Compatability of IU v33
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 02:12:08 PM »
Sorry, I missed this post entirely. :(

Yes, I believe they should work together dandy if IU is installed after Anvil.
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 02:47:16 PM »
They might work together just dandy, but the required fixpacks do not.

IA requires BD fixpack. I'm not going to get into editorial comment here. It's Sikret's choice. 

But the fact of the matter is that many of the people who want IU want G3 Fix, and that's the facts.

I've seen the incompatibility of installing both BD fixpack and G3 fixpack firsthand, and I did not appreciate the results. Banters don't happen. LTs don't happen, lots of stuff that is supposed to happen doesn't, but unfortunate CTDs *do* happen, with startling regularity. The fixpacks just don't get along.

I wish there was a way to convince people that G3 Fix is the way to go, but I'm not optimistic.

It still looks like we're going to have to choose between IA and IU, and I hate that.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 04:56:40 PM »
There's a growing trend for authors of IE mods to state that another IE mod is 'required' or 'must be installed', when the reality is that their mod simply hasn't been tested without that other mod installed.  What they should in fact say is something along the lines of "this mod was made with Baldurdash installed, and has not been tested on a non-Baldurdash installation.  We therefore recommend that you install Baldurdash prior to installing our mod.  However, since we cannot say for certain that our mod will not work on a non-Baldurdash game, there is a chance that it will be fine without it.  While we will not provide technical support to players running our mod on a non-Baldurdash installation and have no plans to alter our mod to make it compatible if it not, we are interested in learning whether or not it works - so please, let us know!"

EDIT: If, on the other hand, an author knows 100% for certain that their mod requires the installation of another, he or she should clearly state the precise reason(s) why this is the case in the mod's readme.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 05:36:55 PM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: