Author Topic: "Media removed" error after killing Teyngan (near Drizzt)  (Read 6047 times)

Shaddy

"Media removed" error after killing Teyngan (near Drizzt)
« on: August 03, 2006, 02:02:28 AM »
It tells me insert CD 1.  I'm using the DVD's.  I've tried it with BG DVD and DG2 DVD's in the drive to no avail.  I haven't mod'd any ini's yet because I didn't see a similar enough problem to imitate its solution.

I have BG 1 and 2 installed, no expansions.  Any hints on this?  I can try to just avoid that fight, so far that's the only place I know of that does that.  But i don't want to get more hours onto it if I have to go back and start over down the line.

Thanks
Shaddy

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Re: "Media removed" error after killing Teyngan (near Drizzt)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 08:04:59 AM »
Hello -

It tells me insert CD 1.  I'm using the DVD's.  I've tried it with BG DVD and DG2 DVD's in the drive to no avail.  I haven't mod'd any ini's yet because I didn't see a similar enough problem to imitate its solution.

I have BG 1 and 2 installed, no expansions.  Any hints on this?  I can try to just avoid that fight, so far that's the only place I know of that does that.  But i don't want to get more hours onto it if I have to go back and start over down the line.

Thanks
Shaddy

No idea.  It would definitely be the BG2 media that was desired, though.  It should be looking for the same one which it demands in the drive at the point of launching the program.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Shaddy

Re: "Media removed" error after killing Teyngan (near Drizzt)(Still!)
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 12:49:31 AM »
ugh.  This time i uninstalled everything.  loaded BG1 (no expansion) then BG2 (with ToB) then downloaded BG2 patchs, then installed the proper TuTu.  I liked some things better (when in map mode, you see green circles move).

SAME THING.  I kill Teyngan and it says Media Removed (only this time i get a blue screen instead of a popup).  could i have a bad copy? 

Not sure what i can try, any hints?

Lyrrad

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 07:55:34 AM »
I'm having exactly the same problem  ???

"Baldur's Gate Error: Media removed from Drive.
Please Insert Baldur's Gate CD-1 into CDRom Drive"

This message appears when:
1 - Killing Teyngan
2 - When trying to knock out Algernon in Feldeposts Inn.

I have tried placing all 4 BG2 cd's into the drive but to no avail.  I have to shut down then restart BGT.

Easytutu
BG1 (5 Disk) + Patch
BG2 SoA + Patch
Degreenifier
BG1NPC banter pack

Any ideas chaps?
Great work with EasyTutu so far.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 08:41:58 AM »
Hello -

When I get some time, I'll try to recreate this problem here.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 10:20:58 AM »
Hello -

Easytutu
BG1 (5 Disk) + Patch
BG2 SoA + Patch
Degreenifier
BG1NPC banter pack

Any ideas chaps?

I CLUA'ed over to Teyngan's map using my SoA-only installation of EasyTutu, and killed him without issue.  So, no luck in recreating the problem.

I notice you said you are using the original 5 CD BG1, with no mention of TotSC.  Did you perform a TotSC-less installation of EasyTutu?  If so, how has it been performing aside from this issue?  I'll try to find some time to do a no-TotSC installation in order to test for this issue in that environment.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 11:00:24 AM »
Hello -

Sadly for me, this is now a confirmed bug in EasyTutu-sans-TotSC.  I was able to duplicate it consistently.  Specifically, this issue will occur upon striking Tenygan -- entering the fight with him, being struck by him, and CTRL-Y'ing him for an instakill all work fine.  Successfully hitting him with an axe crashed the game with the media error immediately.

ugh.  This time i uninstalled everything.  loaded BG1 (no expansion) then BG2 (with ToB) then downloaded BG2 patchs, then installed the proper TuTu.

By "proper Tutu," do you mean to say regular Tutu 4?  I am looking to discover if this issue is unique to no-TotSC EasyTutu, or if it affects all/many Tutu installations which lack the expansion (even conventional Tutu ones).

As of yet I have no hypothesis or explanation, as I haven't had time to investigate the issue aside from confirming it exists.  I'll report back once I have time to research the cause.  In the meantime, I would very much appreciate it if you'd take the time to post any and every instance of this happening to you in-game (so far Algernon and Tenygan are on my list).  Thanks.

Lyrrad

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 11:14:02 AM »
Macready, I have installed the original UK BG1 (5 CD's) but DO NOT have the Tales of the Sword Coast upgrade. The EasyTutu installshield noted that ToTSC was missing and installed appropriately.

I have tried several times to kill Teyngan, and each time I get the error.  I also tried to knock out Algernon, and as the winning blow strikes, I receive the same error.  Once again I re-loaded it several times and got the same result.

If it helps, I had Kagain in my party, who was using an axe against Teyngan, although I was using a fist against Algernon - so to speak.

I'm no programmer, but could it be anything to do with a sound file?  Maybe ToTSC added/renamed a sound file, which isn't part of the original BG1?

As an aside, I have just gone out and purchased the 'Baldur's Gate 4 in 1 box set' - A 4 DVD multipack with BG1 / ToTSC / BG2 SoA / BG2 ToB.  Do you know if EasyTutu has been tested with this?  I'll give it a whirl later on and see how it fares!

Thanks for the help so far.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 11:22:21 AM »
Hello -

Macready, I have installed the original UK BG1 (5 CD's) but DO NOT have the Tales of the Sword Coast upgrade. The EasyTutu installshield noted that ToTSC was missing and installed appropriately.

I'm happy to hear it.  I've been having trouble getting confirmation that no-TotSC support is working.

I have tried several times to kill Teyngan, and each time I get the error.  I also tried to knock out Algernon, and as the winning blow strikes, I receive the same error.  Once again I re-loaded it several times and got the same result.

If it helps, I had Kagain in my party, who was using an axe against Teyngan, although I was using a fist against Algernon - so to speak.

I'm no programmer, but could it be anything to do with a sound file?  Maybe ToTSC added/renamed a sound file, which isn't part of the original BG1?

I suspect you are on the right track in your thinking.  Something about striking / killing certain opponents brings out the issue.  I'll pore over their CREs when I have time to work on it (most likely tonight at the very earliest).

As an aside, I have just gone out and purchased the 'Baldur's Gate 4 in 1 box set' - A 4 DVD multipack with BG1 / ToTSC / BG2 SoA / BG2 ToB.  Do you know if EasyTutu has been tested with this?  I'll give it a whirl later on and see how it fares!

I'm not sure.  So long as the publisher hasn't mucked about with the game resource files it should work fine.  Please do NOT try to convert your installation if you have any intention of preserving your existing savegame -- you should only feel free to recreate your installation if it is your intention to start a new game (or if you create a second, separate EasyTutu installation for it).

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »
Hello -

I've confirmed that both _TEYNGA.CRE and _ALGERN.CRE (Teyngan and Algernon, respectively) have two soundset elements in common, one of which is located in MPSounds.bif, a TotSC-only resource file missing from no-TotSC BG1 installations (and therefore, missing from no-TotSC EasyTutu installations as well).  For now, you may place the following file in your EasyTutu override folder in order to address the issue:

_VILLM05.WAV

That should sort you out for now, and I'll have this fixed in the next release of EasyTutu.  If after putting this file into play you experience any more problems like this, please do post again with the name of the troublesome creature.

Offline Lyrrad

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 02:44:39 PM »
Thanks for that, problem solved!  ;D

Shaddy

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 12:42:45 AM »
Wow, don't check back for a couple days and see what happens?  You fix it.  It was also an issue with Narcillicus Harwilliger Neen.  When I used the dialog to let him go things were fine, but attack him and it would crash.  but since I added the wav that you posted, it's OK.

Yes, I am without the TotSC expansion. 

THANKS!!!!

Shaddy

steef

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 04:40:36 AM »
well i have the exact same problem but only it happens after the cutscene where sarevok kills gorion
just before you should hear imoen say: heya
the screen just turns blue and says media removed from drive
insert baldur's gate disc 1

and well i placed the soundfile you gave them in the override folder but that didn't help
so i'm kinda stuck and would appreciate any help you guys could offer
thanks in advance

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 05:29:02 PM »
well i have the exact same problem but only it happens after the cutscene where sarevok kills gorion
just before you should hear imoen say: heya
the screen just turns blue and says media removed from drive
insert baldur's gate disc 1

and well i placed the soundfile you gave them in the override folder but that didn't help
so i'm kinda stuck and would appreciate any help you guys could offer
thanks in advance

You aren't actually having the exact same problem.

Are you using Tutu or EasyTutu?

Offline Tekee

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 05:28:52 PM »
Ok I festered for this problem for a long time too but it is becuase I had a bad disk, seems ok, but if you get this then it is becuase it did not like your disk :(((
So so sad but that is becuase Baldurs Gate is such a huge game that needs every piece of space on a disk.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: