Author Topic: PC Custom portraits not sticking  (Read 3918 times)

addhum

PC Custom portraits not sticking
« on: July 27, 2006, 02:11:01 AM »
I:m having trouble importing custom portraits for PCs in EasyTutu.
My installation is clean, as follows:
1. BG1 + tosc + official patches
2. bg2 + tob + official patches
3. easy tutu + degreenifier

If I only save the portraits in my Tutu's /portraits/ directory, and try to select them in Tutu's character generator, it detects them and they are selectable, but after being selected, they don't show up. I get the "quesiton mark" image instead.

While playing around with this, I discovered that if I:
1. save the portrait in both BG1's *and* Tutu's portraits directory
2. load the original BG1, create the new character there, and use the custom portrait from the BG1's directory
3. cancel out of the BG1 character screen, and close BG1
4. load up Tutu, make a new character, select the portrait from Tutu's directory

it works like it should... ???

Anyone have an idea on this? Or an easier method?

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
Re: PC Custom portraits not sticking
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 05:10:19 AM »
OK, I admit this is a cheap and dirty way to change NPC portraits, but it works.

Get yourself Shadow Keeper. Resist the urge to give yourself an extra million XP and stats of the gods, it would only make the game less fun.

Under settings, change the Installation Directory to your BG1 Tutu installation directory. SK is designed for SoA, but as Tutu uses the BG2 engine, it will work if you manually change the directory.

Move the portraits you want to the BG1 Tutu folder "portraits." Make sure they have unique names, or you might overwrite something already there.

Using SK, open a saved game. Scroll through the party slots using the slider under the pc's portrait. When you get to the NPC whose portrait you want to change, click the "Change Portrait" button, and select the portrait you want from the list. Don't forget to change your thumbnail as well. That's the one you will see for most of the game, anyway, so you want that to be something you like looking at.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 07:56:07 AM »
Hello -

it detects them and they are selectable, but after being selected, they don't show up. I get the "quesiton mark" image instead.

I believe the question mark is a sign that your portraits do not conform to the exact size specifications (and/or file format) required by the BG2 engine.  Remember that you are playing with the BG2 engine, so you need portraits designed to work with BG2.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

addhum

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 12:11:35 AM »
BGHead: I'm not wanting to change NPCs, but PCs. It shouldn't require an external program, as its already programmed into BG2.

Macready: The portraits are properly proportioned. I used the portraits on another computer with the exact same installation and it worked. The only difference is that on the problematic computer, I had already uninstalled the original BG1. The computer where the portraits work has the original BG1 uninstalled.

Would the presence of an original BG1 install affect how Tutu handles portraits?

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 05:52:52 AM »
It has not affected the performance of BG1 on my computer. AFAIK, once you are done with the installation process, your original BG1 installation is cloned in the BG1 Tutu folder, so you can ditch the vanilla version if you choose.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 08:22:19 AM »
Hello -

Would the presence of an original BG1 install affect how Tutu handles portraits?

No.  And the whole topic of custom portraits is an engine issue, not a Tutu issue.

If you like, you can select one of the problematic portraits and email it to me to see what kind of luck I have with it.  If interested, register a PPG account and I'll PM you my email address.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

addhum

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 10:12:17 PM »
BGHead: That was my point exactly. I have two computers with the same installation of Tutu.

PC1 = BG1 vanilla uninstalled...portraits work like they should in Tutu
PC2 = BG1 vanilla still present...portraits are required to be present in both the vanilla AND tutu /portraits/ directory in order to show up in Tutu, otherwise they give question marks.

Macready: The portraits are not problematic. I have sent them to other LAN members (again, they have removed BG1 vanilla from their system) and the portraits work like they should. Also I can get them to work on my system, but only by using the method I have described.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 03:00:36 AM »
How strange. Personally, I have not yet deleted vanilla BG1 because of 1) laziness, 2) paranoia that I will inadvertantly mess up my installation and have to do the Tutu conversion again, and 3) no pressing need to recover the HD space.

I don't have any extra portraits in BG1, have tons in Tutu, and it works.

Sorry. I could not duplicate you problem.

Say, I just had a flash of insight. Hope the following makes sense. Are you playing in multiplayer mode, using the vanilla-less computer as the host and the other computer (with the vanilla version still on the drive) as the slave? Are you using shared files? If you are, are you expecting both computers to share the files on the host computer, specifically the portrait folder? They will not do this. Every portrait needs to be installed on both computers or you get a question mark.

Apologies if I'm stating something you already knew.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: