Author Topic: AoE and BG2 Fixpack Anomen problem  (Read 14054 times)

Offline Margrave

• Planewalker
AoE and BG2 Fixpack Anomen problem
« on: July 10, 2006, 01:46:19 PM »
Grey,

From the G3 boards it seems that there is a problem with the Anomen proficiency component and the new Fixpack.  I'm told that in AoE the sling in Anomen's inventory is swapped with a crossbow.  For scripting reasons, and assuming AoE isn't installed, they put the sling into a quick slot, which if it is a crossbow leads to a 2 handed weapon and a shield being equiped leading to a CTD.  Cam gave a workaround using shadowkeeper but suggests the eventual fix will have to be an update to AoE that adds a crossbow to Anomen while leaving the sling in inventory.  Is there any chance this will be on a to do list in the near future?

Cheers

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
Re: AoE and BG2 Fixpack Anomen problem
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 11:17:12 PM »
Uh, not really, since I don't really see the "Moving A Sling From Anomen's Inventory To Weapon Quick-Slot" component of the mod to be worth accomodating.

For scripting reasons... they put the sling into a quick slot...
Unless maybe I knew what these scripting reasons were.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 04:46:27 AM »
Uh, not really, since I don't really see the "Moving A Sling From Anomen's Inventory To Weapon Quick-Slot" component of the mod to be worth accomodating.

For scripting reasons... they put the sling into a quick slot...
Unless maybe I knew what these scripting reasons were.

Well it was just an obvious fix really.  The character starts with two weapons, both of which are 1-handed, so it makes sense for them to be in the character's weapon slots.

Edit: Also, this fix is in the Core Fixes component, so it's not an optional thing (assuming you want a nice less buggy version of BG2).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 05:31:09 AM by Grim Squeaker »
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 05:24:23 PM »
That seems silly to me, but you're in luck. Someone just did a Polish translation for AoE, so I have an excuse to update it. I'll add this, too (even though it's silly, as I think I've mentioned before.)
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 05:52:20 PM »
Excellent.

I was avoiding installing the new Fixpack because I didn't want to have to go through all that business with SK, moving items. Anytime I try to edit cre files with SK, I invariably do something wrong. It's just my luck.

If you're going to move the sling back to inventory, it's worth doing another installation.

I know you think it's silly. I respectfully disagree.

Glad you have a suitable reason to update the Fixpack.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 10:26:29 PM »
please can i quote you on mod raves an reviews page thank you.

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 12:30:49 AM »
What?
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 12:33:26 AM »
usually have to i pay for such endorsement. i ask for free to use

It was either this, or my original quote last night that would have been "Sounds like praise to me!" or something.

In other words... a joke. In theory, it would have been a request to use your quote on a player review/praise page for the fixpack website.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 12:35:57 AM by devSin »

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 12:47:23 AM »
Oh, I thought there was a "Mod Raves and Reviews" page somewhere that you were mocking. Or maybe there is and you are and I'm still not getting it.

But I think I am.

And yes, feel free to put the comment up on a "What people said about this mod" page. If it exists, or will exist. If not, then no worries.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 12:55:40 AM »
Worry not. I don't have the authority nor the inclination.

It was just one of the few comments offsite I'd read about the fixpack; the cynic in me though "not worth accommodating" about sums it up. ;-)

Offline Margrave

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 12:29:43 PM »
Thanks Ghrey,

Silly or not it is just one of those things where one of the mod makers would have to accomodate the other for the good of everyone.  With the change, which I think I mentioned only needs to be adding a crossbow to the inventory and leaving the sling alone, people can enjoy both mods.  Even if Anomen ends up with a sling he has no proficiency in it is worth at most 1GP so it shouldn't be a big deal. 

Personally I don't think it is silly as any compatibility issue that is guaranteed to cause CTD's is a major hassle.  It left people with either fiddling with SK or not installing the Anomen proficiencies from AoE.

thanks again

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 02:46:52 PM »
the cynic in me though "not worth accommodating" about sums it up. ;-)

Hey, don't get me wrong. I want the fixpack to wind up alpha and omega and all that, but this doesn't even strike me as a fix. Maybe Anomen just picked up his sling and hadn't bothered putting it in his belt or wherever? The sling isn't broken, the .cre isn't broken, and the player just has to click and drag once for things to be righted. I don't see it as a bug, just a tidying job. Why *I* should have to accomodate that is beyond me. But since Cam wrote the code, I was happy to put it in. Now I just need the translation to show up.

Silly or not it is just one of those things where one of the mod makers would have to accomodate the other for the good of everyone.
That's an interesting argument to bring up. I'd like every mod out there to be compatible, but the question is: who accomodates who? AoE's been available for download for quite a long time, and it's probably quite obvious that I'm not actively updating it. So who should be the one to make accomodations and sacrifices in the name of compatibility?

With the change, which I think I mentioned only needs to be adding a crossbow to the inventory and leaving the sling alone, people can enjoy both mods.
Yet without the change, which wouldn't necessitate any change from either mod, people can enjoy both mods.

Personally I don't think it is silly as any compatibility issue that is guaranteed to cause CTD's is a major hassle.  It left people with either fiddling with SK or not installing the Anomen proficiencies from AoE.
I didn't say compatibility or CTD issues were silly. I said moving a sling from inventory to quick-weapon slot is silly. Especially if it results in a CTD with another mod.

This is all moot, of course, since AoE and the fixpack will be compatible shortly. I just don't want anyone to think that writing a mod such that it fucks over another mod (to large or insignificant extent, the latter being the case here) is cool with me. Think about it.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Margrave

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 05:29:13 PM »
Ghrey,

I agree with you and I was just thanking you for being cool about things.  I lobbied for the fixpack to be the ones to change before I even brought it up here knowing you weren't actively updating.  And to blow some more smoke up your ass ;), the pit fighter kit from AoE has definitely become my favorite fighter kit, especially to dual to mage.

cheers

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 06:58:19 PM »
Ghreyfain, all I can say is thanks.

I love AoE. I love it so much that I refuse to install the other mod because it will mess up AoE.

You're going to really enhance my BG2 experience if I can play with both. I still won't go as far as ToB without Xan, but I can at least enjoy SoA more.

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 08:04:45 PM »
I still don't have the Polish translation, so I'll try to remember to upload the newest version tomorrow morning, since y'all seem so eager to have it. :)
Earn Money Sleeping.

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 09:22:26 PM »
If you are going to do a new version, could you possibly fix spear descriptions and change Aerie's profs so that she's strong enough to use the weapons she's proficient with?

Offline yarpen

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 02:45:35 PM »
Hey I've sent you that two weeks ago!  >:(

Hmm... okay, I will send again.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: