Author Topic: What do you think is the easiest tutorial to understand on scripting and such?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline vociferate

• Planewalker
I really want to get into modding, and am (in my oppinion) doing a pretty good job of it so far.  I have messed around with making npc's and items and stores and such.  Havn't tried area's yet, and havn't tried adanced scripting outside of simple dialogue stuff.

I really would like a big long list of scripts and the explanations of what they do so that I can begin copy/pasting a plot together (this is the only way I seem to learn... it is easier for me to just copy it and figit with it then.)  for instance, one of the scripts I will need will, if certain conditions are met, transport the party to another area.  another will need to "respawn" some creatures about 4-5 times (to look as if they are comming up deck from below.. on a ship) 

Now I know you guys could probably just write out what I need--but I would rather have a recourse I could look back at all the time.  I know I have seen some good ones out there--So all I am really asking, is what do you reccomend I take a look at: and how steep do you believe the learning curve is at this point?

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Much of what you describe already occurs in the core game, so you could start by looking at the existing scripts to see how they handle it and adapt the code to your purposes.

I wouldn't call what you're trying to do difficult, but everybody learns differently.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline vociferate

• Planewalker
thanks jcompton :) you are all over the place answering my questions.  So what you are saying is just open up a .d of say that area in the underdark where elements respawn, and look for the script that causes it... then mimic that?

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Look at the area script associated with the areas where you tend to see such things happening, as well as the DLG files for the associated characters, yes (as often spawning/moving-around activity is either called directly from DLG actions, or launched as a cutscene from a DLG.)
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: