Author Topic: Adding Races  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Fyorl

• Planewalker
Adding Races
« on: May 23, 2006, 12:51:13 PM »
I haven't seen any tutorials on adding new races so I'd assume it was either impossible with IE limitations or extremely hard and not worth it. Is there any way you can change the name of the race that appears in the character record sheet. I tried appending Races.ids and then using NI to assign the new race but it just gives a blank on the character record sheet. Do I need to use a strref? And if so, where would I put the strref?

Thanks

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Re: Adding Races
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 01:30:13 PM »
You cannot add new races but you can simulate them as detailed in this tutorial. Of course, you do not need to use a potion. A dialogue where the player can choose between a number of options and then have the DLG cast the spell would be just as effective.

http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/%7Echevar/tutor/indexac69.html?page=opentut&tutID=11

-Echon

Offline Fyorl

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 05:33:00 PM »
Thanks, I'm just wondering if that 'change title' effect would be the one that changes the race name on the character record sheet? Also, as I'm using linux, I don't have access to IEEE or any other spell editors that I know of. I can just barely use DLTCEP but it's pretty unstable and usually crashes when trying to open external files. I can use ShadowKeeper fine unless I want to open a save game (which I don't) and NearInfinity is also completely useable as java is cross-platform.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 05:45:12 PM »
Nevermind the old editors. Near Infinity and DLTCEP is all you need.

-Echon

Offline Fyorl

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 06:28:40 PM »
ah ok, thanks again

Offline Avenger_teambg

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 01:53:09 AM »
Thanks, I'm just wondering if that 'change title' effect would be the one that changes the race name on the character record sheet? Also, as I'm using linux, I don't have access to IEEE or any other spell editors that I know of. I can just barely use DLTCEP but it's pretty unstable and usually crashes when trying to open external files. I can use ShadowKeeper fine unless I want to open a save game (which I don't) and NearInfinity is also completely useable as java is cross-platform.

Heh???
I suppose when you say crashes it means it terminates unexpectedly.
Hmm, you say linux, well, blame Wine. I use dltcep on linux too, but i agree that Wine support still lacks a lot.
NI works on Linux fairly well.

Offline Fyorl

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 04:45:09 AM »

Heh???
I suppose when you say crashes it means it terminates unexpectedly.
Hmm, you say linux, well, blame Wine. I use dltcep on linux too, but i agree that Wine support still lacks a lot.
NI works on Linux fairly well.

Yup, most of the time when I try to open an external file, it terminates and console outputs 'Unhandled Exception' so it probably is Wine (or Cedega which is what I actually use).

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: