Author Topic: Bug Reports v1.05  (Read 15265 times)

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Bug Reports v1.05
« on: May 02, 2006, 05:20:36 PM »
n/t

-Echon

Well?

Re: Bug Reports v1.05
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 01:20:13 AM »
* the boxes up the top of the Red Sheaf seemed to be more messed up than ever, lol. Almost to the point where you cannot get back down the stairs due to one of them crossing over it.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 04:06:10 AM »
Wonderful! This was what I intended to fix but it looks like it only got worse.

-Echon

Well?

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 07:49:20 AM »
btw, the invisible items seem to be one of the random treasures ~as a second time through the same areas gave different items. so it should be easy to find and fix. If you take an invisible item to the store it display's alot of random text in the store window.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 08:06:04 AM »
Yes, I am aware of how the blank items are generated. I still have not decided what to do with them.

-Echon

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 10:21:28 AM »
Echon,

is it possible that FotD has overwritten ACTION.IDS so that FadeFromColor and FadeToColor now set incorrect parameters ? I am an ignorant but it was enough to take away the space after "," to make it work.

I used my instinct since I know nothing of modding... :P

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 11:02:27 AM »
FotD does overwrite ACTION.IDS as I have restored three entries to it. A quick comparison shows that the blank space after the , is also found in normal BG:TotSC, though, but I will still remove it. Exactly what difference does it make to the actions?

-Echon

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 01:40:52 PM »
NI reports a "too few parameters" error when trying to FadeTo and From Color...I can't know what the direct consequence in the game would be though as the script kicking it belongs to BG1: In Candlelight which I didn't start yet...

Offline Chris

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 08:36:03 AM »
Hi, I'm still playing through FotD and very much enjoying it :)

However, something odd that I have noticed that I thought I ought to draw to your attention is that after speaking to Gorpel Hind at the bar in the Helm and Cloak within Baldur's Gate, Gretek and his Maulers of Undermountain (Arlin, Caturak, Nader, Pargus, Wilf) will not appear and threaten you.  Is this a bug in FotD, or do they now appear elsewhere?

Cheers

Chris

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 04:37:12 PM »
It is difficult to say, seeing as they do spawn here. The dialogue does contain errors according to Near Infinity, but these remain from BioWare and are usually without importance, at least on my install. Anyway, let us see if it makes any difference. Copy the attacked GORPEL.D (change extension to DLG) to your override folder, go back to an earlier savegame and talk to him again.

-Echon

Offline Chris

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 07:41:30 AM »
I did what you asked and Gretek and his Maulers appeared when and where expected :)  I then removed GORPEL.DLG altogether from the override folder and they still correctly appeared.  Then I restored the GORPEL.DLG that was originally placed there by FotD and Gretek and his Maulers stopped appearing again.  So it does seem to be caused by the GORPEL.DLG that comes with FotD.

What was the file that you attached in your post?  Was it the original version of GORPEL.DLG that came with the game?  Would I be better off using this file or completely removing any instance of GORPEL.DLG from my override folder?

Regards

Offline ElfBane

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 08:02:35 AM »
The DL is not working. I DL'd FotDv1.5 3 times. Every DL is a different size,,,all about 2.4 to 2.6 megs, in RAR format. However the DL screen sez it should be 11 megs in a ZIP format. What's up?

Now(1433 08May) the DL link isn't working at all.

DL link working now(1602ET). I DL'd the mod, it's 2.47 megs in this DL. Where do I extract the files to? There is no installer or readme.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 03:03:18 PM by ElfBane »

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 01:33:58 PM »
I did what you asked and Gretek and his Maulers appeared when and where expected :)  I then removed GORPEL.DLG altogether from the override folder and they still correctly appeared.  Then I restored the GORPEL.DLG that was originally placed there by FotD and Gretek and his Maulers stopped appearing again.  So it does seem to be caused by the GORPEL.DLG that comes with FotD.

I am not sure what GORPEL.DLG you are restoring since it is not included in the FotD install.

What was the file that you attached in your post?  Was it the original version of GORPEL.DLG that came with the game?  Would I be better off using this file or completely removing any instance of GORPEL.DLG from my override folder?

I attached the original file without the minor errors.

The DL is not working. I DL'd FotDv1.5 3 times. Every DL is a different size,,,all about 2.4 to 2.6 megs, in RAR format. However the DL screen sez it should be 11 megs in a ZIP format. What's up?

Now(1433 08May) the DL link isn't working at all.

DL link working now(1602ET). I DL'd the mod, it's 2.47 megs in this DL. Where do I extract the files to? There is no installer or readme.

The file is 11.2 MB, and I just downloaded it. It looks like something is wrong at your end.

-Echon

Offline Chris

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 09:48:47 PM »
My apologies, Echon, you are quite correct.  The GORPEL.DLG that I thought was provided by FotD was actually from the Baldurdash fixpack (version BG1FixPack11.exe).  So it seems that the Baldurdash version of this file is at least partially responsible for the glitch, because it goes away when I remove this file from the override directory.  I wonder why I haven't encountered this issue before with Baldurdash installed?  Could it be some combination effect caused by other files that FotD updates? 

Anyway, it's hardly a serious issue :o ;D  because using the file that you kindly provided, I still get to bash Gretek and his Maulers back under their mountain ;D

If the problem is being caused by some confilict between Baldurdash and FotD, then perhaps there might be some mileage in including this file with the FotD install?  Anyway thanks for your help :)

Chris

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 09:34:22 AM »
I wonder why I haven't encountered this issue before with Baldurdash installed?  Could it be some combination effect caused by other files that FotD updates?

I cannot think of any reason why, but would you mind attaching the Baldurdashed DLG so I can have a look at it?

Anyway, it's hardly a serious issue :o ;D  because using the file that you kindly provided, I still get to bash Gretek and his Maulers back under their mountain ;D

Were they challenging?

-Echon

Offline Chris

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 11:33:52 AM »
I cannot think of any reason why, but would you mind attaching the Baldurdashed DLG so I can have a look at it?

Hmm, I can't seem to find the option to directly attach a file, but the following hyperlinked Baldurdash fixpack contains the GORPEL.DLG that is an exact binary match to the one you have asked for (ie. the one in my override folder).  Although the archive is an executable, the GORPEL.DLG that it contains can easily be extracted using winrar:

http://www.baldurdash.org/LargeDownloads/BG1FixPack11.exe

Were they challenging?

I wouldn't say they were too challenging the last time I did it, but it was still fun kicking their arses :)  If you've made them tougher in FotD, then I'm sure it will be even more satisfying  ;D

Regards

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 12:04:25 PM »
Although the archive is an executable, the GORPEL.DLG that it contains can easily be extracted using winrar:

I did not think of that. I have already got it.

I wouldn't say they were too challenging the last time I did it, but it was still fun kicking their arses :)  If you've made them tougher in FotD, then I'm sure it will be even more satisfying  ;D

Leves and ability scores remain the same as defined by BioWare, but they have been given their full and correct stats and spells, and should be much better at using them.

-Echon

Offline Chris

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 02:17:14 PM »
Leves and ability scores remain the same as defined by BioWare, but they have been given their full and correct stats and spells, and should be much better at using them.

Excellent, I look forward to a more realistic battle 8)

Offline whathuh

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 08:05:32 PM »
I've been having some problems with my Algernon's Cloak after I installed FotD.  Every time I try to charm someone, my character just sits there and looks like he wants to use it, but then gives up.  As far as I know, no charges are even used.

I did some looking myself with DLTCEP, and it seems both the Nymph and Algernon's Cloaks use a new 25 charges (Per day!?) for charming.  There are 13 effects, 12 of which are use eff files CDELFCM[0..5] which I assume are how the cloak determines which races are appicable.  I'm not sure if FotD put these in, but there are 2 sets of them, each with a small difference.

Now, I know there are some changes to many items, but I just can't get this charm to work correctly at all.  I was hoping maybe it would work if I used it on the same race (since maybe the charm works on the opposite sex of the same race).  Unfortunately that's not it either.  If this currently unworking cloak is working fine, I'm not going to worry about it, but if it's not, can someone tell me how it is supposed to work and maybe how to even fix the cloak?

Also, I get that assertion error that's already known about, but in Peldvale with gibberlings, and it's looking for a file in drive D that doesn't even exist, since I unplugged my cd-drive.  Edit:  I just got to Cloakwood Mines level 2, same error.

Finally, I'm not sure what's going on with my game editors, but I can't have them open when I'm running BG.  It's apparently because the Dialogue.tlk is in use.  This may be a BG thing (I think I did it with BG2 all the time).  I also have a tendency to crash DLTCEP when I'm searching scripts or areas.  It's probably for the best, since now I won't be tempted to look for the tomes, but I'd still like to know where character x is located or what in the world was I supposed to do (before Black Isle pulled it) with these Dwarven Wardstones.

Thanks if anyone can help me with any of this.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 09:49:21 PM by whathuh »

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 11:43:41 AM »
I've been having some problems with my Algernon's Cloak after I installed FotD.  Every time I try to charm someone, my character just sits there and looks like he wants to use it, but then gives up.  As far as I know, no charges are even used.

I did some looking myself with DLTCEP, and it seems both the Nymph and Algernon's Cloaks use a new 25 charges (Per day!?) for charming.  There are 13 effects, 12 of which are use eff files CDELFCM[0..5] which I assume are how the cloak determines which races are appicable.  I'm not sure if FotD put these in, but there are 2 sets of them, each with a small difference.

Now, I know there are some changes to many items, but I just can't get this charm to work correctly at all.  I was hoping maybe it would work if I used it on the same race (since maybe the charm works on the opposite sex of the same race).  Unfortunately that's not it either.  If this currently unworking cloak is working fine, I'm not going to worry about it, but if it's not, can someone tell me how it is supposed to work and maybe how to even fix the cloak?

To make sure the cloak works, I pickpocketed it from Algernon, identified it and began Charming everybody in Feldepost's Inn. There is no animation associated with the Charm, which may have made you believe it does not work. Try using it again - if the Charm is successful it should say '[character] - Charmed', if not, it should state a successful saving throw. And no, it does not consume 25 charges per use, 25 is the total amount of charges.

Also, I get that assertion error that's already known about, but in Peldvale with gibberlings, and it's looking for a file in drive D that doesn't even exist, since I unplugged my cd-drive.  Edit:  I just got to Cloakwood Mines level 2, same error.

It is difficult to find out what is wrong when the assertion error does not appear on my install.

Finally, I'm not sure what's going on with my game editors, but I can't have them open when I'm running BG.  It's apparently because the Dialogue.tlk is in use.  This may be a BG thing (I think I did it with BG2 all the time).  I also have a tendency to crash DLTCEP when I'm searching scripts or areas.  It's probably for the best, since now I won't be tempted to look for the tomes, but I'd still like to know where character x is located or what in the world was I supposed to do (before Black Isle pulled it) with these Dwarven Wardstones.

Thanks if anyone can help me with any of this.

If you are having problems with DLTCEP, you should probably let Avenger know about it. As for the Dwarven Wardstones, I think most of them are useless.

-Echon

Offline whathuh

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 08:22:07 PM »
When I used the cloak, I just sit there like I'm about to use it, then nothing happens.  There is no "charmed" or "Save vs. Breath Weapon" that I normally see.  I'm guessing that BG items can't actually have per day charges on them, so the fact that DLTCEP recognizes it as per day does not change the fact that there are still only 25 charges.  I've decided to give up on trying to get the cloak to work correctly, at least for this game.  I just deleted the override and reverted back to the 65535 charged one.  I'm almost 100% certain it is messing up because of the 12 effects before it.  Perhaps if you could tell me what they do and how the cloak should work, I might be able to fix it on my computer.

My assertion error is back again, but this time it's when I CLUA in Yeslick.  If I save the game with him in the party, the error comes up every time.  I realize there's very little anyone can do about it if they don't have it the error themselves, but it seems pretty consistent that level 2 fails for almost everyone who gets the error regularly in their games.  It very well could be that I am on a laptop with XP, since I vaguely remember BG not running on some laptops.  These errors should be what's causing DLTCEP to crash every so often.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 11:21:36 PM »
My assertion error is back again, but this time it's when I CLUA in Yeslick.

This is how the engine works when you do not pick him up where he is supposed to be.

-Echon

Offline whathuh

• Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 07:36:44 PM »
This is how the engine works when you do not pick him up where he is supposed to be.

-Echon
Hmm.  Never knew that.

I think after I get done with this run, I'm going to restart without any of the Dudleyville or Baldurdash fixes, or even UB.  They may be nice, but I'm having a whole lot of problems that you aren't getting at all, most likely because of these things.

Did FotD delete the Angel Skin Ring from Bheren's house in BG North?  It's needed for Petrine's cat quest.

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2006, 08:23:10 PM »
FotD eliminates all kinds of conveniently-placed items. It needn't be that specific ring.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline whathuh

• Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2006, 12:09:32 AM »
While I understand it doesn't have to be that particular ring, it really should be.  Petrine did after all tell you to get that specific one in her uncle's cabinet.  Why did that ring have to go and not the History of the Darkness in the Ulcaster Dungeon?  A search in DLTCEP led to a total of 2 rings in the game.  Of course, that's not including the random ones.  I still know of 2 other places you can get the History of the Darkness.

Also, FotD may or may not be the culprit in my assertion dilemma.  I reinstalled, this time with no Dudley/Baldurdash/UB1, and ar1804 works when I jump to it, but I haven't explored the other areas yet.  It's certainly just incopatability.  Likewise, my cloak works now.  It doesn't work on Ankhegs or the like anymore, but it did work on Farmer Brun, and the range is 0.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: