Author Topic: "Spell ineffective"....cannot kill liches, etc with magic  (Read 5346 times)

Offline Question2

• Planewalker
I dont know why. A standard lich fires off a few spell protections which are easily removed by the pierce magic spells i throw his way, or at least i THINK i removed them because he still has the globe/spell turning graphics. I get the message the spell protections were dispelled though.

After that though i cant touch him with -any- magic. Every spell i cast at him is "spell ineffective". Wtf? Even if he has NO protections active....SPELL INEFFECTIVE. Everything! Not even that but even the damage from globe of blades cant hurt him....you can stand there with it on and the lich will never take any damage from it!

Bone golem is the same. Cant lower its resistance or anything...SPELL INEFFECTIVE.

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
Re: "Spell ineffective"....cannot kill liches, etc with magic
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 09:17:08 AM »
IIRC liches are completely immune to level 5 (and lower) spells.  Lower resistance isn't working because it's a level 5 spell.   Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please. :)
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline Question2

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 09:25:11 AM »
They are?

On a side note why does holyword do NOTHING?

I can cast it and it will do nothing, except waste my time and level 7 slot. All the evil creatures nearby just keep on attacking as per normal. No damage done to them at all. I can cast holy smite and it damages them, but holyword does jack?

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 11:41:33 AM »
IIRC liches are completely immune to level 5 (and lower) spells.  Lower resistance isn't working because it's a level 5 spell.   Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please. :)

Lower Resistance would do no good anyway since liches have magic immunity and not magic resistance.

-Echon

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 02:05:20 PM »
@Echon:  Does this mean that high level spells like horrid wilting will never fail, then? 
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 02:27:08 PM »
Barring spells, potions, and so on, no.

-Echon

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 04:00:14 PM »
Nifty.  I'll have to try that.  I've never used a high level direct damage spell on a lich.  I always just dropped their defenses and had a berserker or warrior/mage (ie someone who can protect himself against imprisonment) hack it to pieces.

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 01:23:51 AM »
Meh. Turn Undead blasts through everything any undead (other than Bodhi) can do. Works a charm.

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 04:01:03 AM »
If you have a priest in the party.....and I usually don't.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 04:11:15 AM »
Meh. Turn Undead blasts through everything any undead (other than Bodhi) can do. Works a charm.

Yes, it is ridiculously unbalanced.

-Echon

Offline Question2

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 06:25:52 AM »
I dunno, my level 15+ cleric cant turn greater mummies, etc, and at that level you can easily rape them in melee or with normal spells anyway.

In BG1 i remember being frustrated that my level 8 cleric couldnt kill skeletons with turn undead.

I also cant turn liches.

My problem in BG2 is i cant seem to find high level damage spells, or spells like ruby ray of reversal. My only anti-magic protection spell not blocked by globe of invulnerability is pierce magic.

I think i only have implosion as a high level damage spell. And for some reason liches are immune to it.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 06:53:42 AM »
Eventually your cleric is going to kill any undead creature with a click on the Turn Undead button. There might be some unique creatures which have been made immune to it, though.

-Echon

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 12:57:23 PM »
As far as I know, the only Undead critters who can't be killed by Turn Undead are the same ones who are immune to the Disruption effect on Azuredge and the MoD: Bohdi, Kangaxx the Lich, and the Demi-Lich in WK. I've never tried it against Vampriric Illithids, though.

I'm currently tinkering with a Paladin Reblancing, which (among other things) would allow Undead Hunters to Turn Undead at twice their actual level, so once you factor in the slower leveling rate, their Turn Undead level would advance at about 1.5 times the rate of a Cleric.

Offline Chiz

• On Probation
  • Planewalker
  • Yee Har is NOT a foreign policy.
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 01:17:57 PM »
I favour chain lightning against liches. If you cast it direct at them it won't work (can't remember why, perhaps the protections...) so cast it on a nearby party member. They don't get hurt, but the lich will be. Lovely.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: