Author Topic: Beta testers: unite! (and fix my stuff)  (Read 11569 times)

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
Beta testers: unite! (and fix my stuff)
« on: April 19, 2006, 11:33:17 PM »
Have any of the testers played through the flaming thugs encounter yet? I was a bit concerned about balance for such an early encounter. Does it work OK, or is it too funky? Do you encounter them in a group, or do they spread out too much? Were they too hard or too easy?

Also, when you get to Baldur's Gate, let us know if you can actually complete the Quoningar quest. I think we stuck it in the inn west of the ducal palace; it'll want you to retrieve an item, but in typical fashion, I don't know that you can really find this item in the later stages of the game (I think there's at least one store that sells a single one). Does it turn hostile if you try to kill it (try hitting it with your fists)?

I'm especially interested in the ice island restoration. Make sure that Dezkiel doesn't show up in AR1009 (the normal labyrinth tunnels), as I'm not positive the code used to disable him works in BG1. Is the lighting in the area OK (the character colors should be reasonably appropriate, and infravision should work everywhere but the main entrance)? Is the height map OK (as the characters are walking, do they bounce up and down too much or have other weird movements)? Is the search reference OK (can they walk through walls or over water, or get too close to obstacles)? Make sure to keep a save from Ulgoth's Beard (before talking to Shandalar and getting sent to the island) so that any updates can be quickly tested.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
Re: Beta testers: unite! (and fix my stuff)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 02:32:03 AM »
devSin,

I just wanted to tell you that for my current game session I didn't install the missing level as Fields of the Dead already fixes this. So I am unable to tell you if your take at it works flawlessly. I hope other betatesters can be of bigger help here... :-\

Offline ElfBane

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 03:55:22 AM »
I'm a long way from BG. Just started Ch.3, and am heading for Beregost to check the Branwen/Tranzig encounter. I clear out the entire South(except Durlaq's) before going to the Gate. I will check the Ice island stuff though, when i get there.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 02:06:19 PM »
Has anyone been to Baldur's Gate yet? Do you have any opinions on the FF reinforcement encounter (even if just from memory)? To the Ice Island (even if you have to CLUA there)?

I'd like to at least know that they don't crash the game before release... :-)

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 02:08:44 PM »
I just wanted to tell you that for my current game session I didn't install the missing level as Fields of the Dead already fixes this. So I am unable to tell you if your take at it works flawlessly. I hope other betatesters can be of bigger help here... :-\
Would you be willing to install it on top of FotD and then just jump to the area and run through (CTRL-Y everybody and whatnot)? (You can roll back the installation and then continue with an earlier save afterward.) The way it's coded, it should work on top of FotD without breaking anything.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 02:32:26 PM »
I'll certainly do it, devSin. I'll report here if it worked like we hope!  ;)

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 10:41:09 AM »
devSin, I have teleported to the Ice cave and cleared the maze. What exactly am I supposed to find and test here ? Thanks!

Edit: Something seems to be wrong here. I arrive at the Ice Island and when I enter the cave instead of entering by the entrance (according to the graphical walkthrough made by Duldey http://www.dudleyville.com/bg1/ar1008.htm) I enter by the exit of the maze where I should challenge Dezkiel and get the cloack requested by Shandalar! And when I enter there is no Dezkiel but two invisible stalkers instead.

Both exits lead me back outside the cave where the polar bear is...

Now I am very confused here... ???
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 11:10:58 AM by Salk »

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 02:00:38 PM »
The invisible stalkers don't concern me. These are changes made by FotD; you shouldn't find Dezkiel on this level anymore, so that's good.

The fact that you enter at the wrong entrance, and can't get to the caves, is very bad.

Have you only installed FotD and the BG1UB fixpack (Dudleyville and Baldurdash are OK)? I want to make sure that I only have to check against the FotD ARE files.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 02:21:03 PM »
OK, it looks like FotD changes the starting point (why?), so you should be entering at the exit.

I'm unable to confirm any issue in the patch. Even with that change, the ar1010 door (which will be the same as where you entered) should be taking you to AR1010? Have you ever visited the ice island before jumping here (i.e., is it possible the AREs are already in the saved game)?

The original AR1008 entrance (opposite of where you enter in FotD 1.0.4) should auto-save (this is something we add, so if it doesn't, the patch isn't working right).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 02:36:53 PM by devSin »

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 02:23:57 PM »
Because something is wrong, something I thought I had already fixed. It will be dealt with immediatly.

-Echon

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 01:11:26 AM »
Please Echon warn us once you have fixed this so that I can try and see if it works...

Offline ElfBane

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 03:20:24 AM »
Have any of the testers played through the flaming thugs encounter yet? I was a bit concerned about balance for such an early encounter. Does it work OK, or is it too funky? Do you encounter them in a group, or do they spread out too much? Were they too hard or too easy?

Also, when you get to Baldur's Gate, let us know if you can actually complete the Quoningar quest. I think we stuck it in the inn west of the ducal palace; it'll want you to retrieve an item, but in typical fashion, I don't know that you can really find this item in the later stages of the game (I think there's at least one store that sells a single one). Does it turn hostile if you try to kill it (try hitting it with your fists)?

I'm especially interested in the ice island restoration. Make sure that Dezkiel doesn't show up in AR1009 (the normal labyrinth tunnels), as I'm not positive the code used to disable him works in BG1. Is the lighting in the area OK (the character colors should be reasonably appropriate, and infravision should work everywhere but the main entrance)? Is the height map OK (as the characters are walking, do they bounce up and down too much or have other weird movements)? Is the search reference OK (can they walk through walls or over water, or get too close to obstacles)? Make sure to keep a save from Ulgoth's Beard (before talking to Shandalar and getting sent to the island) so that any updates can be quickly tested.

Where are the flaming thugs?

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 04:09:12 AM »
Please Echon warn us once you have fixed this so that I can try and see if it works...

v1.05 deals with this bug.

-Echon

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 08:38:48 AM »
Where are the flaming thugs?
They are in the area directly south of Beregost.

@Salk: Let me know if you still have issues with the UB ice island (I don't think the FotD fix will entirely solve your problem).

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 08:52:48 AM »
devsin,

I have been south of Beregost and I don't remember any flaming thugs there...Hopefully I can check it again with an old saved game...

Offline ElfBane

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 12:58:41 PM »
I concur. I encountered no flaming thugs just South of Beregost. Nothing was unusual there except for there was more than one FF enforcer, but I believe that's part of UB.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 01:32:31 PM »
That's what I'm talking about. :-) Sorry for the confusion.

Did it work OK?

Offline ElfBane

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 01:58:36 PM »
Yes, the encounter went as if there was only one. I always 'talk them down' 'cause the party is so weak that early, so I didn't try to fight 3 FF enforcers.

I am sorry for the confusion too. I thought you meant you had added some bandits with flame arrows!!

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 02:47:21 PM »
Yes,I remember the Flaming Fist Mercenaries. The encounter went smoothly. No worries about it, DevSin!

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 11:05:45 AM »
devSin,

I am proud to report that now FotD 1.05 and your restored Ice Island level works together flawlessly!!  :D

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: