Author Topic: BETA 2 Download  (Read 43548 times)

Online Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Re: BETA 2 Download
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2006, 05:43:21 PM »
Is AR1808 part of the Minor Area Restorations? Never seen it before. Neat.

No, it has always been there.

-Echon

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2006, 04:31:15 PM »
Inside the large estate in NE Beregost: The Nobleman's name is Gerard Travenhurst, so why do the guards reference "Mr. Halimstad," who is nowhere to be found?
I'll look into this for a future release.  It's not a bug, really, just something that should be changed eventually.

The ReadMe mentions Safana the Flirt. Where does Minsc the Flirt come from? He got the ability at Level 3.
I think the "Safana the Flirt" component needs to be removed until a better way of handling it can be found.

Typo in Restored Minor Dialogs: "...the guards will be one you so fast..."
I'm not finding this one offhand.  Can you be a bit more specific as to the location?

Aldeth's Blur ring is really creepy. It makes it nearly impossible to trust him, and I think it detracts from the roleplaying scenario of asking the player to decide who is right & wrong. If the Blur effect was meant to augment Aldeth's stats, I would say that combat statistics are nearly irrelevant against a party that just plowed through the Bandit Camp.
Removed.

Kagain's script to move to Silvershield's son should take lower priority than reacting to enemies. I had to stop and tell him to kill the Bandit that was standing over the body.
Will look into it.
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2006, 04:39:41 PM »
Scar and the Sashenstars' Daughter: Scar wants the wrong body: He gives the reward for the Female Body, and you can't give him the Female Noble's Body. Also, when Scar asks you for the Ruby Ring (and the game checks if you have it), he doesn't take it from you--instead, he takes it from you at the same time that he takes the body, creating the potential exploit of showing him the Ring, and then dropping it before handing over the body so you can keep it to sell.
I would fix this so that when Scar asks if you found the ring, and you say yes, you hand it over, and Scar rewards you with some EXP and 250 gold, roughly 25% the resale value of a Ruby Ring.
Fixed (I think) along with a bug involving Arkion.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2006, 10:14:31 PM »
Is AR1808 part of the Minor Area Restorations? Never seen it before. Neat.
No, it has always been there.
Doh. So much for my reputation for encyclopedic knowledge of the game.  :-[

Typo in Restored Minor Dialogs: "...the guards will be one you so fast..."
I'm not finding this one offhand.  Can you be a bit more specific as to the location?
Friendly Arm Inn, 2nd floor, in the room at the back with the cheap beds. It might not be UB at all, of course, I just never noticed it before. Would you like us to report bugs / typos that might not be UB?

In case the answer to that is yes, I wish Nalen Darkwalk would check to see if Alatos 'Ravenscar" Thuibild and Resar are still alive before he stabs Resar for wanting to kill his (Nalen's) new best friend.
[Translation: If you want to get two Biff the Understudies into the Thieves' Guild, just complete the Skyship quests, and, while Nalen is off on one of his missions, take revenge on Alatos for setting you up. Then talk to Nalen when you both get back from the second mission.]

Fixed (I think) along with a bug involving Arkion.
Yay for bugfixes!  :D : does happy dance :

I've been mod-designing for a couple of days, now I'm back to gaming. New thoughts:

Why the heck does Lothander have Boots of Speed???

The three tents in The Wide, AR0724, AR0725, AR0726, all have no internal lights after sunset. Changes the atmosphere from Happy Gambling Place to something more akin to a Haunted House. I sure don't remember this from the original game, but then again I never gambled.

Yet another damn incorrect Costak reference. Talk to the Diviner in Chapter 5. Who is the leader of the Iron Throne? "They are led by Rieltar Costak."

Scrolls of Raise Dead cannot be targeted on dead party members.

Entar Silvershield: It's good that he's there, but the conversation leaves, well, pretty much everything to be desired.
Entar Silvershield- "Guards! We have intruders." (leaves)
CHARNAME- "Hi, I'm here to see Eltan Silvershield."
Guard- "All right then, carry on."
Granted, I had 19 Charisma at the time, but still. I'll scratch my head and try to come up with something solid. Good call with all the extra Servants, though. The place seemed pretty desolate before.

AR0018: Even with ToSC, the official patch, BaldurDash, and UB installed, the containers here are still a few pixels off-center of where they should be, and the one with the bugged lockpick flag still cannot be opened by any means. Surely there must be someone who wants to see this fixed. (Note: The frustrated nature of this comment is not directed at you and/or the BG1 UB team, icelus, I just have difficulty coming to terms with the fact that this damn bug has been around since the initial release of BG1.)

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2006, 10:26:22 PM »
The three tents in The Wide, AR0724, AR0725, AR0726, all have no internal lights after sunset. Changes the atmosphere from Happy Gambling Place to something more akin to a Haunted House. I sure don't remember this from the original game, but then again I never gambled.
Yeah. They're marked outdoor areas in the original game.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2006, 10:37:48 PM »
Well, that's kinda dumb, then.

Solution 1: Turn the dang lights on.
Solution 2: Everybody goes home after dark.
Solution 3: The gamblers go home, and the Courtesans come out. And lots of guys named "John."

I'm just saying.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2006, 10:49:30 PM »
I wasn't contending. That they are marked outdoors is a bug; I'm simply saying that's the reason they have dawn/dusk/day/night effects.

If it isn't appropriate for a future release of UB, then I imagine it will be fixed in the BG1 fixpack. (IIRC, Dudleyville already corrects this.)

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2006, 03:03:54 AM »
Great, a potential game-killing bug.

In the original game, blowing off Lothander means he hangs around near the Diviner's tent, waiting for you to come to your senses (probably because somebody in the party's started puking). Now, apparently, if you don't immediately do what he says, he'll still stand around and do nothing, except now he won't say anything, either. No "I have a Geas on me," no "Step in here to the Diviner's tent," none of that. Just, "Oh, my life is in shambles."

Does UB touch Lothander's behavior at all, or is this probably just random chance?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 11:40:50 AM by SixOfSpades »

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2006, 01:32:26 PM »
More area-resetting wierdness.

I visited Arkion with a Male Body, Female Body, and Female Noble's Body in my inventory, then Saved my game and proceeded to experiment with how he reacted to each one. (Male = as normal, Female = No Valid Replies or Links, Female Noble = Does not detect it.) Then I Reloaded, gave him the Male and dumped the two others on his floor. I wasn't sure I'd looted his house yet, so I took a Medium Shield+1 and 8gp from the chest right behind him, then took the party upstairs. When we came back down, the corpses were gone, and the chest held another Medium Shield+1 and 8gp. It was still the same Arkion, though; he knew we'd completed his quest. "Live long in the stench of the dead, cousin."

I'll archive the Save in case you want it. There might be some tweakiness to it, though, I had to mess with the Globals and reset the whole Poison quest.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2006, 10:38:06 PM »
I've been of the opinion that the Wood of Sharp Teeth covers 4 maps in the game: Larswood, the "Spider" map east of Larswood, Peldvale, and the Bandit Camp. So, to me, "southwest corner of the Wood of Sharp Teeth" means Larswood--which I scoured, but found no Ogre-Magi. I checked the thread and saw the reference to AR1900. . . I don't know where that is, but if it's "the map north of Durlag's Tower," then it's a whole lot further south than I expected. I thought that the Beregost Temple and the Basilisk maps constituted the southern border of the Sharp Teeth, since they're both desert.
Suggestion: I would place the Ogre-Magi in Larswood, either at the start of Chapter 5 or upon talking to Shilo. There are plenty of clearings there, and the time it takes for the party to get to the Cloakwood Mines & back (about 2 weeks) is plenty of time for new monsters to repopulate a wilderness area. I don't think 3 Ogre-Magi and a few Ogrekin followers is too much for a Chapter 5 party, especially since the only reason you're likely to go back there is because Shilo told you to expect Ogre-Magi.

I was wrong about the farmer who complains about people dumping stuff in the lakes--he would work better in Peldvale. No enemies ever spawn in the southwest corner of Peldvale (unless you Rest there), so I'd stick him there, and move Ted the hunter there, too (who's currently hanging out in the north of the area, casually standing there alone as all manner of Bandits wander around him).

I'm now in Gullykin, exploring what I think are Restored Minor Dialogs.
The first time you talk to Bunsen, all 3 of your conversation options are given twice.
When talking to him again, he says his line normally, but then kicks you right out of conversation mode where there would usually be an 'End Conversation' button first. Arlond, Farthendell, and Mabledale do the same thing, as does a Halfling Woman on the "often we see an adventurer twice" line.
Farthendell's only line begins, "Again we meet," which is certainly odd since you've never seen him before.

The Halfling Enforcers are nice, but when they appear, they wander randomly instead of initiating conversation.

The sign outside says "Temple of Yondalla and Alvanhendar's Fine Wines," but ask to see their services and they're a "Temple of Helm."

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2006, 02:31:16 AM »
Not much to report, but I figure I'd better post it before I forget about it entirely. Neither of these things are UB, but. . . you know.

Firewine Dungeon: Is it somehow flagged as an outdoor area? Whenever my screen is centered on or near the room with the 6 Ghosts, I can hear a hawk in the ambient sounds.  ???

Why is the Undead Knight worth only 65 EXP? Something like 650 would be closer to the mark.

That is all.

Online Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2006, 02:48:58 AM »
Firewine Dungeon: Is it somehow flagged as an outdoor area? Whenever my screen is centered on or near the room with the 6 Ghosts, I can hear a hawk in the ambient sounds.  ???

It is flagged as a dungeon and it has no ambients. The sound must be coming from the Ghost Knights.

Why is the Undead Knight worth only 65 EXP? Something like 650 would be closer to the mark.

It is probably an oversight - even on my part. I forgot to adjust his XP value in FotD. 420 or 650 sounds reasonable.

-Echon

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2006, 02:00:44 PM »
Yeah. They're marked outdoor areas in the original game.

I've fixed this.  It'll be in v4.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2006, 02:07:54 PM »
Re: Lothander

He wound up with the Boots of Speed as a result of trying to correct typos in creature inventories.  BW gave him BOOTO1, and I changed it to BOOT01.  It's changed to BOOT02 (Boots of Stealth) for v4.

As for his dialogue... I could have fucked something up.  I have this code in u!minor.d:

REPLACE_STATE_TRIGGER LOTHAN 0 ~Global("LothanderMove","GLOBAL",3) Global("HelpLothander","GLOBAL",0)~
REPLACE_STATE_TRIGGER LOTHAN 10 ~Global("LothanderMove","GLOBAL",9) Global("HelpLothander","GLOBAL",1)~

The original triggers for those states are:
LOTHAN 0 ~Global("LothanderMove","GLOBAL",3) SetGlobal("HelpLothander","GLOBAL",0)
LOTHAN 10 ~Global("LothanderMove","GLOBAL",9) SetGlobal("HelpLothander","GLOBAL",1)~

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2006, 02:09:24 PM »
@Six

Would you be willing to do me a big favor and make a master list of all the stuff you're finding?  I'm feeling being a bit overwhelmed trying to go over this thread.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2006, 02:14:21 PM »
re: Arkion

Were you using v3 when you did that part of the quest?  I think v3 fixed the No Valid Replies or Links problem.  I'll add something for the noble's body.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2006, 02:33:20 PM »
The sign outside says "Temple of Yondalla and Alvanhendar's Fine Wines," but ask to see their services and they're a "Temple of Helm."

Because I'm stupid and forgot to edit his dialogue to call up the new store.  Will fix.

EDIT: That is to say... I did make the change, but I must have gotten the file mixed up with the Tutu version, so it's trying to replace _TEM4802 with _TEM4003, neither of which exist.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2006, 02:37:49 PM »
The Halfling Enforcers are nice, but when they appear, they wander randomly instead of initiating conversation.

I'll try assigning them initdlg and see if it helps.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2006, 05:07:49 AM »
re: Arkion
Were you using v3 when you did that part of the quest?
I'll answer that quote with another quote.
Try and use this thread for bugs from BETA 2 installations only, though.
And so I am. :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 10:27:43 PM by SixOfSpades »

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2006, 10:27:04 PM »
Snipped & moved down.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 01:29:12 AM by SixOfSpades »

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2006, 10:46:53 PM »
Well, dude, you might be one of the few and the proud (or possibly only, for that matter) with a solid BG1 install testing this, but your beta-test work is certainly appreciated.  I wish I could assist, but am bogged down in Tutu-stuff. All I can promise is that once you have made it through and there is a Tutu version, I can try to be as complete, thorough, and detailed as you are in reporting, logging, and commenting. It doesn't help now, I know -- but you are certainly paying-it-forward for the community 8).

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2006, 11:18:02 PM »
Dude, am I the only person beta-testing this?
Well, the beta is sorta... over. I really hope you're using the latest release version to playtest (you should be)!

Temple of Yondalla & Alvenhendar's Fine Wines: It bugs me a bit that you can't actually buy wine here. Or, in fact, sleep in any indoor area in Gullykin, despite their renowned Halfling hospitality. And whenever I wander through there, I always seem to find myself wishing there was a place where I could sell off my excess gems/jewelry/etc. I know it's not really UB, but could we add a Tavern/Store to the basement of the Temple/Winery?
I have no problem with adding wine (is there a generic bottle that doesn't belong to the gnome in FAI?), but I don't think we should put anymore stuff in Gullykin. The extra halflings and halfling enforcers is already almost too much content for this tiny region.

I'll work out some dialogue for Entar Silvershield when I have more free time. Ha! Unless somebody else does it first.
Go for it.

Feldane, an Old Friend: When talking about the guests staying in Candlekeep, he says "Three are from the Iron Throne, supposedly the leaders themselves." Except that there are only two, Rieltar and Brunos, since Sarevok is almost certainly heavily disguised (he certainly wouldn't claim allegiance with the Iron Throne) and not even Reiltar knows of his presence.
Isn't Thaldorn (or whoever) also supposed to be there? Or does he stay behind?

The guy who offers to smuggle the party across the Wyrm's Crossing bridge would be more believable if he didn't lead you right up to a Flaming Fist Mercenary (who, incidentally, has nothing to say). I would remove all FFist creatures from the area when you pay the guy to sneak you into town.
I thought the flaming fist were supposed to change dialogue in Chapter 7 (or just leave). Worth checking?

If feasible, I'd like the Permanent Corpses in the Crossroads map start to decay normally after the player clicks the "Info" cursor on the southern caravan. The body of the Silvershield's son becomes a skeleton, the other bodies disappear. Similarly, the body of the Halfling south of Beregost should start to decay after delivering Mirianne the letter.
I don't know if Clicked() works for info points. If so, it'll be something to check, otherwise it would have to wait until Kagain's quest remark. The halfling shouldn't be tough, but it might be better to start the decay after the player gets the letter, no?

Giving Lothander Boots of Stealth would bring the in-game total up to 4, which I think is rather high. And considering that the only times the player could get them (without breaking the Poison quest and thus killing themselves) are a 3-second interval in BG northeast, a 3-second interval in BG Central, and another 2-second interval in the Blade & Stars, so it hardly seems relevant to give him any special inventory at all.
He already had the boots. The resref was bugged, so they never showed up before.

I have similar issues with the Cloak(s) of Non-Detection; its Description implies, but does not state, that it's unique. I've only played 1 1/2 games of BG1 in the past couple of years, so I forget where the Cloak of the Shield is placed in-game. Could Ordulinian give the CotS instead of the CoND as the "reward" for the Arkion-Nemphre "quest"?
Is there even a dispel invisibility effect in BG? I'd want to believe there is, but I don't remember (and non-detection doesn't really work anyway).

I reinstalled BG1 using the same old scratched disks I've been using for years, and it seems I've lost some data. Some spell effects (Stinking Cloud, mainly, but only when cast by an enemy, and what's up with that?) intermittently cause a crash to desktop, with the message "An Assertion failed in D:\Dev\Baldur\CGameEffect.cpp at line number 1122."
This is the problem with the elven racial immunities to charm and sleep.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 11:20:21 PM by devSin »

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2006, 11:25:24 PM »
Great, a potential game-killing bug.

In the original game, blowing off Lothander means he hangs around near the Diviner's tent, waiting for you to come to your senses (probably because somebody in the party's started puking). Now, apparently, if you don't immediately do what he says, he'll still stand around and do nothing, except now he won't say anything, either. No "I have a Geas on me," no "Step in here to the Diviner's tent," none of that. Just, "Oh, my life is in shambles."

Does UB touch Lothander's behavior at all, or is this probably just random chance?
I wasn't able to reproduce this.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2006, 03:31:47 AM »
Well, dude, you might be one of the few and the proud (or possibly only, for that matter) with a solid BG1 install testing this, but your beta-test work is certainly appreciated.  ... you are certainly paying-it-forward for the community.
Wow--I get glory and praise for playing a game.  8)

Thanks, but don't grow to depend on it; much as the mod needs testers, I got a really magnificent roll with this guy, and we're going to go play BG2 for a while now, thanks. Besides, it's not like I haven't given icelus enough to think about. :) And UB for BG1 needs a Version 1 for Tutu more than it needs a Version 4 for straight BG1.

Well, the beta is sorta... over. I really hope you're using the latest release version to playtest (you should be)!
Hey, if the thing still contains at least 1 bug that causes a crash to desktop (Elven Sleep/Charm resistances) then it's still in beta, or at least it should be. :P And this thread is only for Version 2, so there.

I have no problem with adding wine (is there a generic bottle that doesn't belong to the gnome in FAI?), but I don't think we should put anymore stuff in Gullykin. The extra halflings and halfling enforcers is already almost too much content for this tiny region.
There's the jugs of De'Tranion's Baalor Ale that are added in ToSC, or a recoloring of one of the Potions would do the trick. The "extra content" could be pretty dang minimal--as little as an extra conversation option when talking to Alvenhendar, so the player can choose whether they'd like to see a Temple or a Tavern/Store.

Feldane, an Old Friend: When talking about the guests staying in Candlekeep, he says "Three are from the Iron Throne, supposedly the leaders themselves." Except that there are only two, Rieltar and Brunos, since Sarevok is almost certainly heavily disguised (he certainly wouldn't claim allegiance with the Iron Throne) and not even Reiltar knows of his presence.
Isn't Thaldorn (or whoever) also supposed to be there?
The player is very likely to kill Thaldorn in Chapter 5, and even if you don't, he doesn't appear anywhere after that.

I thought the flaming fist were supposed to change dialogue in Chapter 7 (or just leave). Worth checking?
This FFister isn't inside the city and doesn't try to arrest you; he's the one who wanders around on the bridge, charges you 6gp for crossing it, and introduces you to Scar. After that, BioWare forgot all about him, and didn't give him anything else to do or say. It's probably just a coincidence that the Smuggler led us right up to him.

I don't know if Clicked() works for info points. If so, it'll be something to check, otherwise it would have to wait until Kagain's quest remark. The halfling shouldn't be tough, but it might be better to start the decay after the player gets the letter, no?
I don't know if it works, either, I just thought I'd throw it out there. About starting the Halfling's decay after the party picks up the letter; I try to shy away from inventory-checking scripts in large areas, because I don't know if they might be too clunky to leave running all the time, so I suggested pinning it to a more discrete event. But what do I know.

[Lothander] already had the boots. The resref was bugged, so they never showed up before.
Yeah, I'm just saying that I think 4 pairs of them is a little much.

Is there even a dispel invisibility effect in BG? I'd want to believe there is, but I don't remember (and non-detection doesn't really work anyway).
The spell does exist, but nobody ever uses it. With the possible exception of mods that I've never played.

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2006, 10:56:12 AM »
Wow--I get glory and praise for playing a game.  8)

Thanks, but don't grow to depend on it; much as the mod needs testers, I got a really magnificent roll with this guy, and we're going to go play BG2 for a while now, thanks. Besides, it's not like I haven't given icelus enough to think about. :) And UB for BG1 needs a Version 1 for Tutu more than it needs a Version 4 for straight BG1.

Well, sorta...  you were getting Mad Props for reporting stuff, not playing :). I lurked for years before I figured out these folks want to/are driven to/are obsessed with fixing stuff, so that they know that the work they have put in gets it right. They can't do that if people just play, hit a snag, say WTF, and jump on to a new game!

Besides, any fixes for BG1UB "Luddite" BG1 players mean cooler playing experience for us "high-tech" Tutu players ;D.
Sorry for the digression off topic, oh threadmasters -- I now return you to your regular bug-fixing details.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: