Author Topic: Salk's Suggestions  (Read 22234 times)

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
Re: Salk's Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2006, 03:10:21 PM »
Icelus,

I am just speaking of the BG1 Fixpack over at G3's...Development Wiki, you know... :P I seem to remember having seen you work on it with a couple of entries for the .tp2 ? If not forgive me...I'm getting old...

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2006, 03:11:55 PM »
I am not sure I have understood: can we or can we not get rid of that silly lightning striking the party and having no real effect in the game ?
If it is a spell as suspected, then it would be trivial to remove the projectile and effects, but this isn't going to happen. Which leaves two choices: leave it alone, or fix it so that it does 50% of max HP damage (or at least some damage). Players may revolt if we suddenly start killing them with random lightning strikes, so I'm in favor of just letting it be.

Of course we can't let it give real damage...The removal of it would be the only sensible solution. Too bad it can't be done... :-\

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2006, 03:43:41 PM »
Icelus,

I am just speaking of the BG1 Fixpack over at G3's...Development Wiki, you know... :P I seem to remember having seen you work on it with a couple of entries for the .tp2 ? If not forgive me...I'm getting old...

No, all I did was just post the code on the Wiki.  The BG1 Fixpack is still very much Idobek's project.
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2006, 01:22:28 AM »
Is there a real reason why after flooding the Cloakwood's Mines we still have the Key to River Plug in the inventory. I say we might remove it after its use...

Just like the Wyvern Head also the Ankheg Shell comes with no information about its weight in the description in my installation...

I am approaching Baldur's Gate...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 01:41:15 AM by Salk »

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2006, 03:48:54 AM »
I finish the quest about the Umberlee Bowl in the hands of the fisherman in AR1400 demanding the bowl back to be returned to the Umberlee priestess dwelling north of here.

They give it to me and then turn hostile which is absolutely wrong. Can you reproduce this ? In the unmodded game I am 100% positive they do not become hostile but just leave and disappear (as it often happens when a quest is completed)...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 03:55:27 AM by Salk »

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 09:05:36 AM »
@Salk: They actually turn hostile and disappear (if you don't kill them) in unmodded BG1.
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 11:01:42 AM »
Drew,

okay...then they behave the same but still it's something that needs to be patched. They should not turn hostile.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2006, 04:39:05 AM »
There are some problems with the Scrolls of Cone of Cold being part of the random treasures. I find them really too often. I count 16 scrolls of Cone of Cold found in the first part of the game. Can't they be part of a more rare random treasure category ? The way it is now unbalances the game as you get way too many of them...

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2006, 08:35:18 PM »
Of course we can't let it [the weather lightning] give real damage...The removal of it would be the only sensible solution. Too bad it can't be done... :-\
Why can't we let it do real damage? If it's limited to, say, 25% of the victim's max. health, that seems a fair compromise. Only players who let their characters march around Badly Injured all the time would be at risk, and one could easily say that they deserve to be taught a lesson about roleplaying.

In a perfect world, the lightning would prefer to strike tall characters wearing metal armor and holding metal weapons, but I doubt that could ever be implemented. But is it not possible to alter the lightning spell to create an invisible creature next to a party member, and strike that instead of them?

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2006, 08:52:41 PM »
If I were to mess around with the lightning, I'd make it kill the character.  Not many people can survive a lightning strike...

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 01:44:22 AM »
SixOfSpades,

this time we don't agree...A lightning that from the sky hits a characters and damages them (like Ice says if a lightning strikes you I don't think you can make it off with a small wound) is totally out of game contest not to mention it'd be comparable to one of those cheap deads I have always hated in games.

True is that with nothing we can do to remove this horrible bug (because I just consider it such), it's almost worse to have it deal no damage at all...Perhaps your suggestion of having it hit an invisible creature can be possible but I doubt it.

Ice,

having the strike directly kill the character would be absolutely horrible...Please do not mess with it...  ;D

Offline ElfBane

• Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 02:59:02 AM »
The odds of even getting struck by lightning are quite high. Even when you walk around in thunderstorms, the odds are high.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2006, 03:48:10 AM »
Can we at least lower the odds in some way ? There must be some randomness in this...

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2006, 12:52:00 PM »
If I were to mess around with the lightning, I'd make it kill the character.  Not many people can survive a lightning strike...

Quote from: Science
You're wrong.

:P

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2006, 01:08:28 PM »
OK, I will concede that more people survive lightning stikes than are killed, but the effects of the strike, from the burns to internal tissue damage, etc., are severe and debilitating.  Characters should be knocked unconscious and dropped to, like, 1 HP.

But, since I've no intention of fucking around with the game's handling of lightning, this debate is pretty moot.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2006, 01:23:44 PM »
We could give the affected PCs a special script that introduces the stutter bug so Jaheira will have a nervous tick for the rest of the game!

Anyway, I voted to leave it alone at the very beginning, so no complaints from me.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2006, 11:40:12 AM »
One more thing, can you please check if the description of the Wyvern's Head is missing informations about its weight ? If it's so in a plain BG1 installation with Baldurdash I'd say it's time to patch this up...
Added, along with the Winter Wolf Pelt and the Ankheg Shell.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2006, 11:51:26 AM »
As reported in another forum, zombies have the skeleton sounds associated to their "Dying" and "Hit" variables...We should correct this...

Added.  Thanks, Macready.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2006, 11:53:21 AM »
Hello -

* Ingot (AR5200), a Gnoll that advises you about a prisoner hold in the Gnoll fortress even if Dynaheir is in the party. Is it possible to cancel such encounter once Dynaheir is set free ?

* More serious this one: Laryssa, cousin of Brage will still confront you after you finished the quest demanding you to leave poor Brage alone (AR4100)

OK, these are coded.  I just have to test it.

I'm surprised you had that Laryssa issue.  It looked like she is scripted to force talk you on sight, a couple seconds after she sees you.  Once that happens, the only possible results are her leaving or fighting you.

I'm lazy.  Would you up for sharing code?  :)

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2006, 12:35:17 PM »
Is there a real reason why after flooding the Cloakwood's Mines we still have the Key to River Plug in the inventory. I say we might remove it after its use...

Just like the Wyvern Head also the Ankheg Shell comes with no information about its weight in the description in my installation...

I am approaching Baldur's Gate...

All added.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2006, 10:39:15 PM »
Hello -

* Ingot (AR5200), a Gnoll that advises you about a prisoner hold in the Gnoll fortress even if Dynaheir is in the party. Is it possible to cancel such encounter once Dynaheir is set free ?

* More serious this one: Laryssa, cousin of Brage will still confront you after you finished the quest demanding you to leave poor Brage alone (AR4100)

I'm lazy.  Would you up for sharing code?  :)

I will, if you want.  Laryssa I modified by changing the IF ~True()~ in her dialog state 0 to IF ~Global("MetBrage","GLOBAL",0)~, and more importantly, by doing an EXTEND_TOP of her override script (_larys.bcs) with this code:

Code: [Select]
IF
  Global("MetBrage","GLOBAL",1)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    EscapeArea()
END

As for Ingot, since his sole purpose is to sell the girl-trapped-at-gnoll-fortress quest, I just have him EscapeArea() if that quest is already done, eliminating the encounter entirely.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2006, 11:49:39 AM »
There are some problems with the Scrolls of Cone of Cold being part of the random treasures. I find them really too often. I count 16 scrolls of Cone of Cold found in the first part of the game. Can't they be part of a more rare random treasure category ? The way it is now unbalances the game as you get way too many of them...

Are any other beta testers getting this? 

You know, I'd really love to hear *something* from you guys.  :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: