Author Topic: Area file corruption  (Read 924 times)

Offline Duality

• Planewalker
Area file corruption
« on: April 10, 2006, 04:14:51 PM »
I have an area file that wont open in NI OR DLTCEP. NI returns some sort of null and DLTCEP just doesn't like it.
And it's NOT null.... There's a whole bunch of information in it that I need to edit. But I have didn't make the area originally, so I can't recreate it either.
I thought maybe the download was corrupted, so I re-downloaded it, but no luck.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

The file is part of the planarsphere mod, called arpsq2. I can upload it somewhere if anyone wants to take a look at it.

Any help would be appreciated because at the moment I am going to be reduced to editing the datafork, and that sucks.
"I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter."

"There is a certain freedom in being totally screwed. It means that nothing you do is going to make it any worse."

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
Re: Area file corruption
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 05:11:43 PM »
If NI reports "null," then it's most likely trying to read past EOF. Use HexEdit and the IESDP to verify the counts (both top-level structures, and items and vertices) and the offsets. Afterward, make sure that all the item and vertex indexes are correct.

Offline Duality

• Planewalker
Re: Area file corruption
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 10:42:44 PM »
Wow. You win the prize. I would never have figured that out on my own.

It was the "spawn on rest" offset that was the problem, well, it seems to have a few other problems but that was why I couldn't open it. Once I changed it to the actual line reference, it worked fine!

Yay!
Thank you thank you thank you!
"I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter."

"There is a certain freedom in being totally screwed. It means that nothing you do is going to make it any worse."

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: